Dilemma. Your thoughts?

I am not around during the day here as I used to be because I am always on the prowl..hunting for a roof. Twice, I put Karma in harms way during my hunting. One was....she fell down stairs because she has never seen them before and it never crossed my mind she would not understand how to get down them although she got up them just fine. She was not hurt, but it scared her and scared me more when I reached her at the bottom where she tumbled all the way down.

The second time was meeting a nice lady in the town next to me. Really nice lady. We all liked her immediately. The room was nice too. Not a great neighborhood but not the worst. Problem was...she had a german shepherd that wanted to eat karma. It took all that lady's strength to keep that growling snapping snarling spittle sharp toothed huge dog from tearing karma apart. I got in front of Karma, then MrG picked her up and I was the only thing keeping her from being hurt really bad. The lady was very apologetic and tried to pass it off as her dog just wanting to "play". That was not play and she knew it, but she was embarrassed so I let her live in her lalaland belief it was innocent play. Playing dogs do not exhibit that kind of behavior.

I promised Karma I would always put her best interests first and I meant it. We are living in a van and an RV both, because nobody will rent to us with a dog that weighs over 20 lbs. Thats how much we love our dog. No karma, no room. Ok. Van it is, then.
I am fearful of those two pits. They could be the sweetest dogs on earth..just like karma...not trained to maim and kill...then again, nobody knows except the previous owner of the pits just what their temperament is, either. And why did this person give them up for fostering to begin with? The lady did not know. She just took them in.

My gut says....swallow the pain of not getting in that lovely home or enjoying that beautiful yard, and continue to keep Karma safe.
But I worry about that old lady too. Alone, with two strange pits in her laundry room.
Agreed! Go with your gut on this one, Gracie. Tough luck, but Karma will probably be better off for you decision. Pits can be sweet, but they are naturally inclined to certain behaviors, regardless of how sweet they might be. How many times are there reports of the sweetest, nicest pits who kill their owner's children, or elderly family members, or the neighbor's dogs, cats, or children?

The other thing is - two dogs create a pack. And if there is any prey drive, if they're not well evaluated and the owner is clueless...it could put other dogs at risk like Karma.

I am not around during the day here as I used to be because I am always on the prowl..hunting for a roof. Twice, I put Karma in harms way during my hunting. One was....she fell down stairs because she has never seen them before and it never crossed my mind she would not understand how to get down them although she got up them just fine. She was not hurt, but it scared her and scared me more when I reached her at the bottom where she tumbled all the way down.

The second time was meeting a nice lady in the town next to me. Really nice lady. We all liked her immediately. The room was nice too. Not a great neighborhood but not the worst. Problem was...she had a german shepherd that wanted to eat karma. It took all that lady's strength to keep that growling snapping snarling spittle sharp toothed huge dog from tearing karma apart. I got in front of Karma, then MrG picked her up and I was the only thing keeping her from being hurt really bad. The lady was very apologetic and tried to pass it off as her dog just wanting to "play". That was not play and she knew it, but she was embarrassed so I let her live in her lalaland belief it was innocent play. Playing dogs do not exhibit that kind of behavior.

I promised Karma I would always put her best interests first and I meant it. We are living in a van and an RV both, because nobody will rent to us with a dog that weighs over 20 lbs. Thats how much we love our dog. No karma, no room. Ok. Van it is, then.
I am fearful of those two pits. They could be the sweetest dogs on earth..just like karma...not trained to maim and kill...then again, nobody knows except the previous owner of the pits just what their temperament is, either. And why did this person give them up for fostering to begin with? The lady did not know. She just took them in.

My gut says....swallow the pain of not getting in that lovely home or enjoying that beautiful yard, and continue to keep Karma safe.
But I worry about that old lady too. Alone, with two strange pits in her laundry room.

I would go with you're gut. At 12 yrs old, Karma is vulnerable. That one old lady sounds like she has a lot of dogs...I actually love pits, but you have no way of knowing what sort of screening she does, how dog saavy she is and if she travels a lot it's just you, Mr. G, the two pits and 6 littles and Karma. To many uncertainties.
I just got another response, as I was reading about Debbie Reynolds surprising death.
So damn sad, that.

