Dirty words in 1920s England

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
I have just read a fascinating tidbit that I wanted to share with any other tidbit lovers.

During World War I, British men started to swear a lot as a way "to alleviate despair."

As you know, World War I (like all wars) caused horrific suffering.

According to my source, if a sergeant said, "Get your f*cking rifles," it was understood just as a matter of routine.

But if he did NOT use the F-word ("Get your rifles"), it indicated "urgency and danger."

In ordinary situations, we use swear words for emphasis.

But swear words were so overused by WW I soldiers, that if a soldier wanted to actually express an emotion, he would NOT swear!

Source: "Merely a Warning that a Noun is Coming" by Bee Wilson in the London Review of Books (print edition) for February 8, 2018. I assume that you can find it on the Web. (This computer illiterate old man cannot link.)

Long ago I read this limey tidbit. Whilst fighting with the TURKS------the expletive
ALLAHUAKBAR was heard by the Brits emanating from the other side------later on
came the "information" gleaned from the Turks----that the Turks had formed the
notion that "BLOODY BASTARD" is the name of the Christian "god"

I have just read a fascinating tidbit that I wanted to share with any other tidbit lovers.

During World War I, British men started to swear a lot as a way "to alleviate despair."

According to my source, if a sergeant said, "Get your f*cking rifles," it was understood just as a matter of routine.

But if he did NOT use the F-word ("Get your rifles"), it indicated "urgency and danger."

But swear words were so overused by WW I soldiers, that if a soldier wanted to actually express an emotion, he would NOT swear!

Source: "Merely a Warning that a Noun is Coming" by Bee Wilson in the London Review of Books (print edition) for February 8, 2018. I assume that you can find it on the Web. (This computer illiterate old man cannot link.)

That is so fucking interesting

That is so fucking interesting

Asshole

Decades ago in a lab where I worked one of the mechanics was always swearing at anything and everything. He got so mad at his boss about a blueprint that he said, You can stick this in your ......" he paused seemingly trying to outdo his cursing while everyone listened attentively, "... in your ear." Everyone about died laughing at his understatement. That phrase became a widespread meme in California.

Forum List

Back