Disturbing Image in Baltimore City

bthom.adam

Oh God....
Feb 9, 2010
Yesterday, I had to venture out, after the record breaking snowstorm, into west Baltimore to go to my girlfriends college audition. It was hell. We turned down a street to get to were we had to be and I saw something that made me sick to my stomache. to the right of us was a Methadone Clinic. Our tax money at work. AT LEAST 300 addicts blocking our way to get their fixings for the next week. How pathetic?

Yesterday, I had to venture out, after the record breaking snowstorm, into west Baltimore to go to my girlfriends college audition. It was hell. We turned down a street to get to were we had to be and I saw something that made me sick to my stomache. to the right of us was a Methadone Clinic. Our tax money at work. AT LEAST 300 addicts blocking our way to get their fixings for the next week. How pathetic?

For Baltimore, that ain't shit .......

Sad thing is that probably every one of them were collecting Social Security disability.

They still doing that? That was a grand experiment that was supposed to end the problem 40 years ago.

I guess it didn't work.

Methadone helps settle your stomach.

Actually, what I find far more disturbing is the inherent prejudice and hatred for your fellow man expressed in these posts. These are people with a medical problem trying to get better, not pleasure seeking partyers trying to get high. I know you may assume that the likes of these folks would not be reading here, but you'd be wrong.

I am a 45 year old married mom of 3. I work full time, own my home, and have a college degree. I attend church, volunteer a great deal of my spare time to help others, and am involved in numerous community projects and activities. I pay all my bills, on time. That includes my CLINIC bill. Because I am also a methadone patient.

I became addicted to prescription painkillers many years ago, and was not able to get clean through abstinence based rehab--primarily due to the fact that long term opiate use/abuse can cause permanent changes in the brain chemistry, causing the brain to cease producing natural opiates (endorphins). Methadone replaces the missing endorphins, enabling the patient to feel normal--not high, not euphoric--normal. It is not a cure--there is no cure--it treats the symptoms and enables the patient to live a productive life. It is the most effective method for treating opioid addiction by far, far more effective than traditional rehabs and 12 step groups.

People assume that methadone patients are all on the public dole. The truth is, the majority of clinics today are PRIVATE PAY with the patients paying anywhere from $65 to $200 per week for their treatment, which includes counseling, drug testing, etc. Patients must show that they have a legitimate income and can pay for treatment.

People also assume that most methadone patients are homeless, jobless, have little education and are addicted to IV heroin. The facts are, today's clinics are about 75% Rx painkiller addicts and only about 25% heroin addicts. Patients come from ALL walks of life--atttorneys, nurses, teachers, business owners, suburban moms, college students, etc. Doubtless you know some already--without knowing it. Methadone does not cause a high in stable, tolerant patients. The folks you see standing in line are likely either brand new patients who have not yet earned take home doses, or are part of the small percentage of patients who continue to use other drugs (methadone only treats opiate addiction) and so do not have take home privileges. The people you do NOT see are the majority--those who are doing well and need only come in once every 2-4 weeks.

Methadone treatment saves lives every day all over the world--more than any other treatment method--yet people revile what they do not understand. People welcome AA and NA meetings in their communities--these groups meet at churches, schools, libraries, etc--despite the fact that they are much less effective at stopping illicit substance use, and that many at their meetings are still using or have relapsed, and may be selling or using drugs on the spot. Why the difference in the way these two groups are treated, when they are made up of the same people with the same problems, all in various stages of trying to help themselves and all vulnerable to relapse?

they should just legalize it so its cheap and put out big garbage pails ..the problem would soon take care of its self..and all the ensuing death would be a great drug education program...just give them a park with all the heroin they want and do gooders could bring them Bologna sandwich's and condoms..it would be way cheaper than all the police and prison..courts... just a bunch of cheap heroin and good supply of body bags

Actually, what I find far more disturbing is the inherent prejudice and hatred for your fellow man expressed in these posts. These are people with a medical problem trying to get better, not pleasure seeking partyers trying to get high. I know you may assume that the likes of these folks would not be reading here, but you'd be wrong.

I am a 45 year old married mom of 3. I work full time, own my home, and have a college degree. I attend church, volunteer a great deal of my spare time to help others, and am involved in numerous community projects and activities. I pay all my bills, on time. That includes my CLINIC bill. Because I am also a methadone patient.

I became addicted to prescription painkillers many years ago, and was not able to get clean through abstinence based rehab--primarily due to the fact that long term opiate use/abuse can cause permanent changes in the brain chemistry, causing the brain to cease producing natural opiates (endorphins). Methadone replaces the missing endorphins, enabling the patient to feel normal--not high, not euphoric--normal. It is not a cure--there is no cure--it treats the symptoms and enables the patient to live a productive life. It is the most effective method for treating opioid addiction by far, far more effective than traditional rehabs and 12 step groups.

People assume that methadone patients are all on the public dole. The truth is, the majority of clinics today are PRIVATE PAY with the patients paying anywhere from $65 to $200 per week for their treatment, which includes counseling, drug testing, etc. Patients must show that they have a legitimate income and can pay for treatment.

People also assume that most methadone patients are homeless, jobless, have little education and are addicted to IV heroin. The facts are, today's clinics are about 75% Rx painkiller addicts and only about 25% heroin addicts. Patients come from ALL walks of life--atttorneys, nurses, teachers, business owners, suburban moms, college students, etc. Doubtless you know some already--without knowing it. Methadone does not cause a high in stable, tolerant patients. The folks you see standing in line are likely either brand new patients who have not yet earned take home doses, or are part of the small percentage of patients who continue to use other drugs (methadone only treats opiate addiction) and so do not have take home privileges. The people you do NOT see are the majority--those who are doing well and need only come in once every 2-4 weeks.

Methadone treatment saves lives every day all over the world--more than any other treatment method--yet people revile what they do not understand. People welcome AA and NA meetings in their communities--these groups meet at churches, schools, libraries, etc--despite the fact that they are much less effective at stopping illicit substance use, and that many at their meetings are still using or have relapsed, and may be selling or using drugs on the spot. Why the difference in the way these two groups are treated, when they are made up of the same people with the same problems, all in various stages of trying to help themselves and all vulnerable to relapse?

I understand how it can benefit people, obviously it benefitted you and I'm happy to hear that... but you didnt see what I saw. It was pathetic.

When you saw the methadone clinic were you like this...

Vomit.gif

or this...

Asian,%20Anime,%20Vomit.gif

or this...

stan-pota.gif

or this...

FamilyGuyVomit.gif

or this...

1445-dog-hump-puke-eat.gif

or this...

puke.jpg

or this...