Discussing politics with people who don't share your views........

Who's the guys running around with tiki torches and mowing down others in their car? Trump supporters. Same types of folks who blew up churches in the South, drug black folks behind their trucks in Texas, threaten violence (aka "second amendment solutions"), etc...
Democrats

You mean the hundreds of millions that the government stole money from in an unsustainable ponzi scheme.

Ponzi schemes don't last 100 years

And that "stolen money" helped your parents retire in dignity...and hundreds of millions of other parents

You mean the hundreds of millions that the government stole money from in an unsustainable ponzi scheme.

Ponzi schemes don't last 100 years

And that "stolen money" helped your parents retire in dignity...and hundreds of millions of other parents
Typical Ponzi schemes also don't steal more and more money over time, and aren't compulsory, unlike this one. Surprisingly, whether or not you have a choice DOES have an effect on how long the scheme lasts.

I've noticed that you neglected to respond to the other half of my post, and instead opted to attempt to appeal to my emotions instead. As a matter of fact, the money stolen from those people won't make a difference if they weren't already saving, assuming they even live long to collect, which the government hopes they do not. The reason the age is being raised along with taxes is so fewer people 'benefit' from said stolen money.

I'd also like to mention that my parents have not retired, and have no dignity.

Face to face political discussion is scary. I might nod and say, "uh huh" to someone with a different POV but I don't see me compromising just because were looking at each other.

Face to face political discussion is scary. I might nod and say, "uh huh" to someone with a different POV but I don't see me compromising just because were looking at each other.
I just ask a lot of questions and let people go off if they want to. Eventually they get it out of their system, and I've usually gotten some interesting insight.

You can't do that online, of course, but it can get pretty interesting in real life. Trying to have a normal conversation online is pointless. You can get one now and then, but...

You know, there has been a lot of talk (mostly by comedians) about how people like to live in an echo chamber and only talk with others who think like them. Some have said that discussing politics with someone who doesn't agree with you is a way to mend the divide and learn compromise. Face to face negotiation has been proven to lead to compromise and understanding.

Turns out that ain't the case when it comes to the Internet. Seems that if you are discussing politics with a person different than your group can actually be worse than living in a bubble, because people will dig in even harder in their views. I guess the lack of face to face communication is what causes it to happen.

Caught in a political echo chamber? Listening to the opposition can make partisanship even worse

Dwelling in a political echo chamber — where you only encounter people who agree with you — is hardly conducive to a healthy democracy.

But it turns out that broadening your horizons by perusing opposing points of view on social media may just make the partisan divide worse.

That’s the depressing result of an unusual experiment involving 909 Democrats and 751 Republicans who spend a lot of time on Twitter.

“Attempts to introduce people to a broad range of opposing political views on a social media site such as Twitter might be not only ineffective but counterproductive,” researchers reported this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Political polarization is on the rise in America, and the results aren’t pretty, the study authors explained.

“Americans are deeply divided on controversial issues such as inequality, gun control, and immigration,” they wrote. “Partisan divisions not only impede compromise in the design and implementation of social policies but also have far-reaching consequences for the effective function of democracy more broadly.”

The researchers, led by Duke University sociologist Christopher Bail, set out to do something about this problem by harnessing the power of Twitter.

They already knew people become more inclined to compromise on political issues when they spend time with people who hold opposing views. Face-to-face meetings can override negative stereotypes about our adversaries, paving the way for negotiation.
I work with some left wing anti-Trumpers. It’s not hard to put them in their place, I just drop a few facts and they have no come back and always change the subject or move the goal posts. I always enjoy talking to leftwingers.

`
Actual civil discussions on this forum are very, very rare. It doesn't take long for conversation to break down into partisan, acrimonious insults.
`

`Actual civil discussions on this forum are very, very rare. It doesn't take long for conversation to break down into partisan, acrimonious insults.`
I'm always fascinated by motivations, so I look for clues on the behaviors, and why people act this way.

I'm sure that self-esteem plays a significant role - a person creates and maintains on online persona who is brave and bold, willing to attack and insult and mock any prey that enters their field of vision. Not give an inch for one moment at any time, playing the good & powerful ideological soldier. So I assume this provides them some kind of temporary ego boost and they go on their way.

My concern is that I'm seeing more of this in real life, from regular, everyday people.

