Disgruntled Workers Switch ID's of Alzheimer Patients

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Nursing home operator wants probe after union workers stage walkout, alleged sabotage

The owner of several Connecticut nursing homes is calling for a criminal probe after union workers staged a mass walkout earlier this month, allegedly vandalizing and sabotaging the health care facilities in the process. Among the allegations is that the workers, supposedly disgruntled over protracted labor talks, switched around the IDs of Alzheimer's patients.

The alleged sabotage, which also purportedly included tampering with medication records and removing patient identification bands, occurred in three of the company’s five Connecticut facilities in the overnight hours before the July 3 strike, according to police reports and the complaint HealthBridge Management filed Thursday with the Chief State's Attorney office.

Company officials suspect the acts were committed by some of the employees who went on strike. Those employees are represented by a chapter of the Service Employees International Union, the largest healthcare union in North America with roughly 1.1 million members.

“It’s especially heinous to do it to somebody with Alzheimer’s,” said a HealthBridge spokesman, adding that dietary information also was compromised. He said the acts put patients' lives at risk and if somebody had a medical emergency in that window "they could have been in grave peril."

Read more: Nursing home operator wants probe after union workers stage walkout, alleged sabotage | Fox News

Those perpetrators should be fired. But they aare protected from the Union. They have no business taking care of the elderly.

Hoped for Alzheimer's drug fails to pan out...
:eusa_eh:
Alzheimer's disease drug shelved after trial failure
6 August 2012 - Two US drug firms say they will stop development of an Alzheimer's drug because it failed in two late-stage clinical trials.
Bapineuzumab, made by Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, was designed to halt build-up of plaque in the brain. But it failed to improve cognitive or functional performance compared with a placebo in certain patients. Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia, as well as the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. An estimated 36 million people worldwide are believed to have dementia, including Alzheimer's.

Late stage trials

Both firms announced on 23 July that the first clinical trial of the intravenous (IV) version of bapineuzumab had failed. In that study, patients with a gene that is associated with a greater risk of Alzheimer's were tested. But results with the group were largely the same as with those who did not have the gene, who were tested in the second study. The second trial's end means that additional studies on the IV version will not take place; however, Johnson and Johnson said a study of subcutaneous use would continue.

Some had predicted that the IV studies of bapineuzumab would fail because they were treating those whose brains were already damaged. "One of the strong thoughts in the field is that you really have to treat people before they become demented," William Thies, chief scientific officer of the Alzheimer's Association told Reuters, adding that the announcement did not prevent the drug from being tested as a preventative. And Mr Thies said that despite the trial's failure, data from the experiment could still be useful. "These studies are terribly important for us to learn about Alzheimer's disease, and that part of the process is just starting as the data continues to be crunched in a variety of ways."

Johnson and Johnson had agreed in 2009 to invest up to $1.5bn (£961m) in bapineuzumab. In a statement, Steven Romano, head of Pfizer's Medicines Development Group said they were "obviously very disappointed" with the trial's outcome. "We are also saddened by the lost opportunity to provide a meaningful advance for patients afflicted with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease and their caregivers," he said. A similar drug being developed by Eli Lilly, solanezumab, is also considered a long-shot to succeed, but results of the trials will not be available until later this year.

BBC News - Alzheimer's disease drug shelved after trial failure

Nursing home operator wants probe after union workers stage walkout, alleged sabotage

The owner of several Connecticut nursing homes is calling for a criminal probe after union workers staged a mass walkout earlier this month, allegedly vandalizing and sabotaging the health care facilities in the process. Among the allegations is that the workers, supposedly disgruntled over protracted labor talks, switched around the IDs of Alzheimer's patients.

The alleged sabotage, which also purportedly included tampering with medication records and removing patient identification bands, occurred in three of the company’s five Connecticut facilities in the overnight hours before the July 3 strike, according to police reports and the complaint HealthBridge Management filed Thursday with the Chief State's Attorney office.

Company officials suspect the acts were committed by some of the employees who went on strike. Those employees are represented by a chapter of the Service Employees International Union, the largest healthcare union in North America with roughly 1.1 million members.

“It’s especially heinous to do it to somebody with Alzheimer’s,” said a HealthBridge spokesman, adding that dietary information also was compromised. He said the acts put patients' lives at risk and if somebody had a medical emergency in that window "they could have been in grave peril."

Read more: Nursing home operator wants probe after union workers stage walkout, alleged sabotage | Fox News

this should be investigated as a criminal investigation and the offenders charged with elder abuse, endangering the life of..., attempted manslaughter, etc as is deemed appropriate.
And anyone who tries to cover for them should lose their liscence to work in healthcare forever.

Last edited:
the id switching is quickly solved....the alf my mother is in...takes pictures of the patients and puts them in their med files...plus the staff knows the patients ..the band switching is merely an annoyance

That could never happen in our state. Were they caregivers?
With my license, if I walked out I could get charged with abandonment.

So what you are saying is that management of these places were so distanced from the patients that they had no idea who their patients were?

So what you are saying is that management of these places were so distanced from the patients that they had no idea who their patients were?

I don't think he was, but that can be the case sometimes.

I don't think he was, but that can be the case sometimes.

Sounds to me like a case of "The Union Just spanked me, so now I'm going to make a bunch of complaints!"

You knowingly make a false claim in my state and you are a mandatory reporter you can get a nice fine.
Of course, I doubt any high ups are mandatory reporters.
That's the part that sucks about this business. The director of a facility has all the power but none of the liability. Everything is on the nurse's license etc.

If I owned it I'd hire some illegals to see that the job got done right.
Ya got a bunch of useless murkins switching tags on people that are likely on life supporting drugs.
Uniquely murkin.

If I owned it I'd hire some illegals to see that the job got done right.
Ya got a bunch of useless murkins switching tags on people that are likely on life supporting drugs.
Uniquely murkin.

If the person passing meds does what they are suppose to, shouldn't be a problem.
Horrible if they really did it, but there is a reason why they have such things as the five rights etc.

the id switching is quickly solved....the alf my mother is in...takes pictures of the patients and puts them in their med files...plus the staff knows the patients ..the band switching is merely an annoyance

If you had a new staff member on, things could have been much worse.

Yea but in the meantime people can get the wrong meds and die. There is no excuse for that behavior.

The union workers actions were unconscionable and your deflections and excuses on their behalf is reprehensible. You're lower than dirt JoeB.

Yea but in the meantime people can get the wrong meds and die. There is no excuse for that behavior.

did you notice the part about the pictures are on the med files? new staff are not put on the med files...i assure you ....afl's are covered with cross checks on most everything

did you notice the part about the pictures are on the med files? new staff are not put on the med files...i assure you ....afl's are covered with cross checks on most everything

I was with my mother at the ALF nearly everyday and there were no pictures on the medical files when the nurse or the attendents came to give meds. Different people would give meds on different days. When she was unable to swallow or take directions, the meds were stopped.

I was with my mother at the ALF nearly everyday and there were no pictures on the medical files when the nurse or the attendents came to give meds. Different people would give meds on different days. When she was unable to swallow or take directions, the meds were stopped.

Did you see the MAR? Everywhere where I have passed meds they have a picture with their MAR, and we usually crush meds if they can't follow directions.
In the end we give them liquid morphine or ativan which even if they can't swallow, we give it to them sublingually.

The union workers actions were unconscionable and your deflections and excuses on their behalf is reprehensible. You're lower than dirt JoeB.

Let's remember they have not proven the staff did this. I have met some disgruntled caregivers, but they usually have a problem management but love the resident.
I would wait for actual proof before being quick to judge these people.

Forum List

Back