Disciplining Students for Off Campus

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Some administrators and parents say school district intervention off school grounds is a good thing and a way to reach kids. But critics say the policies infringe on parental rights and go too far. They point to a state administrative code that only allows schools to discipline students for off-campus infractions that directly affect the school.

Some legal experts say it is harder to suspend a student from school for, say, stabbing another person, than it is to suspend a student from extracurricular activities for underage drinking. The reason: Education is a constitutional right; sports and after-school activities are privileges, and therefore not protected by the Constitution.

Legally, there has to be a connection to the school to expel or suspend a student, said Elizabeth Athos, an attorney with the New Jersey Law Center. But extracurricular activities are often considered privileges and the laws surrounding them can be a bit more murky.

From Cranford to Ohio, school districts weigh disciplining teens for off-campus misbehavior | NJ.com

Common sense would say that if 9 football players are arrested for aggravated assault, they should be kicked off the team. However, if they post a picture of a bong on facebook, it's not a crime.

But common sense no longer rules the day esp. in public education. Comments?

Last edited:
You are right. But according to the article, a girl was kicked off the cheerleading squad for a picture of her drinking at a wedding.

One size does not fit all, and that's what's being challenged. It could go either way, instead of case by case decisions by the school.

i think the schools should leave the kids alone during their off time....if there are police charges then the school may take action but for facebook? really? what amazes me ...who has the time to police teens on facebook...isnt that their parents job?

Some school districts seem to act as though they have parent rights over students in and out of school.

Some businesses also seem to think they have rights over their workers in or out of work, too.

That's how control freaks think.

on one hand people trash the nanny state ...while on the other hand they allow this type of censorship of behavior to go on....i am against behavior modification by the state or any other governing body...esp when it concerns our personal behavior or our behavior in our homes

Well, I believe certain dangerous/criminal activities outside of school can impact the safety of students within the school. However, the HIB law includes such silliness as gossiping on the internet from home.

There should be a common sense approach and the courts should not be in the business of dictating discipline in the schools. Certainly, they have better things to do. :confused:

We will see one of two scenarios:
1. ALL activity outside of school will be handled by the schools
2. NO activity outside of school will be handled by the schools

Neither of these will protect students IMHO.

Forum List

Back