Disillusioned Bayh advocates electoral “shock” to broken system

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
In an interview on MSNBC this morning, newly retiring Sen. Evan Bayh declared the American political system "dysfunctional," riddled with "brain-dead partisanship" and permanent campaigning. Flatly denying any possibility that he'd seek the presidency or any other higher office, Bayh argued that the American people needed to deliver a "shock" to Congress by voting incumbents out in mass and replacing them with people interested in reforming the process and governing for the good of the people, rather than deep-pocketed special-interest groups.

Bayh's announcement stunned the American political world, as up until just last week he looked to be well on his way to an easy reelection for a third term in the Senate, and his senior staff was aggressively pursuing that goal.

But Bayh had apparently become increasingly frustrated in the Senate. In this morning's interview he noted that just two weeks ago, Republicans who had co-sponsored a bill with him to rein in the deficit turned around and voted against it for purely political reasons. He also stated repeatedly that members of his own party should be more willing to settle for a compromise rather than holding out for perfection.

"Sometimes half a loaf is better than none," Bayh insisted.

Disillusioned Bayh advocates electoral “shock” to broken system - Yahoo! News

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I think a tactical nuke would be better.
Might want to change that to 'metaphorically speaking'.

Government takes a dim view of threats. Even ones made in jest.

I'm not turning you in. Just don't want a glib remark taken wrong.

In an interview on MSNBC this morning, newly retiring Sen. Evan Bayh declared the American political system "dysfunctional," riddled with "brain-dead partisanship" and permanent campaigning. Flatly denying any possibility that he'd seek the presidency or any other higher office, Bayh argued that the American people needed to deliver a "shock" to Congress by voting incumbents out in mass and replacing them with people interested in reforming the process and governing for the good of the people, rather than deep-pocketed special-interest groups.

_____

Now who would Bayh be referencing there?

Hmmmmmm....

no-clue-obama-dumb-democrats-terrorism-korea-nuclear-iran-po-demotivational-poster-1244739782.jpg

I know the MSM spin was that Bayh was cruising toward an easy re-election, but that's not necessarily true. In real polls, he was potentially in big trouble, with Rasmussen showing that he would trail Pence.

Boxer's situation in Cali is not all that different---we might see a surprise coming up there too.

I know the MSM spin was that Bayh was cruising toward an easy re-election, but that's not necessarily true. In real polls, he was potentially in big trouble, with Rasmussen showing that he would trail Pence.

Boxer's situation in Cali is not all that different---we might see a surprise coming up there too.

Pence decided not to run for Senate back in January, so that wouldn't really be an issue.

I don't like this. I made my own topic on it.

What is going on is the majority just thinks they have a mandate beyond what is really there. The minority is fighting tooth and nail against ideas that are, in its view, fundamentally wrong. The are using every trick in the book to stop what they (Me too) believe to be anti democratic, morally wrong, misguided, counter productive and and at an unreasonable, misrepresented cost.

When your ox is being gored, you howl. That is your right as a free citizen. I am totally in favor of partisan liberty rather than being stamped into submission in the name of universal approval.

I don't like this. I made my own topic on it.

What is going on is the majority just thinks they have a mandate beyond what is really there. The minority is fighting tooth and nail against ideas that are, in its view, fundamentally wrong. The are using every trick in the book to stop what they (Me too) believe to be anti democratic, morally wrong, misguided, counter productive and and at an unreasonable, misrepresented cost.

When your ox is being gored, you howl. That is your right as a free citizen. I am totally in favor of partisan liberty rather than being stamped into submission in the name of universal approval.

And even though I'm probably pretty far towards the other end of the political spectrum from you, at least in some ways, I agree with this statement completely. Partisan politics gets thrown around as a bad word all the time - but I happen to think very highly of partisan politics. I think that it makes sure the minority view keeps some power - keeps the scale from tipping too far in either direction. Even when I agree with the majority (a little less each day, it seems), I'm very glad for partisan politics.

_____

Hmmmmmm....

just about every fucking politician in america, in and out of offfice.

hmmmmmm, my ass.

_____

Hmmmmmm....

no-clue-obama-dumb-democrats-terrorism-korea-nuclear-iran-po-demotivational-poster-1244739782.jpg

Could have just as easily been talking about President Bush. He was a master at governing by campaigning. Unfortunately, this has become a stigma of both parties.

Why Democrat Senator Bennet is even still in there amazes me. He does not have a snow-ball's chance of re-election here, even un-knowns are beating him in the polls.:cuckoo:

_____

Hmmmmmm....

Could have just as easily been talking about President Bush. He was a master at governing by campaigning. Unfortunately, this has become a stigma of both parties.

You know, Bush is no longer President

Obama is bored with the Presidency, it's not fun and you really have to do work. Fuck that shit!

Obama won't run for reelection

Bayh's announcement stunned the American political world, as up until just last week he looked to be well on his way to an easy reelection for a third term in the Senate, and his senior staff was aggressively pursuing that goal.

But Bayh had apparently become increasingly frustrated in the Senate. In this morning's interview he noted that just two weeks ago, Republicans who had co-sponsored a bill with him to rein in the deficit turned around and voted against it for purely political reasons. He also stated repeatedly that members of his own party should be more willing to settle for a compromise rather than holding out for perfection.

And yet he could be counted on as a reliable straight line party voter everytime.

You talk the talk Evan, but never walked the walk.

Bayh pissed and moaned and slobbered all over himself, instead of manning up and taking responsibility for his own failures and bad judgement.

But at least he was smart enough to get out of the way, instead of ran over!

Mike

Forum List

Back