Distance is an education in itself

Sep 12, 2008
My boy is 16 now, and 32 months he will be done with high school and needing to choose a college.

His mom and I live in Oregon. I am recommending he find a school in GA, FL or NC. I believe I have found a correlation between distance from home and academic and post baccalaureate achievement. Folks who go a long way to school come out of the experience more experience and do better than those who stay too close to their mom's apron.

What has been your experience in this matter?

My boy is 16 now, and 32 months he will be done with high school and needing to choose a college.

His mom and I live in Oregon. I am recommending he find a school in GA, FL or NC. I believe I have found a correlation between distance from home and academic and post baccalaureate achievement. Folks who go a long way to school come out of the experience more experience and do better than those who stay too close to their mom's apron.

What has been your experience in this matter?

Seems to me they should go to the school that matches best with their plans. At the same time, I agree that if too close to home they are too quick to run home for all sorts of reasons.

I liked at least 4 hours of distance. Close enough to visit, too far to come for laundry. :lol:

My oldest boy got accepted at a few schools but was holding out for the fat envelope from a University out in CA. I said "but that's 2,000 miles away!" I was freaked. He said he wanted to get as far the hell away from home as he could. Not a straight A student, but he did well and has a good job in the industry of his dreams.

Boy #2 went to University down the street. Same Same.

Frankly, I'm hoping that in 32 months my 16 yo can join the Marines.

But, I went to school about 4 hrs away from home: Annie is right, if the kid's unsure about being on their own, this is close enough to support, and far enough not to support.

Forum List

Back