Disturbed - "Ten Thousand Fists" album

Zhukov said:
"I never really hated a one true god
But the God of the people I hated"

~Marilyn Manson, Disposable Teens

As for APC, that's all Maynard, and no, he's not a big fan of Christianity.

Yeah, when Maynard screams "F**k your god! He did this!" in "Judith, I figured I might want to stay away.

no1tovote4 said:
Down with the sickness is a song about Madness brought on because of child abuse...

Here are the lyrics (warning, explicit lyrics):

"Down With The Sickness"

Drowning deep in my sea of loathing
Broken your servant I kneel
(Will you give in to me?)
It seems what's left of my human side
Is slowly changing in me

Looking at my own reflection
When suddenly it changes
Violently it changes (oh no)
There is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in me

[Chorus:]
Get up, come on get down with the sickness [x3]
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me
Get up, come on get down with the sickness
You mother get up come on get down with the sickness
You fucker get up come on get down with the sickness
Madness is the gift, that has been given to me

I can see inside you, the sickness is rising
Don't try to deny what you feel
It seems that all that was good has died
And is decaying in me

It seems you're having some trouble
In dealing with these changes
Living with these changes (oh no)
The world is a scary place
Now that you've woken up the demon in me

[Chorus]

(And when I dream) [x4]
No mommy, don't do it again
Don't do it again
I'll be a good boy
I'll be a good boy, I promise
No mommy don't hit me
Why did you have to hit me like that, mommy?
Dont do it, you're hurting me
Why did you have to be such a bitch
Why don't you,
Why don't you just fuck off and die
Why can't you just fuck off and die
Why can't you just leave here and die
Never stick your hand in my face again bitch
FUCK YOU
I don't need this shit
You stupid sadistic abusive fucking whore
How would you like to see how it feels mommy
Here it comes, get ready to die​

[Chorus (last line changed to "Madness has now come over me")]

See the bolded lines. I know he's singing about "madness" but it seems to describe the process of becoming possessed.

gop_jeff said:
See the bolded lines. I know he's singing about "madness" but it seems to describe the process of becoming possessed.

Often people who are schizophrenic feel that way. It doesn't seem like blatant anti-christianity to me at all. The song clearly indicates why the madness has come over him. Much like in Releasing the Demons by Godsmack. The song is not about a religion at all.

Yeah, I knew Marilyn Manson had some anti-God lyrics (duh!), I never listened to A Perfect Circle. Jeff, do you listen to Tool? I would guess their lyrics are similar to APC's, but I don't know.

As far as Christian rock, I guess the fact is that most people assume that they will sell a lot of records whether their music is really good or not. Added to that, I'm sure a lot of the Christian record companies might have a preconception about those who are buying their CDs, that they're not going to want anything too weird or heavy or anything.

I don't know, I guess Marilyn Manson's the only band that I listen to that has anti-religious lyrics, but I don't listen to them because I think the message is so amazing. And I've never paid for any of his music.

I do sort of agree with what he was saying in Antichrist Superstar, that eventually any society will feel that it has grown out of a need for "God" or religion and that eventually, this will be the downfall of said society.

Also, Mechanical Animals has pretty much no lyrics about God at all, it's all about drugs.

Dan said:
Yeah, I knew Marilyn Manson had some anti-God lyrics (duh!), I never listened to A Perfect Circle. Jeff, do you listen to Tool? I would guess their lyrics are similar to APC's, but I don't know.

I had one of their albums - the one with Stinkfist and Enema - but got rid of it. I switch the station when the song "Eulogy" comes on. Tool's just not quite up my alley.

As far as Christian rock, I guess the fact is that most people assume that they will sell a lot of records whether their music is really good or not. Added to that, I'm sure a lot of the Christian record companies might have a preconception about those who are buying their CDs, that they're not going to want anything too weird or heavy or anything.

Christian rock is just now starting to come into its own. You can find Christian artists in almost every branch of rock, from soft to hard to metal to alt to punk (LOTS of punk) and everything in between. (But, believe it or not, there are still those in the church who think all rock music is of Satan and that Christian rock is an abomination!)

gop_jeff said:
I had one of their albums - the one with Stinkfist and Enema - but got rid of it. I switch the station when the song "Eulogy" comes on. Tool's just not quite up my alley.

Christian rock is just now starting to come into its own. You can find Christian artists in almost every branch of rock, from soft to hard to metal to alt to punk (LOTS of punk) and everything in between. (But, believe it or not, there are still those in the church who think all rock music is of Satan and that Christian rock is an abomination!)

The best Christian rock has been made by legitimate rock artists such as Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Van Morrison. Because rock has to rock. Most Christian rock bands could never make it in the highly competitive world of real rock.

Dan said:
that eventually any society will feel that it has grown out of a need for "God" or religion and that eventually, this will be the downfall of said society.
I'm not so sure that was the message on that album. I think ACS was entirely personal, and not a metaphorical commentary/critique on/of society.

I'm not so sure that was the message on that album. I think ACS was entirely personal, and not a metaphorical commentary/critique on/of society.

Well, I guess it's open to interpretations, but I found a few levels to ACS:

First of all, the most obvious religious thing. Marilyn Manson has talked about being heavily influenced by Nietzche's idea of the society's need for a super man to lead it (not surprisingly, Hitler was big into this idea, too). The album seems to tell a story of Manson's rise to becoming that super man and destroying God and all religion. Of course, most people don't realize that the album ends on a sad, almost remorseful note, almost as though Manson is sorry for what he has done. It certainly seems like toward the end of the album, his plan has taken on a life of its own and is kind of dragging him along. The way the album is set up is important to this as well. It starts with Manson as the super man (in this interpretation, anyway) with huge crowds cheering him on, etc. But then he starts to go back to how it all started, and this is the majority of the album. However, if you notice, the very last note is the same as the very first note of the album, if you put the album on repeat, it would end exactly where it begins. I think the idea behind this was that he knows that eventually someone will come along and bring him down, just the same way he came along and brought down God. Actually, if you listen to the album all the way through and listen to it all the way through again, this is exactly how it sounds. Maybe that's where the remorse comes from, from the idea that no matter how big he gets, he knows someone will come along eventually and replace him.

The other interpretation is the one you were talking about, I think, the personal one. The rise to power and infamy in the album can also be seen simply as Marilyn Manson (the person) becoming famous, and of course the old adage, what goes up must come down. And also, it's lonely at the top.

I think both of these ideas fit the album very well and I'm sure the album is purposely open to interpretation. I actually have interpretations like this on Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood as well, and these three albums actually sort of tell a story, in a way. I'd be more than happy to go into them if you're interested, but I think I've hijacked this thread enough!

Nuc said:
The best Christian rock has been made by legitimate rock artists such as Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Van Morrison. Because rock has to rock. Most Christian rock bands could never make it in the highly competitive world of real rock.

There is plenty of Christian rock that rocks. There's Christian nu-metal, there's Christian thrash, there's Christian "death" metal. Then there's Christian mainstream rock. Does Switchfoot ring a bell?

gop_jeff said:
There is plenty of Christian rock that rocks. There's Christian nu-metal, there's Christian thrash, there's Christian "death" metal. Then there's Christian mainstream rock. Does Switchfoot ring a bell?

It doesn't rock to all of us ;)

Dan said:
I think both of these ideas fit the album very well and I'm sure the album is purposely open to interpretation. I actually have interpretations like this on Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood as well, and these three albums actually sort of tell a story, in a way. I'd be more than happy to go into them if you're interested, but I think I've hijacked this thread enough!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25534

Forum List

Back