I will contact this newest one tomorrow. And yeah...I hope she has little doggies...or chickens...or kitties. Hell, even a horse!

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

I would go with you're gut. At 12 yrs old, Karma is vulnerable. That one old lady sounds like she has a lot of dogs...I actually love pits, but you have no way of knowing what sort of screening she does, how dog saavy she is and if she travels a lot it's just you, Mr. G, the two pits and 6 littles and Karma. To many uncertainties.
I just got another response, as I was reading about Debbie Reynolds surprising death.
So damn sad, that.

I will contact this newest one tomorrow. And yeah...I hope she has little doggies...or chickens...or kitties. Hell, even a horse!

Fingers crossed that this response is a good one then! At least you're getting responses.

Keep thinking about what you said about the smell...my in laws had 9 chihuahua's that pottied indoors and they were elderly and didn't clean it up. The house was trashed by those little dogs...

That is what mrg is concerned about. But she did say they have their own doggie door to their private area away from the pits.
I kinda feel bad for the pits...being locked up in the laundry room. Makes you wonder about the people that even let her foster them.

Well...I spoke to her today to get more info on the dogs and she said the foster place called her because both dogs were to be put down and wanted to see if she would foster them so they wouldn't have to. The female is aggressive and hyper, the male was abused and is timid. She introduced a couple of her little dogs to them yesterday via a fence separating them and she didn't know if the aggressive female wanted to "play" with one of the little dogs, but it ran back into the house and was afraid of the female, so she plans to keep them separated at all times. She knows nothing else about them and for me not to worry...they would stay in the back yard and laundry room, and Karma would be with me all the time and have access to the front yard. When I said "what if they get out into the house because someone forgot to close a door by mistake", she said oh, that wouldn't happen. When I told her I have spoken to my vet and other people, they were concerned about karma. When I told her the traits of pitties, according to experts and my own vet and they said it was not a good idea for two pits to be together and not socialized, were about to be put down, were hard to place because most folks want little dogs, etc...she got mad at me and said my fear was overriding how sweet these dogs are..even though one wanted to each her pomeranian but the fence was in the way. So I said it has been a pleasure to meet her and I so wanted to meet her in person and it seemed perfect, but I have to go along with what I know about pits...especially unknown pits and their history...and she has an aggressive one....but we had to pass. She said "FINE". She was quite offended.

Which tells me maybe some of her common sense cells no longer are sparking properly. I mean...she saw for herself and still is in denial. And SHAME on the foster place that called her asking her to take two dogs they were going to put down just so they wouldn't have to. Push it on to some old lady to take the problem off their hands.

Back to the hunt! Oh, and same goes for the second lady that called yesterday that has a pit named Gotti...after the mafia kingpin. I scratched her off the list too.

Well...I spoke to her today to get more info on the dogs and she said the foster place called her because both dogs were to be put down and wanted to see if she would foster them so they wouldn't have to. The female is aggressive and hyper, the male was abused and is timid. She introduced a couple of her little dogs to them yesterday via a fence separating them and she didn't know if the aggressive female wanted to "play" with one of the little dogs, but it ran back into the house and was afraid of the female, so she plans to keep them separated at all times. She knows nothing else about them and for me not to worry...they would stay in the back yard and laundry room, and Karma would be with me all the time and have access to the front yard. When I said "what if they get out into the house because someone forgot to close a door by mistake", she said oh, that wouldn't happen. When I told her I have spoken to my vet and other people, they were concerned about karma. When I told her the traits of pitties, according to experts and my own vet and they said it was not a good idea for two pits to be together and not socialized, were about to be put down, were hard to place because most folks want little dogs, etc...she got mad at me and said my fear was overriding how sweet these dogs are..even though one wanted to each her pomeranian but the fence was in the way. So I said it has been a pleasure to meet her and I so wanted to meet her in person and it seemed perfect, but I have to go along with what I know about pits...especially unknown pits and their history...and she has an aggressive one....but we had to pass. She said "FINE". She was quite offended.

