‘Direct Access’ Stimulus Grants for the Muslim Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by chanel, Sep 19, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Coming August 31: ‘Direct Access’ Stimulus Grants for the Muslim Brotherhood

This article connect the dots between the CCMO and the Muslim Brotherhood. That's a serious accusation.

My question is: How many other religious leaders have been invited to the WH for workshops on how to access stimulus money?

Also: How many libs on the board believe that government funding should be used for religious programs? They don't even like the scouts using public facilities for their meetings.

This is a big fucking deal IMHO.

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    chanel, I tried the Washington Post, NY Times and Associated Press, and cannot confirm this story. I'm not comfy with Brietbart as a source; the item (if true) is certainly discussion-worthy but I'd be happier if I could confirm it.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I'll look also, but they posted the entire invitation. On the surface it seems pretty benign. I'm all for non-profit social services. I think they generally do a hell of a better job than the govt. but...

Coming August 31: ‘Direct Access’ Stimulus Grants for the Muslim Brotherhood

The MSM will probably not cover it for a couple of different reasons. And the WH may cry "counter - terrorism" which I can understand can't always be shared with the media.

But if we take it at face value, what do you think of this?

4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Well, Breitbart claims there are organizations under the CCMO umbrella that are unindicted co-conspirators in the Holy Land Foundation terrorism finance trial, and I find it disturbing (if true) that the White House cannot yet distinguish between a benign charity and a terrorist support group.

As for the underlying notion, it is true government grant writing is an arcane art form. If you want a subgroup to participate more heavily, outreach is usually a good idea. I'd also agree -- and Breitbart seems to concede -- that fuller participation by Muslim charities will help assimilate Muslim immigrants to the US. That certainly seems laudable.

I guess on balance, I'm a little uneasy.....one reason it would have be nice to confirm this. I hope you are wrong about the MSM just ignoring it.

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Well here's a followup from Big Peace.

Department of Agriculture Builds a Stonewall Around the Muslim Brotherhood Grants Workshop

Their response includes Baptist and Jews, yet NO mention of Muslims. Hmmm. :doubt:

This is the author. I have a feeling she isn't going to let this slide.

6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    chanel, nothing on the WSJ or FOXNews sites. But anyway, assuming it is all true, what is your reaction?

7. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    If the money is being funneled to terror-supporting charities, that's a big fucking deal. I won't make that leap, but I am certain the Center for Security Policy will be investigating.

If the money is going to be used to provide soup kitchens, aid for domestic violence victims and whatnot, then great. But I would hope they are held to the same standards of non-discrimination that other religious groups are.

And I hear ya about the grant writing process. However, my mailbox is flooded with ads for workshops every day. None are sponsored by the federal govt., and none are free.

How about you?

8. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I've been on both sides of the equation, chanel. Inside government, trying to drive grant or contract dollars where we wanted them to go and outside, trying to help a client obtain some. It's such a byzantine process I feel comfy saying no CCMO organization has received any funds between August 31st and today....and prolly no dollars will be distributed this year.

I'm with ya on the terror funding thingie. Seems sort like the nose on your face; dun give cash to people who're trying to blow up America.

Religious organizations do have some latitude to discriminate. A Catholic, Jewish, Lutheran, etc. agency can limit its works to members of its own faith, in general. (This is not true if the works are life-saving, or in some other circumstances.) But I'd have no heartburn over a Muslim charity turning away non-Muslim clients.

I'm not as comfy as you are relying on the chick who wrote the article; I may drop my electeds a line and ask what's up.

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,879
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Hister

Hister BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Terror supporting charities? You mean like the US army?