Dining in the Dark

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A restaurant slated to open early next year in Tribeca promises to leave diners in the dark - literally.

Blind waiters will be serving up French cuisine at Dans le Noir? New York, in a windowless space devoid of light.

"It's a sensory culinary experience," said manager Celine Djezvedjian. "This is an experience that will allow people to discover and rediscover the food and wine they already know."

Clumsy foodies have nothing to fear, Djezvedjian said.

In the six years since the unconventional restaurant first opened in Paris, there has not been a single incident. In fact, it has been so successful - and safe - that Dans le Noir? - French for "In the Black?" - now has outposts in London and Moscow.

"We take safety very seriously," Djezvedjian said.

Read more: Is this a recipe for disaster? Manager of new dine-in-the-dark eatery Dans le Noir? says fear not

Gimmick or good idea?

Tribeca.

I be amazed if this was the most ridiculous idea to bubble to the surface of their brains.

"But, but it's never been done before, we can't do that, it's...it's different".
Yes Virginia, the conservative mind even rejected fire back in the day. Be thankful there are who ask why and why not.

I thought Tribeca was a Subaru or something?

Dining in the dark?
Pretty strange but gimmics will draw certain types for a while, And if the base in the atrea is large enough it could make it.

I do not think it would succeed here in KY.

It does kind of make me think of partisan politics though.

I thought Tribeca was a Subaru or something?

Dining in the dark?
Pretty strange but gimmics will draw certain types for a while, And if the base in the atrea is large enough it could make it.

I do not think it would succeed here in KY.

It does kind of make me think of partisan politics though.

If Tribeca was just a Subaru Mini Van, then that would be great.

Wouldn't miners avoidit like the plague??????

and don't people want to see what they're eating?

How do they cut their steak????????

In a way they have a point. Take away one sense. (sight) and your other senses are heightened.

Its never gonna fly. There are to many draw backs, law suits the main one. Someone tripping, someone cutting or burning themselves. A chipped tooth because you hit yourself with the wine glass. Someone choking and the lights are off so no one can help.

Last edited:
In a way they have a point. Take away one sense. (sight) and your other senses are heightened.

Its never gonna fly. There are to many draw backs, law suits the main one. Someone tripping, someone cutting or burning themselves. A chipped tooth because you hit yourself with the wine glass. Someone choking and the lights are off so no one can help.

According to the article, the place in Paris has had no incidents. But I imagine the French aren't as sue happy as New Yorkers.

I like trying new trendy places in NY, but this doesn't interest me at all. Not a fan of the dark. I still leave the hall light on when I sleep.

Personally I think this is a stupid idea.

When I go out to dinner with my lovely wife, I want to see her because she always looks great dressed up. And a large part of enjoying a meal is the presentation. I want to see what I'm eating.

Interestingly this week in USA Today they had an article about N. Koreans that had fled into South Korea. One guy they interviewed claimed that his greatest problem being in North Korea was having.....

.....****Drumroll please*****.....

To EAT IN THE DARK

Apparently, frequent blackouts leave much of N. Korea without electricity and lights, making seeing what meager food you might have looked forward to eating all day, impossible to find in the dark.

Forum List

Back