Which tells me maybe some of her common sense cells no longer are sparking properly. I mean...she saw for herself and still is in denial. And SHAME on the foster place that called her asking her to take two dogs they were going to put down just so they wouldn't have to. Push it on to some old lady to take the problem off their hands.

Back to the hunt! Oh, and same goes for the second lady that called yesterday that has a pit named Gotti...after the mafia kingpin. I scratched her off the list too.

If she herself said one was agressive...what the hell? There's a ton of nice pits being put down. My friend does pit rescue, and she is super picky about temperment.

I have met some very sweet pits and even paid for their adoption fees at the local pound, so yeah. I agree with you. But both of these dogs are unknowns and she has not had them since puppyhood, so she does not know their history. THAT is the problem. And keeping them segregated in a laundry room while she travels is not doing them any favors. And if this is not making her see the wrongs about 8 dogs...what other two G's will she not see about housemates????

I just have to keep hunting. We aren't asking much. Just a safe place, allowed to be together, pay our way, have internet access, a place to cook small meals, a real toilet and shower, and chores to keep our joints limber. Is that too much to want?

I'd be more afraid of the timid dog, seriously. The pup I recently adopted was described as "timid" and I was warned that I had to approach slowly and carefully, which I have done. That's why she was not recommended for a household with small children. Well, my partner took charge yesterday and failing to coax Penny inside (you have to be patient, she will come), he grabbed her as soon as she was in range. He's nursing a bite wound right now. Timid dogs can be more dangerous than openly aggressive animals.

I just feel bad that I offended her. I didn't intend to, but I guess I did.

I got conned once and it cost us money. We were embarrassed at ourselves. Maybe she knows she was used by taking in these two dogs and realizes it? I don't know, but I did send her an email to explain better, and wished her luck.

Karma is timid now, but hides behind me. In the 12 years I have had her, she has never shown her teeth in fear..or anger. Not even when wrestling with Gracie. Moki, on the other hand, he would bite even daddy if he tried to pull him out from underneath the bed or footstool for bath time, lol.

Update:

Just now..I got an email from the lady with the pitts. The young female one that "just wants to play" got hold of one of her little dogs. She said she had to bite its ear to make it let go before she killed her little dog which was hurt but not dead....and sent it back to foster care today. The other pit, she still has, but he tries very hard to get through the fence to her other 6 little dogs, so she "hopes she can find a home for him soon".

:cuckoo:

I so much wanted to cap my response of I TOLD YOU SO!!! but I refrained. I also told her I might have found another room to rent and am working on it, and wished her well.

Which begs the question...how did the female pit get hold of her little dog? Did she FORGET TO CLOSE THE LAUNDRY ROOM DOOR, perhaps?

Dayum. And she wanted me to trust Karma and my own body to those two dogs? AND, she is lucky the pit didn't turn on HER after she bit its ear.

Update:

Just now..I got an email from the lady with the pitts. The young female one that "just wants to play" got hold of one of her little dogs. She said she had to bite its ear to make it let go before she killed her little dog which was hurt but not dead....and sent it back to foster care today. The other pit, she still has, but he tries very hard to get through the fence to her other 6 little dogs, so she "hopes she can find a home for him soon".

:cuckoo:

I so much wanted to cap my response of I TOLD YOU SO!!! but I refrained. I also told her I might have found another room to rent and am working on it, and wished her well.

She's crazy to keep the other one...good lord!

Or keep ground cayenne pepper on hand..When dogs fight or even growl, you can sprinkle it on their nose, and their mind is kept busy..

Or keep ground cayenne pepper on hand..When dogs fight or even growl, you can sprinkle it on their nose, and their mind is kept busy..
Good to know! Wish I read this yesterday. Took karma to the beach and a loose pit with an idiot owner not holding its leash tried to attack karma until I grabbed it by the collar and it was trying to bite me until I kneed it in the ribs. Poor karma peed herself and I wanted to kill the idiot owner.
Tomorrow...I buy a bottle of some Cayenne powder to put in my pocket from now on.

Forum List

Back