District 9

Fatality

SunCrackedSoul
Jul 15, 2009
comes out tonight, in about 15 mins from this point in time

going to see it friday night.

I knew there was a film I had to see this week. The trailers on tv look good. I bet it's highly allegorical (even I worked out what Alien Nation was about :lol:) but I love sci-fi so this is on the list.

I knew there was a film I had to see this week. The trailers on tv look good. I bet it's highly allegorical (even I worked out what Alien Nation was about :lol:) but I love sci-fi so this is on the list.

It does seem a bit more of a modern Alien Nation, only in Alien Nation they really didn't want to go home.

the first trailers looked stupid to me the newer ones make it look much better
the early ones made it look more like a video game than a movie

and i only see a slight link to Alien Nation
in AN they were happy to be here and were being intergrated into the social networks
it seems like this one we are actually holding them against their will somehow
i'll likely wait for it to come out on DVD, but i will see it

When it comes to parables and metaphors in film I'm hopeless. The theme has to be just about sub-titled for me to get it - that's why I mentioned Alien Nation. Even then it took me about a half hour to pick it up:lol:

When it comes to parables and metaphors in film I'm hopeless. The theme has to be just about sub-titled for me to get it - that's why I mentioned Alien Nation. Even then it took me about a half hour to pick it up:lol:

D9 looks a bit more in your face with it. I like the fantasy tech they have in the previews, that's what caught my attention ... didn't expect much from the first few previews but then I went onto the website and got hooked. This could be the next great fad since ID4.

friend went to the opening, said it was bloody and violent all the way through. will see what peter jackson has pulled out of his hat.

Going in an hour and 15 minutes. I'll put it this way: out of 1,300 votes on IMDb, it has an average rating of 9.1, higher than any other movie right now. We'll see tomorrow what the viewers really think about it when IMDb updates their ratings for the day. I could see this movie opening up in IMDb's Top 10, for sure.

Abso-fucking-lutely 100% amazing. I thought at first the camera was going to make me nauseous a la Cloverfield, but it doesn't. There was just one scene where the documentary crew gets shaken up during some gunfire, but it actually adds to the film. Other than that the camera work is top notch.

The special effects weren't over-the-top, which I liked. There were enough to make the action exciting, but not so much as to make it seem like they were covering up for the story. Which brings me to the last point, the story is fantastic. They introduce the aliens as nothing but dirty, filthy subhumans. By the end of the movie, you will find yourself attached to the ugly creatures.

All in all, the best movie I've seen in a while.

life under the fascist state. government run corporations are the bad guys in this film, boogey man politics, aliens used in experimentation etc. good film, ending a possible set up for part deux.

life under the fascist state. government run corporations are the bad guys in this film, boogey man politics, aliens used in experimentation etc. good film, ending a possible set up for part deux.

While I think a sequel would be amazing. I don't see it happening, I think it was supposed to be left the way it was.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

We assume, because Christopher seemed like a genuine person, that he will keep his promise. But I want to know if Christopher and/or his son return to evacuate their people and cure Wikus, as they promised OR declare war on Earth for the treatment of their people. For a sequel to be possible, you would have to assume that it's the latter. Although it could be they return for an evacuation and the humans try to stop them from leaving, and then there's conflict.

Saw it ...

... it fucking rocks! The CGI techniques were flawless, the camera jitter only made the effects seem more real because of how well it was done. I could almost believe all that was real, even the alien CGI was done great. Special effects were not over done, they were just right. Great and very detailed story. The writers and producers really put a lot of thought into this one. I will see it more than once ... a very rare thing for me.

I wasn't going to see this one, but based on what you guys have said, must be worth it. Most things Jackson attaches himself to are reasonably good...

Jackson is a dreamer, and he tries to make his dreams feel realistic on the screen, which is why he is good at the movies he does. He didn't just see a big ape for King Kong, he saw a painting and a story ... them put them in action. It shows in D9 as well.

While I think a sequel would be amazing. I don't see it happening, I think it was supposed to be left the way it was.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

We assume, because Christopher seemed like a genuine person, that he will keep his promise. But I want to know if Christopher and/or his son return to evacuate their people and cure Wikus, as they promised OR declare war on Earth for the treatment of their people. For a sequel to be possible, you would have to assume that it's the latter. Although it could be they return for an evacuation and the humans try to stop them from leaving, and then there's conflict.

considering the the treatment of the prawns and the explicit reason christiopher left it would seem he may want to get even. I think more than just a rescue mission.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

considering the the treatment of the prawns and the explicit reason christiopher left it would seem he may want to get even. I think more than just a rescue mission.

I would agree with that, they didn't seem interested in dealing with humans anymore nor did they seem capable of revenge. As they said, they just want to go home.

Jackson is a dreamer, and he tries to make his dreams feel realistic on the screen, which is why he is good at the movies he does. He didn't just see a big ape for King Kong, he saw a painting and a story ... them put them in action. It shows in D9 as well.

Hmm...Jackson had absolutely very little to do with the making of District 9.

Jackson had hired Neill Blomkamp to direct the movie for the Halo video games, and the studios never picked it up. They did not want such a big name film from a first-time director. Prior to that, Blomkamp had only directed a few short films of his own (including a short film "Alive in Joburg" which laid the foundation for District 9) and some commercials. Jackson felt bad about Blomkamp's being rejected, so he basically gave Blomkamp the money to make an original film. He allowed Blomkamp to use his special effects studios for dirt cheap (which is why this film has only a $30 million budget, that and the fact that there are no big name actors). Thus, District 9 was born.

During the shooting of some test footage Blomkamp put together for Jackson, Blomkamp asked his friend producer friend Sharlto Copley to get in front of the camera. Blomkamp and Jackson were so pleased with Copley's portrayal of Wikus that they hired him for the lead role, in spite of the fact he had never acted before.

Anyway, the point is...Jackson was barely involved in District 9. He paid for it to be made. Once it was made, he was so pleased that he pushed out the viral marketing campaign.

Forum List

Back