Disenfranchised Felons???

Wow, MSNBC must really be low on virtually anything substantive to lie, er, uh, talk about.

This shit is supremely funny.

Ex-felons permanently disenfranchised in some states - Video on NBCNews.com

Where do you stand on background checks for gun owners? Should felons be given access to a weapon but not a vote?

I am in favor of background checks for guns. IMHO, felons should have neither gun nor voting rights.

IMHO, any non-violent crime should not result in having your 2nd amendment rights taken away, and almost no crime should result in having your voting rights taken away. You can get a misdemeanor for driving drunk and a felony for selling marijauna. In my opinion, the person who couldn't responsibly use a motor vehicle should be the one not allowed to own a gun.

Where do you stand on background checks for gun owners? Should felons be given access to a weapon but not a vote?

I am in favor of background checks for guns. IMHO, felons should have neither gun nor voting rights.

IMHO, any non-violent crime should not result in having your 2nd amendment rights taken away, and almost no crime should result in having your voting rights taken away. You can get a misdemeanor for driving drunk and a felony for selling marijauna. In my opinion, the person who couldn't responsibly use a motor vehicle should be the one not allowed to own a gun.

Fair enough, and I see valid points to your post. I certainly would be open to different positions on this if it ever came to be the "law of the land". How about this for some compromising?

Violent Crimes Felons: No gun rights and no voting rights.
Non-violent Crimes Felons: Gun rights and voting rights after serving their time and their parole satisfactorily.
3 Strikes Felons (Violent and Non-violent): No gun rights and no voting rights if you've been convicted of a felony 3 times.

I figure if you are stupid enough to fuck up that many times you really don't deserve shit.

The only time they whine about felons not having the right to vote is during a democrat administration when felons are most likely to vote democrat.

Fair enough, and I see valid points to your post. I certainly would be open to different positions on this if it ever came to be the "law of the land". How about this for some compromising?

Violent Crimes Felons: No gun rights and no voting rights.
Non-violent Crimes Felons: Gun rights and voting rights after serving their time and their parole satisfactorily.
3 Strikes Felons (Violent and Non-violent): No gun rights and no voting rights if you've been convicted of a felony 3 times.

I figure if you are stupid enough to fuck up that many times you really don't deserve shit.

I could agree to most of that aside from the part about voting rights. I can't think of many circumstances where I think your right to vote should be taken away. Being a criminal doesn't make you stupid, and being a law abiding citizen doesn't make you smart.

Even in the case of something like drunk driving taking away gun rights is iffy, in my opinion. Young people in general tend to be more irresponsible. Should George Bush have had his gun rights taken away for driving drunk in college, but Dick Cheney been allowed to keep that right after accidently shooting a man in the face? Aside from more time spent judging them on a case by case basis I don't see an easy answer to that question.

I've been saying for years that drunk driving is the worst of all drug crimes. It's a super violent crime and should be a felony while mere possession of any drug should not be a felony..

Let's not forget that it's NOT just felonies that cause loss of rkba. Misdemeanor domestic abuse also results in that. Thank bill clinton.

Wow, MSNBC must really be low on virtually anything substantive to lie, er, uh, talk about.

Personally, I believe that once a felon has served all of his time, plus parole, all of his/her civil rights should be restored.

As they should be. That is the law of the land. Any takers on wanting to change it?

It's the law of some of "the land".

Most states return voting rights to felons after they are released.

Gosh, I guess people should know the laws of the state they are in before they murder or commit some other felony.

[

Gosh, I guess people should know the laws of the state they are in before they murder or commit some other felony.

Oh yeah - citizens should know all 8 million laws in their state plus the 8 million the feds have given us.

You know what I always find amazing about this kind of discussion? The people who are often the loudest to point out that laws against guns won't stop criminals from getting them are usually the same people who are so quick to say that we should have laws that prevent criminals from being allowed to have guns. Let's be serious about this, people. If a convicted felon comes out a changed person, there's no need to prevent him from having a gun. And if he comes out still being a criminal mind, then telling him he can't have it won't stop him.

