Direct TV

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
Kind of nervous. Switching from comcast to Direct this week. Anybody use Direct have any guidance as to quirks, etc. I have never been off cable before. I will keep the comcast internet. Right now I only watch 2-3 stations. They assure me that I can get one of them by an antennae they will add onto side of dish which is even more concerning since it is my primary channel. Told them that if it doesn't work, they will be back out the next day gathering all their stuff up off my front lawn.

On the plus side I will get some channels I don't currently get that I want, primarily RFD TV. I do find it odd that they have just about every NBC channel except MSNBC, but whatever.

Not really any better or worse than any other pay tv service. Heavy rain will interrupt your service though.

Don't let them talk you into at&t internet though, that sucked.

Kind of nervous. Switching from comcast to Direct this week. Anybody use Direct have any guidance as to quirks, etc. I have never been off cable before. I will keep the comcast internet. Right now I only watch 2-3 stations. They assure me that I can get one of them by an antennae they will add onto side of dish which is even more concerning since it is my primary channel. Told them that if it doesn't work, they will be back out the next day gathering all their stuff up off my front lawn.

On the plus side I will get some channels I don't currently get that I want, primarily RFD TV. I do find it odd that they have just about every NBC channel except MSNBC, but whatever.
I used to install during the recession. They didn't have CBS back then because of a contract dispute..You really should check out streaming services that are cheaper and you can find what you like and pay less. I stream a lot on YouTube has millions of titles and a majority are-free..I use a WiiU game console to stream with..

Not really any better or worse than any other pay tv service. Heavy rain will interrupt your service though.

As soon as he was told that we have an Xbox, he was, "nope you are sticking with comcast internet. nobody around here beats it" The guy doesn't work for direct. He works for a company that more or less brokers a lot of services through their company. TV was just one of them

I used to install during the recession. They didn't have CBS back then because of a contract dispute..You really should check out streaming services that are cheaper and you can find what you like and pay less. I stream a lot on YouTube has millions of titles and a majority are-free..I use a WiiU game console to stream with..
They have it now, but Blue Bloods is only CBS show I watch anyway

As soon as he was told that we have an Xbox, he was, "nope you are sticking with comcast internet. nobody around here beats it" The guy doesn't work for direct. He works for a company that more or less brokers a lot of services through their company. TV was just one of them
My oldest boy is a big time gamer, high ranked in overwatch and tf2 (whatever that is) and even top tier u verse wasn't fast enough.

I have looked at them in the past. The hitch in my giddy up with those is that to get that one PBS station I watch religiously isn't on any of them so I would have to pay an additional $60/year for access to a limited amount of programming online and the others would require me to buy more expensive plans just for the occasional time too many people in my house would have TV's running simultaneously. If it were just me, I otherwise would do away with TV completely.

I have looked at them in the past. The hitch in my giddy up with those is that to get that one PBS station I watch religiously isn't on any of them so I would have to pay an additional $60/year for access to a limited amount of programming online and the others would require me to buy more expensive plans just for the occasional time too many people in my house would have TV's running simultaneously. If it were just me, I otherwise would do away with TV completely.
Surely an antenna would pick up the PBS station. My son and I live together and we cut the cord five years ago it was a waste of time and money on redundancy..

My oldest boy is a big time gamer, high ranked in overwatch and tf2 (whatever that is) and even top tier u verse wasn't fast enough.

That xbox is a bandwidth suck even when it is sitting idle because Microsoft uses their P2P capabilities as a supplement to the microsoft network to spread updates.

Mine was also for a while and the high refresh rate resolution gamer crap is really expensive..I even took him to Denver two years ago to see a three day competition. I gotta visit the pot dispensaries..He quit gaming because of the toxic atmosphere but I still want to go back to Colorado..

Surely an antenna would pick up the PBS station. My son and I live together and we cut the cord five years ago it was a waste of time and money on redundancy..

Surely it does not.....not this one. Digital antennas do not work well in our area anyway as we only have 1 close by broadcast station. The rest are fairly far away and there are lots of hills between us and the ones to the north. The ones to the south are about as bad. This particular station is a one-off station from the PBS system in another state. We are way to far away from its over the air broadcasters to get it. We could get their primary channel (but am told it freezes a lot) but not the one I watch

That xbox is a bandwidth suck even when it is sitting idle because Microsoft uses their P2P capabilities as a supplement to the microsoft network to spread updates.
He plays PC versions so that's not really an issues for us.

Surely it does not.....not this one. Digital antennas do not work well in our area anyway as we only have 1 close by broadcast station. The rest are fairly far away and there are lots of hills between us and the ones to the north. The ones to the south are about as bad. This particular station is a one-off station from the PBS system in another state. We are way to far away from its over the air broadcasters to get it. We could get their primary channel (but am told it freezes a lot) but not the one I watch
That is also a variable I took it for granted you lived in town. The closest station by me is forty miles away.

Was not impressed. Checking out Sling next

That is also a variable I took it for granted you lived in town. The closest station by me is forty miles away.

I do live in a village by a city that simply has no TV stations LOL. Since we are in an overlap area on a state line, we actually used to get two of each network--one from each state. You could usually get one of each at least, plus a few odds and ends on just the little antennae on TV's (perhaps with a clotheshanger and aluminum foil stuck on top after you broke the end off by accident. Digital conversion however really landed hard on this area in that regard. The only people who seem to be able to get half way service have to erect really tall poles and most of them live outside the city. There seems to be a lot of electronic interference (all the cell towers perhaps, not sure) in town affecting digital.

I have never been off cable before.

You must be pretty young ...

red-tv-with-antenna.jpg

I do live in a village by a city that simply has no TV stations LOL. Since we are in an overlap area on a state line, we actually used to get two of each network--one from each state. You could usually get one of each at least, plus a few odds and ends on just the little antennae on TV's (perhaps with a clotheshanger and aluminum foil stuck on top after you broke the end off by accident. Digital conversion however really landed hard on this area in that regard. The only people who seem to be able to get half way service have to erect really tall poles and most of them live outside the city. There seems to be a lot of electronic interference (all the cell towers perhaps, not sure) in town affecting digital.
In the 1990's when I lived in town I did have one of the new small dish satellite you installed yourself and antenna on a 15 foot pole with a motor to rotate.

Forum List

Back