Discovery of the evolution of Music by Year

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Hello, let's discover together ancient music and until today its evolution.

I start with the year 1920 you have to take a song after me from the year 1921, try to respect the following years if you can.

Thank you :)

Two observations:

1. The majority of American music even dating back to the 1800's, was a derivative of black music.

2. Very much of the music between the late 1800's though the 1960's was written by white Jews: From Tin Pan Alley to Motown,even much of the music performed by black musicians and artists was penned by white Jews. Of course any SJW will provide examples stating otherwise, but I'm talking about an overwhelming preponderance. The truth is, white liberals have been ripping off black folks ever since the mid-1800's

I'm am in no way anti-Semetic, this is just an observation.

Two observations:

1. The majority of American music even dating back to the 1800's, was a derivative of black music.

2. Very much of the music between the late 1800's though the 1960's was written by white Jews: From Tin Pan Alley to Motown,even much of the music performed by black musicians and artists was penned by white Jews. Of course any SJW will provide examples stating otherwise, but I'm talking about an overwhelming preponderance. The truth is, white liberals have been ripping off black folks ever since the mid-1800's

Hi, I know that music dates back to 1800 as you say.
Here's a song list from 1840.

From YouTube.

1840 (Timothy Twiss, US Marine Corps); 1841 (Family Trio, Daniel Schwen, David Brown Blaney); 1842 (Timothy Twiss, Detroit Historical Society); 1843 (2nd South Carolina String Band); 1844 (Travelgroupie); 1845 (Mark Gilston, Catherine Hall, Herbert W. Gleason); 1846 (Stella Splendens, Tennessee State Library); 1847 (Victrolaman, Rick Thorne); 1848 (Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Library of Congress); 1849 (Fred Feild); 1850 (2nd South Carolina String Band, Harper's Weekly, Axon); 1851 (Jerry Garcia and David Grisman); 1852 (Edward Tarte, Library of Congress, Fredericksburg, VA); 1853 (John Prine); 1854 (Xavier Heraud); 1855 (Vi Wickam, sfo1164); 1856 (Michael O'Connor); 1857 (Earl Scruggs); 1858 (Gossamer Memories); 1859 (Londonderry Choir, John Steuart Curry); 1860 (Max Power, lauralexus); 1861 (Gloria Jane, rexlibris99); 1862 (rexlibris99, rexlibris99); 1863 (Marco Pott, rexlibris99); 1864 (ptapit733); 1865 (Arnold Mackie); 1866 (Mr. Ryan Taylor, Acarter of Ebay); 1867 (Library of Congress); 1868 (warholsoup100, tmcmoose); 1869 (bossyfrogband, Little Women); 1870 (SE Samonte, Mint Museum, WXXI); 1871 (Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Ken Corbett); 1872 (Tom Frøkjær, Frank Leslie Publishing House); 1873 (Achila Amarasinghe, Charles Russell Marion, Robert Neralich); 1874 (Clarke Buehling); 1875 (duxdemontis98); 1876 (EMGColonel, George Eastman House, South Dublin Libraries); 1877 (Keeper1st); 1878 (Kurt Meyer, Rufus Anderson, Richard Woods); 1879 (Bigband Lou, kshs.org); 1880 (Andrea Boceli, Kamla Bhatt, hd4desktop.com); 1881 (kshs.org); 1882 (April 1922, Historia - Bel99TV); 1883 (Andy Hoskinson, Washingtons of Wessyngton Plantation); 1884 (lewdite); 1885 (Orlik1946); 1886 (Paul Draper, Woods History); 1887 (Santa, Cabinet Card Gallery); 1888 (rareoulcom, ProperGanderSaul); 1889 (jazzbanjorex); 1890 (monamomoneme, Glenn County Schools); 1891 (Gallopingalligator, Distant Musical Memories); 1892 (jackmeboy november); 1893 (Strombo, Cabinet Card Gallery); 1894 (threelegsoman, Harper's Weekly); 1895 (dbstores, dbstores); 1896 (TheMarches09); 1897 (Doc Nosbisch); 1898 (Jolson1950, chuckgame.blogspot.com); 1899 (Keeper1st, treasurenet.com); 1900 (AndOneMillion, watchmojo.com); 1901 (pseerpianist, There Will Be Blood); 1902 (karenkek2kek, Gamingwithvariety); 1903 (Footagefile); 1904 (Bruce Victrolaman Young); 1905 (Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Ford); 1906 (Bruce Victrolaman Young); 1907 (warholsoup100, Library of Congress); 1908 (myzeidi); 1909 (Nathaniel Jordon, Cabinet Card Gallery); 1910 (CatsPJamas1, Bartlett History Museum); 1911 (bsgs98, Lewis Hine); 1912 (peteranders48, Titanic); 1913 (Solstaro, Ford); 1914 (jack11anbar); 1915 (pax41); 1916 (Tom Smith, Military Channel); 1917 (Military Channel); 1918 (ryanattalahdotcom)

I would like songs that can be put with a video if possible ? :)

Two observations:

What an idiot.

Number one, "what your religion is" has dippity squat to do with writing music unless you're writing religious music. NOR do fucking political philosophies.

Motown wrote its own stuff. Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson, the Holland-Dozier-Holland team, Ashford-Simpson, Marvin Gaye. House product.

You should go see the Motown Museum some day. It will help shake off that ridiculous bigotry.

I like connecting origins. Good idea Dalia.

