Dignity never dies

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
"I feel Justice Thomas has abdicated and abandoned his African American heritage by claiming slavery did not strip dignity from human beings."

- George Takei

According to George Takei, in his racially tinged tirade against Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, his dignity went away the moment he and his family were forced out of their home at the gunpoints of American soldiers acting on orders to extricate over 100,000 Japanese American citizens from their homes and placing them into internment camps.

But the Soviet soldier in the photo below should attest otherwise. Even after being captured, stripped of his freedom, he maintained his dignity by staring down Heinrich Himmler in an act of defiance.

Himmler+and+a+prisoner+locked+in+a+staring+contest+The+Defiance.jpg

The fact that Takei is here to tell his story about being humiliated and imprisoned at the hands of the US Government, the fact that he never let that stop him from pursuing his dreams means that he never lost his dignity. Harriet Tubman also proved, that even after being beaten severely (even causing a head injury which led to bouts of fainting) by slave masters, she kept her dignity by giving other slaves their freedom, leading them across the Mason Dixon Line.

I said to de Lord [sic], 'I'm goin' to hold steady on to you, an' I know you'll see me through.'

Harriet Tubman

Even Anne Frank maintained her aspiration to be a journalist, as Jews all across Europe were being persecuted unmercifully by the Nazis, saying she wanted to be a writer, to be useful or to bring enjoyment to people she never met.

I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death! And that's why I'm so grateful to God for having given me this gift, which I can use to develop myself and to express all that's inside me!

-Anne Frank, August 5th, 1944

Finally, even the Japanese children being held in internment camps, or Nisei (children who were born in countries other than Japan) held about themselves their dignity while, like Takei, being imprisoned in internment camps.

Let not harsh tongues, that wag
in vain, Discourage you. In spite of
pain, Be like the cactus, which through
rain, And storm, and thunder, can
remain.

Kimii Nagata

Dignity never dies, history proves it. Sometimes, dignity is all you have. The only way people lose their dignity is if they surrender it willingly.

Last edited:
One can only live with dignity, you can not die with dignity.

How can you not die with dignity? I disagree with that notion, Kosh. Dignity is something you can die with. Dignity is a form of pride and self respect, and I know many people who died feeling that way.

So. No white privilege, other people's dignity can't be stripped. I can't wait for the next revelation.

The Confederacy didn't stand for the inferiority of the black man, perhaps?

The sky is not blue?

I bet you think race doesn't really exist, while you live in a state that formed a new government on the basis of the inferiority of the black man.

Last edited:
"I feel Justice Thomas has abdicated and abandoned his African American heritage by claiming slavery did not strip dignity from human beings."

- George Takei

According to George Takei, in his racially tinged tirade against Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, his dignity went away the moment he and his family were forced out of their home at the gunpoints of American soldiers acting on orders to extricate over 100,000 Japanese American citizens from their homes and placing them into internment camps.

But the Soviet soldier in the photo below should attest otherwise. Even after being captured, stripped of his freedom, he maintained his dignity by staring down Heinrich Himmler in an act of defiance.

The fact that Takei is here to tell his story about being humiliated and imprisoned at the hands of the US Government, the fact that he never let that stop him from pursuing his dreams means that he never lost his dignity. Harriet Tubman also proved, that even after being beaten severely (even causing a head injury which led to bouts of fainting) by slave masters, she kept her dignity by giving other slaves their freedom, leading them across the Mason Dixon Line.

I said to de Lord [sic], 'I'm goin' to hold steady on to you, an' I know you'll see me through.'

Harriet Tubman

Even Anne Frank maintained her aspiration to be a journalist, as Jews all across Europe were being persecuted unmercifully by the Nazis, saying she wanted to be a writer, to be useful or to bring enjoyment to people she never met.

I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death! And that's why I'm so grateful to God for having given me this gift, which I can use to develop myself and to express all that's inside me!

Finally, even the Japanese children being held in internment camps, or Nisei (children who were born in countries other than Japan) held about themselves their dignity while, like Takei, being imprisoned in internment camps.

remain.

Kimii Nagata

Dignity never dies, history proves it. Sometimes, dignity is all you have. The only way people lose their dignity is if they surrender it willingly.

Takei overstepped and apologized. As he should have.

Takei overstepped and apologized. As he should have.

And I forgave him. But I just wanted to address one specific thing he said in one of his attempted clarifications. He believes you can strip someone of their dignity. I could think of no earthly power powerful enough to do that. Not Nazism, not the 1940's era US government, nor the slavemaster.

- George Takei

Harriet Tubman

remain.

Kimii Nagata

Weren't you going to take some time off?

Why yes, you said you were going to take some time off...

Forum List

Back