Digital TV Conversion Mandate

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Paulie, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,384
    I haven't seen a discussion about this on the board.

What are people's thoughts on this?

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    It's stupid, another way for someone to make a buck off you. I am just tossing out my TV like all the other smart people.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,384
    I think it goes beyond just making a buck.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    It's just wrong. I don't have a dog in the fight, I've already got digital, it's just wrong to force.

5. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    My complaint as well. They should have just waited until everyone had a digital TV (many already are but they are fooled into buying a stupid box anyway) then just made the switch. Then they advertise it with nothing but false advertising (digital media is NOT better quality than analog media, it's just smaller) that tricks even more people into buying those stupid boxes (which are mostly just signal boosters anyway). I watch most of my stuff online anyway and my TV is for DVD's and video games so no big loss for me. Anyone with internet can find better entertainment online, and if you spend a little money you can get NetFlix then just watch all the movies to, unless you are like me and just watch the pirated versions (sick of and protesting theater prices).

Special notice: Most likely your TV won't be effected, almost all TVs made since 2000 have the digital signal converters already, anything made in Europe from 1998 will as well.

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,384
    With universal digital, cable and telecommunication companies can closely monitor everyones' individual viewing habits, and they could theoretically target not just specific markets, but specific HOUSEHOLDS with precise advertising.

You could literally be receiving different advertising than your neighbors.

I can't for the life of me understand what the benefits could possibly be for us.

Something just seems strange about discontinuing all analog broadcasting. It's almost as if they want to obtain complete control over the analog airways for something else.

7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,384
    By "they" I mean the government, specifically. I don't understand why they'd even get involved in something like this, otherwise. Not to mention, where they even get the constitutional authority.

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Oookay .... put down the pot.

The change was planned a looooong time ago, it was done so they could sell more air space (the frequencies they transmit on) to more stations. This won't interest most viewers so of course we aren't going to add our taxes to the pool. So the companies had to come up with the scare (upgrade or lose your signal) advertising to get people to be stupid and buy the boxes, thus increasing their profits. However, the biggest profits they are getting are from the TV stations having to switch over NOW instead of the original completion schedule. This means that we are now getting lower quality TV (more ads less shows) to pay for it, so free TV is just going to suck more. Now, who are 'they', the electronics companies of course, a few of them, who specialize in ... dum dum dum ... broadcast digital electronics (I hate specializations). Guess who owns these companies ... dum dum dum ... one is owned Gore.

9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,384
    Right. Because what they sold it to us as, is exactly how it really is. :rolleyes:

And I barely smoke pot anymore. I'm probably TOO sober right now as I type this.

I naturally have very little trust in anything the government does, specifically something like this where they have no business sticking their fucking noses.

10. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Well ... a good way to figure it out, anytime something just seems too silly but there is for some strange reason a huge band wagon about it, there is one person profiting from it who just happens to be in the government, in this case (again) it's Gore. Like the recycling thing, he's profiting hugely from it while we are all paying a small fortune in taxes, but the program does nothing to save the environment. Digital signals were already planned, he just found a way to push it into the government so he could make a quick buck again, and probably paid off Bush unless Bush is really THAT stupid.