Disrespecting the Flag Unintentionally

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Paid subscription site - printed in entirety

Have We Taken The Starch Out of Respect for the Flag?
By Rebecca Robbins for Herald-Times
June 14, 2005

If you didn't remember that today is Flag Day, you are not alone. Wedged between Memorial Day and Independence Day, Flag Day is the forgotten middle child of the patriotic family. No one has the day off. Most people don't remember it. There are so many other holidays with better food.

Officially established by President Woodrow Wilson on May 30, 1916, the holiday was intended to mark the anniversary of the Flag Resolution of 1777, the day our newborn country adopted the stars and stripes. On Aug. 3, 1949, President Harry Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th National Flag Day.

Perhaps the real reason that Flag Day seems to have been forever relegated to the B team of holidays is that every day is now "flag day" in the United States. We have year-round flag clothing and flag home furnishings. We have flag-imprinted credit cards and cookie dough. Flag motifs are painted on boat hulls and gas station walls. We once saluted the Red, White and Blue at ball parks; now we sit on it … in the form of flag stadium cushions. We barely notice the big flags that fly at government buildings and schools, because there are even bigger flags that fly over banks and Bob Evanses.

With all our well-meaning patriotism, I wonder if the dignity of our flag is being compromised by all of this flagware. Instead of heralding our nation's founding principles, the flag has become the color scheme of the day.

According to flag historians, the colors red, white and blue are historically symbolic: Red signifies hardiness and valor; white, purity and innocence; blue, vigilance, perseverance and justice. Are these our noble thoughts when we spread the catsup-stained flag tablecloth over the picnic table?

The federal Flag Code contains rules and regulations about how the flag and its likenesses may be displayed. Section 8, "Respect for the Flag," states that the flag should not be "printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard." Ironic as it may seem, patriotic partyware may actually be a sign of disrespect.

The Betsy Ross Homepage (www.ushistory.org/betsy) offers some surprising answers to frequently asked questions about flag usage:

Q: "Is it OK to have a flag T-shirt with words written on it?"

A: "No, the flag should never be worn, and no the flag should never have marks or words written upon it." (Sorry, Old Navy shoppers.)

Q: "Is it OK for an advertisement to use the flag?

A.: "No. The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever." (Political candidates, you are not exempt.)

Q "I am thinking of getting a flag tattoo. Is it OK?"

A: "There is nothing in the Flag Code about tattoos … In this case, one person's respect is another's disrespect, and we advise against a flag tattoo. Perhaps an American Eagle would look good?" (Or better yet, "Mom.")

Addressing the Rolling Thunder motorcycle group at Arlington Cemetery on Memorial Day, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff sported not his military uniform but his "riding outfit," a denim shirt emblazoned with a large flag pattern. Here was the highest officer in the military, recklessly tossing out the Flag Code in favor of one big, bad shirt.

Maybe it's time we returned to the days of true respect for the flag. Instead of reducing Old Glory to boxer shorts, we should reserve it for special observances, when we sit up, take note and pay it the respect it deserves.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
I think a lot of the people who are doing this are trying to do it out of pride.

The ones (Old Navy, CC companies, furniture companies, etc) who are doing it for a buck, definitely wrong.

Oops.....Coincidentally,I have my "Don't Mess With The U.S.A. shirt on that has an American flag on it. Maybe I should change? Like Zoom said,I was just wearing it with pride. :eek: :eek:

krisy said:
Oops.....Coincidentally,I have my "Don't Mess With The U.S.A. shirt on that has an American flag on it. Maybe I should change? Like Zoom said,I was just wearing it with pride. :eek: :eek:

KEEP WEARING IT!

We need more people in this country showing pride for the United States.

Actually, we need more people on this board showing pride for the United States.

What a start that would be.

GotZoom said:
KEEP WEARING IT!

We need more people in this country showing pride for the United States.

Actually, we need more people on this board showing pride for the United States.

What a start that would be.

What's funny is,the whole neighborhood has one of these shirts. One of the nieghbors sold them at a street sale lat summer and they sold out!!! We bought one for me,my husband ,and my son. I suppose most people are like you and know it's just pride of a great country that makes us wear these things. We did remember to bring our flag that is flying in front of our house in the other day when it stormed. We try to remember all of those rules!! I didn't know there were any regarding wearing the flag!!!LOL!!

I have a flag shirt and a flag hat. Neither is patterned exactly as the flag of the US, so maybe that gets me off the hook just a bit. But either way, these items are worn as a show of pride in and dedication to the country. If that violates a stodgy old code, so be it. I can live with that.

As a Boy Scout and a descendant of a LONG line of American soldiers, I have learned and followed the code of respect for the flag since I knew it existed, and while it irritates me to see the flag degraded by being made into clothing, or worse yet, napkins, the thing I hate most is seeing American flag antenna toppers worn down to the stars.

I don't like the United States flag being displayed as a fashion statement, it simply being a piece of apparel..
Maybe that's anal of me, I just have more respect for the symbol than that.

I attached them to the wall, no disrespect intented.

IM000098.jpg

I think it's usually obvious when the flag is being shown in respect and when it's being shown as advertising, disrespect, etc.

This reminds me of a scene in "Josie and the Pussycats," in which Parker Posey, the evil media lady, is showing a video of how they trick kids in to buying stuff through subliminal messages. Eugene Levy is the info-mercial host. At the end of the pitch, he says, "What's good for these companies is good for the conomy. And what's good for the economy is good for America! So support subliminal messages, and God Bless America!" As he says the last sentence, the end of the national anthem plays, and a hottie in a bikini with an American flag walks out behind Eugene Levy. It's hilarious!

Back in the 60's when the hippies first started "wearing the flag," it was considered bad enough to get a person arrested. Might well have been the ACLU that got you the right that you now have to put it anywhere..... just another example of an uptight idea that probably is better off now, liberalized.
One thing that I think of as a slight dishonor or degredation is that we now fly the flag at half mast for just about anything. Some images, rituals, are better reserved and sometimes serve a greater impact or purpose when they are not so commonly used.
Words too can be over or under used.....for example "hero" is so commonly used we almost need a new word for exceptional, above and beyond acts of true heroism. Likewise we add power to some words when we prohibit their use such as derogatory or insulting terms, like ******, or terrorist.
We are becoming personally more sensitive and generally less considerate in our interactions and tolerance of each other.

Forum List

Back