DirectTV or DISH Network?

Have had Direct for a little over a year now and only minor problems her in snowy W. Michigan.

When they came to install the dish I assumed it would be somewhere on my roof. But because of lots of trees they had to mount it on about a 4-5 foot pole they stuck in my side yard, which I wasn't too thrilled with initially. Since planted a small bush to hide the pole and it's fine. But it turned out better as 3-4 times last winter I had no pic or sound and "no video signal" flashing on my TV screens. Turns out all I had to do was get the snow off the dish with a car brush and had pic/sound immediately. With a very tall two story house I wouldn't be thrilled about climbing up there to clear the snow and no telling how long I'd have to wait for mother nature to take care of it.

I've recommended it to a couple of friends here who were also battling Comcast and told them to insist Direct use poles for them too to avoid the snow problem.

If I switch, I'll insist on a pole. I don't want some installation yahoos drilling into my roof. Find out 5 years down the road that they didn't seal it properly, or such, and end up with a piece of ruined decking under my shingles? No way!

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread.

Have had Direct for a little over a year now and only minor problems her in snowy W. Michigan.

When they came to install the dish I assumed it would be somewhere on my roof. But because of lots of trees they had to mount it on about a 4-5 foot pole they stuck in my side yard, which I wasn't too thrilled with initially. Since planted a small bush to hide the pole and it's fine. But it turned out better as 3-4 times last winter I had no pic or sound and "no video signal" flashing on my TV screens. Turns out all I had to do was get the snow off the dish with a car brush and had pic/sound immediately. With a very tall two story house I wouldn't be thrilled about climbing up there to clear the snow and no telling how long I'd have to wait for mother nature to take care of it.

I've recommended it to a couple of friends here who were also battling Comcast and told them to insist Direct use poles for them too to avoid the snow problem.

If I switch, I'll insist on a pole. I don't want some installation yahoos drilling into my roof. Find out 5 years down the road that they didn't seal it properly, or such, and end up with a piece of ruined decking under my shingles? No way!

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread.

a pole? might be good choice.

btw, a local station, WGME(CBS) is in a battle with the Local time-warner franchise
and the channel might get pulled on Jan 1 2010
its just a contract dispute and will likely get resolved

Dish, because they carry Versus.
I don't know what that is, Oddball.
shrug.gif

Dish Network and DirecTV are the major satellite television providers in the United States. Both offer comparatively the same first-class high def viewing, have access to all the same channels, and both have 24/7 technical support. The only significant comparison for these two providers is pricing.

I guess it's a never ending battle between these two. The thing is, if you're into sports, go with Direct Tv, but if not, Dish Network is the service for you.

I had Direct TV for 10+ years. Loved it - but have since switched to Fios. The only thing I didn't like about Direct TV was their off-shore customer service providers, i.e. India one day, the Phillippines the next - however rarely had to call them as most of the issues (adding channels, dropping channels, buying movies, etc.) was done on-line. Most operating problems (lost signal, etc.) were resolved merely by unplugging the control box for a couple minutes and plugging it back in (reboot). I enjoyed it very much - Fios is pretty damned good too.

i had dish.....they suck for customer service.....i had an appointment to upgrade with dish ....no one showed....i called the regional customer service guy...wait for days...so i switch to direct tv...the regional customer service guy calls to ask what he can do for me...i told him nothing...i had direct tv now....well he got quiet lol

dtv goes out during rainy weather etc.....

snowy weather...icy weather...which covers about the weather we have

i also had hughes net which sucked....so one day ....i called charter...and ask them if they would install....o yes they said.....no problem....i told them i was off the road....they assured me no problem...when the installer got here...he was all about problems...now to decide how much cable would be needed and if i was more then 200 ft from road...they went up and own these hills...i am like what the hell...you arent burying the mal.....so a big fight went on...with me telling them they had mislead me.....how i had told the phone people there was a problem but they insisted there was not...long and short of it....i have charter....tv/net and love it.....i wouldnt go back to dish or direct if you paid me....i like having tv when it rains

now in all fairness ....one snow storm put charter out for nearly a week one year

If you guys are still confused on what to choose whether a Direct TV or a Dish Network. This awesome site could help you decide. You can also find Satellite TV Packages.

:cool:

i had dish.....they suck for customer service.....i had an appointment to upgrade with dish ....no one showed....i called the regional customer service guy...wait for days...so i switch to direct tv...the regional customer service guy calls to ask what he can do for me...i told him nothing...i had direct tv now....well he got quiet lol

dtv goes out during rainy weather etc.....

snowy weather...icy weather...which covers about the weather we have

i also had hughes net which sucked....so one day ....i called charter...and ask them if they would install....o yes they said.....no problem....i told them i was off the road....they assured me no problem...when the installer got here...he was all about problems...now to decide how much cable would be needed and if i was more then 200 ft from road...they went up and own these hills...i am like what the hell...you arent burying the mal.....so a big fight went on...with me telling them they had mislead me.....how i had told the phone people there was a problem but they insisted there was not...long and short of it....i have charter....tv/net and love it.....i wouldnt go back to dish or direct if you paid me....i like having tv when it rains

now in all fairness ....one snow storm put charter out for nearly a week one year
What's 'Charter', strollingbones?

If you guys are still confused on what to choose whether a Direct TV or a Dish Network. This awesome site could help you decide. You can also find Satellite TV Packages.

:cool:
I'm still looking to pull the trigger and dump Comcast cable for Direct TV.

Right now, Costco is offering a $180 Costco Cash Card just for signing up. It's a 2 year contract for Choice XTRA (over 210 channels) @ $65.99 per month for the first year. With different receiver costs, etc., it's $80.25 per month for the first year.

But I do not want to sign up without knowing exactly where they would want to put the dish (I don't want it mounted to my roof). They charge $75 to put it in your yard, since they have to mix/pour a cement base. But I would need to know how they enter the house, and how they run the wiring.

Once they get it into your house, does it still use existing coaxial cable to connect to each room, or does something new need to be run?

We are looking at 2 big products and names here and just like buying any merchandise, further reserach should be done in order for you to maximise the features and of course, your money. You have to be practical nowadays and it would be best if you can make the best out of it. One should be looking at satellite tv offers that would meet your qualifications. In order for you to get a comparison of the 2 cable providers, try going to this link, it is very helpful.. http://www.dish-network-vs-direct-tv.com/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back