Here's one -- a WW One song from 1918:

--- that shows up in 1977:

Aside from the similar lyrics, one glaring difference musically over this 60 year span is syncopation --- the use of polyrhythms. Music of 1918 was still stiff in the European tradition until the syncopation especially of ragtime ("ragged time") and blues and later jazz, made inroads from the African tradition.

In Arthur Fields' recording everything is pinned onto the beat, every lyric, every accent, every horn. By the time Waits records his adaptation, the bass is doing its thing while the vocal only follows vaguely sometimes hitting the beat, sometimes meandering completely off. It's markedly "looser".

That began around the time of the older recording here and made its way into Jazz, the American classical music.

I like connecting origins. Good idea Dalia.

Here's one -- a WW One song from 1918:

--- that shows up in 1977:

Aside from the similar lyrics, one glaring difference musically over this 60 year span is syncopation --- the use of polyrhythms. Music of 1918 was still stiff in the European tradition until the syncopation especially of ragtime ("ragged time") and blues and later jazz, made inroads from the African tradition.

In Arthur Fields' recording everything is pinned onto the beat, every lyric, every accent, every horn. By the time Waits records his adaptation, the bass is doing its thing while the vocal only follows vaguely sometimes hitting the beat, sometimes meandering completely off. It's markedly "looser".

That began around the time of the older recording here and made its way into Jazz, the American classical music.

The difference is obvious, thank you Pogo ... I like to learn about the past time and things have changed, we can imagine how it was in the old day by listening to music too :)

The invention of the Phonograph likely had the biggest influence on popular music! Thank you Mr Edison ---- and a few others...

What we imagine are the big hits have often been taken out of the context of that time period. Case in point:

A rare 1901 version of Ain't that a Shame ---- I really do apologize for the racial slur at the tail end, but well it's 1901. This is a very rare Victor Talking Machine and the recording is about as rare... The reason for turn down screw is because the record off-times would slip on account of the weight of the horn and sound box.

Last edited:
No revolution of music would be reasonable without the mention of Paul Whiteman. This is his #1 hit from 1920 ----- Whispering. This man introduced Jass/Jazz to "polite" society. This particular tune is found today on piano rolls, and a variety of record labels. So here it as as it should be played --- as it was originally:

Thank you LttleNipper for the information :)

I bring others informations about Pathe brothers.

Pathe was the dominant force in the French Phonograph market.

The story of the Pathe brothers, Charles & Emile's rise from rags to riches is a story of purest entrepreneurship.

In 1894 Charles had watched an Edison exhibitor at a fair, and had noticed that with an Edison phonograph with 20 listening tubes, an exhibitor was bringing in good money at every 2 minute cylinder he played.

Charles gave up his job and bought an Edison phonograph and cylinders and began to work the fairs around Paris and any places frequented by large amounts of people. Other fairground people noticed how much money Charles was taking in, and Charles realised that he also had a potential market to sell phonographs to. And thus he began importing and selling phonographs. To keep his customers supplied with popular music, he began to produce his own cylinders, recording musicians around Paris. In 1896 his brother Emile joined the growing company, and Pathe also branced out to cinematography. (this branch of Pathe still exists),

The Pathe brother soon realised that potentially an even greater profit could be made if they were to manufacture their own phonographs, rather than just selling Graphophones and Edisons. The first machine was a plagarism of the Graphopone Eagle that they caled "Le Coq"

Pathe's 1898 catalog contains various Graphophone & Edison machines that the Pathe brothers were trading in, as well as their own "Graphophone No. 25 Pathe 1898" machine. The Pathe 1898 could also be purchased in a fitted Neccesaire with a horn and a few cylinders.

By the 1900 catalog, Pathe were producing and selling many of their own machines. The Galoise, a fairly blatant immitation of the Edison Gem was on the market.

Pathé’s early phonographs were generally fitted with by aluminum horns. However, in 1905, due to the Russian-Japanese war, prices for this metal rose, and thus from arouns 1906, more painted tinplate horns were sold as a standard horn.

Pathe dropped all production of Phonographs in 1906, switching to disc machines.

listen4.jpg

No Edison - The website about antique phonographs other than Edison phonographs

We've left out the fact of the 1st war to have recorded patriotic music was likely the Spanish American War 1898. What better way to inspire the resolve of a nation ----- MUSIC and SONG!

The invention of the Phonograph likely had the biggest influence on popular music! Thank you Mr Edison ---- and a few others...

Yes but it's also responsible for the "three minute" standard. There's no intrinsic reason any song should have to conform to and be hammered into a three-minute format; that was simply the technological limit of the 78rpm disc. Unfortunately it became a traditional limitation.

"Was a beautiful song but it ran too long
If you wanna have a 'hit' you gotta make it fit
So they cut it down to three-oh-five"
(Billy Joel, "The Entertainer")

Yes but it's also responsible for the "three minute" standard. There's no intrinsic reason any song should have to conform to and be hammered into a three-minute format; that was simply the technological limit of the 78rpm disc. Unfortunately it became a traditional limitation.

"Was a beautiful song but it ran too long
If you wanna have a 'hit' you gotta make it fit
So they cut it down to three-oh-five"
(Billy Joel, "The Entertainer")

I agree; however, there are a lot of "songs" that I can barely oblige listening to for 2 minutes let alone for any longer.

Remember also that way back when there were other types of popular mechanical music entertainment available. Each had its effect and influence on the general public at that time: Here is the pop hit of 1905 played on a Mira Music Box.

Forum List

Back