Digital cameras--depth of field

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
I know I'm being lazy but is depth of field a whole different ballgame in digital photography or am I just just missing something ?---everything I shoot seems to have the same depth of field no matter what f-stop I use.

dilloduck said:
I know I'm being lazy but is depth of field a whole different ballgame in digital photography or am I just just missing something ?---everything I shoot seems to have the same depth of field no matter what f-stop I use.

I've wondered that myself dillo. The user's manual to my Canon S50 is 181 pages long, and I didn't find anything in it about depth of field.

I used to sell high end photography equipment at this trendy store in Madison, Wisconsin, (long ago, pre-digital era), and learned quite a bit about cameras and photography. I know that the lower the f-stop, (bigger aperture opening), and a faster shutter speed, the narrower the depth of field. And inversely, the higher the f-stop, (smaller aperture opening), and a slower shutter speed, the wider the depth of field.

I have no idea whether or not this works on a digital camera. I have full manual capability on my Canon. I guess I'll just have to go out and shoot a couple pics at different settings to find out.

dilloduck said:

what type of camera are you using?

Pale Rider said:
I've wondered that myself dillo. The user's manual to my Canon S50 is 181 pages long, and I didn't find anything in it about depth of field.

I used to sell high end photography equipment at this trendy store in Madison, Wisconsin, (long ago, pre-digital era), and learned quite a bit about cameras and photography. I know that the lower the f-stop, (bigger aperture opening), and a faster shutter speed, the narrower the depth of field. And inversely, the higher the f-stop, (smaller aperture opening), and a slower shutter speed, the wider the depth of field.

I have no idea whether or not this works on a digital camera. I have full manual capability on my Canon. I guess I'll just have to go out and shoot a couple pics at different settings to find out.

my nikon has depth of field....i belive your cannon does as well....it is in one of those 181 pages.....i still prefer my 1983 nikon fm

Forum List

Back