DISH Network: Sling TV...another nail in the Cable TV coffin.

I pay 50 bucks for 5 gb...It's a little high here, but our poor phone companies always claims it's broke...For TV, internet and phone I pay 150 bucks a month, now is that not high in price?

Damn!
Heck yeah that is high.
For AT&T I pay $29.95 a month for their best speed package.
It includes 250GB of data per mo., and $10 per 50GB over that.
So roughly that is 8GB a day on average.
Both Netflix and Hulu say their average usage is about 1GB an hour of watching.
1080 HD Movies are about 2GB per hour according to Vudu.
So unless I am doing some serious binge watching, it would be pretty hard to exceed the cap.
And by the way, I didn't think there was a cap at all until I just now looked at my plan.

thirty bucks out here for internet from a local source

when i cut the cable dependence

i dropped their cable telephone & internet

the cable company in the area is the only cable provider

they know it and they provide really really crappy service
Yes, I live inn the rural area..My phone company makes you keep your phone service for internet service, and if you don't have the TV part, they make you buy you own router, for their system...If you get the TV part, they provide the router...the router is 65 bucks....

Yes, I live inn the rural area..My phone company makes you keep your phone service for internet service, and if you don't have the TV part, they make you buy you own router, for their system...If you get the TV part, they provide the router...the router is 65 bucks....

Yep, been there.
We use to only have Comcast cable as the only highspeed provider. And like you, to have internet without TV you had to buy the router. And their speed absolutely sucked.
About three years ago or so they finally laid fiber optics in our area - changed everything. When AT&T Uverse came along with 10 times better speed - guess who suddenly also got better?
It is one of those widespread consumer ripoffs that I support government involvement to regulate. If there is only one provider, in my opinion, they should not be able to charge outrageous fees with notably poor service that is below there stated plan specs.

Yep, been there.
We use to only have Comcast cable as the only highspeed provider. And like you, to have internet without TV you had to buy the router. And their speed absolutely sucked.
About three years ago or so they finally laid fiber optics in our area - changed everything. When AT&T Uverse came along with 10 times better speed - guess who suddenly also got better?
It is one of those widespread consumer ripoffs that I support government involvement to regulate. If there is only one provider, in my opinion, they should not be able to charge outrageous fees with notably poor service that is below there stated plan specs.
They put fiber in 2001 here, but there is no other providers that will offer services out of the local towns. I live 3 miles from town..

the sooner the better

we have been off cable for years

Diddo.
I can afford it, it isn't that - I just refuse to get ripped off because "everyone else is".
We use to have the full AT&T Uverse, everything. It was about $180 per month.
It is stupid. Absolutely no reason to be that high.
As well as the packages piss me off. They obviously strategically spread out the most popular channels among different packages so that in order to get say - ESPN, FOX and TNT as an example, you can't do that unless you are on one of the highest packages.
I refuse to do it.

i cut the cord when we bought this current home

our cable package at the time was running over 230 a month

(cable-phone-internet)

i called them to have the service moved to the new location

and they wanted fifty bucks to flip the switches and we would have to

bring the boxes to our new home ourselves

we had been a customer for years and years

so i asked for a deal since newbies get great deals

loyal customers one would think would get a great deal

once and awhile too

not the case

when i complained about it the operator

told me that i should be grateful that my bill

is only 230 bucks a month

then asked if i was ready to place the move order

--LOL

the sooner the better

we have been off cable for years

Diddo.
I can afford it, it isn't that - I just refuse to get ripped off because "everyone else is".
We use to have the full AT&T Uverse, everything. It was about $180 per month.
It is stupid. Absolutely no reason to be that high.
As well as the packages piss me off. They obviously strategically spread out the most popular channels among different packages so that in order to get say - ESPN, FOX and TNT as an example, you can't do that unless you are on one of the highest packages.
I refuse to do it.

i cut the cord when we bought this current home

our cable package at the time was running over 230 a month

(cable-phone-internet)

i called them to have the service moved to the new location

and they wanted fifty bucks to flip the switches and we would have to

bring the boxes to our new home ourselves

we had been a customer for years and years

so i asked for a deal since newbies get great deals

loyal customers one would think would get a great deal

once and awhile too

not the case

when i complained about it the operator

told me that i should be grateful that my bill

is only 230 bucks a month

then asked if i was ready to place the move order

--LOL

Which is why, even though I am a strong conservative pertaining to business/economics, I would support stronger regulations on cable providers when they have a monopoly.
Our old cable provided DSL was horrific, yet the same company in a larger town 30 miles away was far cheaper and great speed. And like I say, when AT&T laid fiber optics - suddenly the DSL service was 5 times better and cheaper - yet no infrastructural change!

How many know that for a very nominal fee, you can access dozens of TV channels for a one-time nominal fee to install a good antenna?

Here in Vegas, we have this:

th

The antenna farm sends out dozens of channels. Actually has a real, old-fashioned rabbit ears on my big tv yesterday before cable was installed and got some pretty good reception - on my most important channel - Univision and the blasted soap opera that's got me all worked up!

Cool. Now you can add $20 to your other five $20 subscription services. God bless millenial math.

:eusa_eh:
What $20 subscription services?
LOL are you for real? Dish costs money. And the services they connect to aren't either. After paying for your Roku you still have to pay for the Netflix, Hulu and Amazon services.

Are you for real?
I have Roku Now
My total TV cost is about $30 a month for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime and a few rent movies off Vudu.
None of these subscriptions cost $20 each??
You don't have to have Dish to get the SlingTV..so not sure what you mean there.
If I did go with Sling, I would not need HuluPlus anymore, and I am going to kick Amazon Prime off as well.
So...my total cost per mo. would be:
$20 Sling
$7.99 Netflix (grandfathered cost)
$27.99 per mo.

Guess I am not the one who can't add eh?

So your Dish is free? Do tell!

What are you talking about?
Why do you think I have Dish?
I watch 100% of TV via the internet through a Roku Device.
SlingTV will stream through the internet, you do not have to have Dish to get SlingTV.

Sling TV is a new live TV service that allows subscribers to watch a collection of cable TV channels on their TVs, computers or mobile devices. These are live TV channels, just like those offered by a cable or satellite TV service, except they're delivered over the Internet.

Although Sling TV is a subsidiary of Dish Network, the satellite provider, it's operated as an entirely separate service. You do not need a Dish subscription to subscribe to Sling TV. [quote/]

Sling TV Everything you need to know - CNET

So your internet is free then. Do tell.

Your trying aren't you? :lmao:
It's not like I use the internet for anything else right?
My guess is your employed by a cable company, otherwise I don't get the weak arguments.
Cable companies charge anywhere from $96 to $120 a year - PER TV - to watch HD channels. That is just greedy. Pure and simple.
I applause the demise of cable companies, they deserve it. They are greedy, treat customers like sh*t and punish rather than reward loyalty.
:dig:

Been watching the Beta since yesterday.
I don't know. I had forgotten how bad live TV is.
So many damn commercials you can actually forget what you were watching!
I haven't watched live TV for a couple years now, I think there are more commercials now than then...how do you guys do it?? 5 or 6 commercials in a row, then 10 minutes later - another 5 or 6 in a row...horrible!!
I don't know if I can do this. I think I will keep doing what I am doing now instead. For instance we like Blacklist, on Hulu the show is 8 minutes shorter than live...so 16 less commercials. I will stick with Hulu

Forum List

Back