Last edited:
Well Mac, you can see it here on these boards everyday. I think that the anonymous nature of message boards makes people less likely to compromise.
What concerns me is that I'm seeing more and more of this manic behavior in real life. More and more people I talk to and see are walking around, one inch away from completely losing their shit on someone. Screaming, not listening, ever.

And you don't even notice the high correlation with them being leftists, do you?
No, not at all. Sometimes when talking with a new client about taxes, they go off on the same shallow, naive talking points I hear on talk radio and see here daily.

Lefties see more volatile and angry, Righties seem more trained and obedient.

Just my observation, of course.

Righties here routinely prescribe civil war as a remedy to all our ills. Your observation is inaccurate

upload_2018-9-17_21-44-11.png

Well Mac, you can see it here on these boards everyday. I think that the anonymous nature of message boards makes people less likely to compromise.
What concerns me is that I'm seeing more and more of this manic behavior in real life. More and more people I talk to and see are walking around, one inch away from completely losing their shit on someone. Screaming, not listening, ever.

You need to find new friends. :)

You know, there has been a lot of talk (mostly by comedians) about how people like to live in an echo chamber and only talk with others who think like them. Some have said that discussing politics with someone who doesn't agree with you is a way to mend the divide and learn compromise. Face to face negotiation has been proven to lead to compromise and understanding.

Turns out that ain't the case when it comes to the Internet. Seems that if you are discussing politics with a person different than your group can actually be worse than living in a bubble, because people will dig in even harder in their views. I guess the lack of face to face communication is what causes it to happen.

Caught in a political echo chamber? Listening to the opposition can make partisanship even worse

Dwelling in a political echo chamber — where you only encounter people who agree with you — is hardly conducive to a healthy democracy.

But it turns out that broadening your horizons by perusing opposing points of view on social media may just make the partisan divide worse.

That’s the depressing result of an unusual experiment involving 909 Democrats and 751 Republicans who spend a lot of time on Twitter.

“Attempts to introduce people to a broad range of opposing political views on a social media site such as Twitter might be not only ineffective but counterproductive,” researchers reported this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Political polarization is on the rise in America, and the results aren’t pretty, the study authors explained.

“Americans are deeply divided on controversial issues such as inequality, gun control, and immigration,” they wrote. “Partisan divisions not only impede compromise in the design and implementation of social policies but also have far-reaching consequences for the effective function of democracy more broadly.”

The researchers, led by Duke University sociologist Christopher Bail, set out to do something about this problem by harnessing the power of Twitter.

They already knew people become more inclined to compromise on political issues when they spend time with people who hold opposing views. Face-to-face meetings can override negative stereotypes about our adversaries, paving the way for negotiation.

People don't like thinking they're stupid, even when they put no effort into trying to not be stupid.

It's a farce really. They'll just hurl insults as a way of preventing anything real getting past their barriers.

More and more people I talk to and see are walking around, one inch away from completely losing their shit on someone. Screaming, not listening, ever.
You need to find new friends. :)
NO SHIT

:laugh:

The place I first started noticing this was in meetings with new advisory clients. More and more often, at some point in the conversation when we're talking about their taxes or where the economy is going or their health insurance coverage, they insert politics into it, and go off on this seemingly scripted diatribe about "those damn conservatives/liberals".

Goddamn it. So I just sit there and listen and let them get it out of their system. Sometimes their spouse will roll their eyes during the speech ("here we go again") and I'll try not to giggle. We're supposed to be talking about their investments and retirement, and instead they're pretending they're a freakin' talk show host.

Then there's the madness on Facebook and the rest of social media. This disease has metastasized, and that concerns me.

Goddamn it. So I just sit there and listen and let them get it out of their system. Sometimes their spouse will roll their eyes during the speech ("here we go again") and I'll try not to giggle. We're supposed to be talking about their investments and retirement, and instead they're pretending they're a freakin' talk show host.

Then there's the madness on Facebook and the rest of social media. This disease has metastasized, and that concerns me.

Yes, Stormy, that people talk about this stuff is worrisome...

Not that we have a crazy person in the white house that has thrown 12,000 children into concentration camps.

Funny, some people find it hard to worry about retirement when you have a crazy person with a button that launches the nukes on his desk.

upload_2018-9-18_5-34-24.jpeg

"Hi, I'm your retirement adviser!"

Forum List

Back