Sotomayor is the dumbest person ever put on the court. She was an Affirmative Action applicant when she when to college. Her reading skills were so bad that counselors told her to read children's books to improve them.

How could such a person even get into college, let alone get a law degree?

Liberals have raked Justice Thomas over the coals for decades with accusations that he isn't the brightest bulb on the court, yet they all endorsed this incredible dingbat.

As they should be. That is the law of the land. Any takers on wanting to change it?

Yup.....Democrats.

Supreme Court Sonia Sotomayor wants to give jailbirds the right to vote. It's her opinion that the federal Voting Rights Act can be used to force states to allow voting by currently imprisoned felons. Ms. Sotomayor's dissenting opinion in a 2006 felon-voting case should make senators extremely wary of confirming her for the high court.
Ms. Sotomayor is thus in the position of asserting that Congress can prohibit New York from doing something the Constitution itself specifically endorses. It's as if she thinks black and Hispanic felons are convicted in order to deny them the vote, rather than that they are denied the vote as a result of being duly convicted. Her position ignores the fact that it is the convicts' own actions, their crimes - not any state-based racial discrimination - that make those felons ineligible to vote.

As almost every state has done since the United States was founded, New York forbids currently incarcerated or paroled prisoners from voting. Some states go even farther by prohibiting some felons from voting even after they have served their sentences. New York's law is not so stringent. It only applies to felons still under criminal sentences. It equally applies to all felons, black or white.

There is growing evidence that Judge Sotomayor believes some races are more equal than others."
Democrats want to let convicted felons and felons in prison vote! Do you think this should be allowed or not?

Perhaps you should have thought about this BEFORE you put Gramps and Caribou Barbie up against Obama in 2008?

If a convicted felon comes out a changed person, there's no need to prevent him from having a gun. And if he comes out still being a criminal mind, then telling him he can't have it won't stop him.

You don't understand. The felon may be able to get a gun but if he's caught, that's a crime and will send him back to prison. That's the deterrent value

If a convicted felon comes out a changed person, there's no need to prevent him from having a gun. And if he comes out still being a criminal mind, then telling him he can't have it won't stop him.

You don't understand. The felon may be able to get a gun but if he's caught, that's a crime and will send him back to prison. That's the deterrent value

5 years automatic.

Nonsense. That same exact argument is what the liberals use when saying we should outlaw guns. How's the murder rate in Texas? You'd think the threat of the death penalty would be a better deterrent, eh?

Last edited:
[

Nonsense. That same exact argument is what the liberals use when saying we should outlaw guns. How's the murder rate in Texas? You'd think the threat of the death penalty would be a better deterrent, eh?

What a silly thing to say. Do you want to legalize murder just because our present murder laws don't stop ALL murders.?

What a silly thing to say. Do you want to legalize murder just because our present murder laws don't stop ALL murders.?

:lol: I've duck-season/rabbit-season'ed you! You're selling the leftists' stock arguments for outlawing guns! Stop being such a libturd. The government isn't going to keep you safe, so pull your lips off the teat and kiss your ass goodbye.

:lol: I've duck-season/rabbit-season'ed you! You're selling the leftists' stock arguments for outlawing guns! Stop being such a libturd. The government isn't going to keep you safe, so pull your lips off the teat and kiss your ass goodbye.

Take a course in logic 101 and get back with us. You obviously didn't understand a word i said.

Take a course in logic 101 and get back with us.

How about this. Describe the syllogistic problems I've allegedly committed, and then we can discuss who is allegedly in need of education in discipline of logic. ;)

You obviously didn't understand a word i said.

No, I understood everything you've said. I've heard it a million times. You're making the EXACT SAME arguments that any other left winger makes, trying to say that making guns illegal will somehow stop criminally minded people from gaining or using guns. But it just ain't so.

Forum List

Back