Dikta, the next Illinois Senator?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MtnBiker, Jul 13, 2004.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    "Now that Mike Ditka has indicated he would offer all voters in Illinois a better choice, ABC will immediately gear up its fund-raising and endorsement efforts," said Hug.

The fund-raiser includes supporters who have pledged at least $10,000 to ABC if Mike Ditka becomes the nominee for U.S. senator from Illinois.

527 political organizations, unlike federal campaigns, can take unlimited contributions from individuals or companies, but must run their own campaign, not "coordinating" with the official committee.

"While we need large donors to get the race kicked off," noted Hug, "the coach is truly a man of and from the common people, so we are calling for all Ditka supporters to be at 100 E. Chestnut at 8 p.m. to make their voices heard."

Last week, ABC released a poll taken by 21st Century Campaigns LLC of Chicago. It conducted the poll from July 3 through July 5 over the Internet, taking advantage of its more than 1,500,000-name e-mail list in Illinois.

Steve Denari, CEO of 21st Century, noted that he had not seen such a strong showing for a political outsider since last October, when 21st Century polled in the Arnold Schwarzenegger campaign in California.

The results were as follows:

Mike Ditka 58%
    Jim Oberweis 16%
    Steve Rauschenberger 12%
    Others/Undecided 14%

Full Story

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Being from Illinois, none of this strikes me as terribly weird, it's the way things are. Too funny, I was just going to post this:

http://www.vodkapundit.com/archives/006108.php#006108

3. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Is the Fridge gonna be his campaign manager?

4. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Like with Arnold, people are naive enough to vote for who they recognize as cool in ENTERTAINMENT instead of the best person for the job.

Just like high school.

What a bunch of kids Americans are.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually I do believe this to be a sideshow, one Chicago is well known for. Obama is going to win and my guess be the up and coming bright light for the dems very quickly. Smart, good looking, and I do believe Muslim.

6. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There goes the neighborhood.

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    So Kathianne, do you think he will be the nominee and if so how will he fair?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ditka? Oh he'll get some votes, he's pretty active in GOP Illinois. They asked all the regular liklies: Thompson, Edgar, and Topinka, no way were any of them putting themselves out for a suicide run. Ditka can afford to, it's a lark and puts him back in the limelight. In 2000 he appeared at every Bush event I went to, this will put him onstage with GW, he'll like that.

They need to put someone on, so I guess he might well be it.

9. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I dunno. I think Ditka can do it. Alot of Dems in Chicago remember 85. Theyll be nostalgic for Da Coach. Ditka may not be a seasoned politician but as he said he has conservative values and doesn't take shit from anyone. I'd welcome an outsider into the Senate to maybe shake things up a bit.

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    I think the race will be entertaining regardless. cause I know he isnt going to take crap. He is going to be straight up and honest. A rare occurance for a politician.