Different Cultures Have Different Brains

I call it the 1984 Phenomenon. Namely your native Language and culture actually impact how you think and see the world. This isn't new in any sense of the word. Results on things like this have been around for 30+ years.

Did you know that our brain function is entirely different when we think about our own honesty versus when we think about another’s honesty? That’s if the “we” is American. For Chinese people their brains look identical when considering either.
Brain Imaging Studies Show Different Cultures Have Different Brains: Scientific American Podcast

They do not have different brains, they have different maps because of language, or different OSs.

Suppose we express that in a different way.

Different cultures cause different brain damage. :cuckoo: :lol:

How do we create a culture that doesn't cause brain damage.

When will people figure out that the Internet is altering the or creating the global culture. Kids with computers are going to get ideas into their heads from numerous sources at earlier ages.

psik

When I was young, the difference between the North/South accent was FAR different than today. Television and adopting the Midwestern accent has unified the nation. I expect the internet to do the same in the next 30 years.

Did you know that our brain function is entirely different when we think about our own honesty versus when we think about another’s honesty? That’s if the “we” is American. For Chinese people their brains look identical when considering either.
Brain Imaging Studies Show Different Cultures Have Different Brains: Scientific American Podcast
All that suggests is that Americans have a great capacity for self-delusion. Given how we live on credit chasing economic bubbles, I'm not surprised.

Not a new idea, people think based on their experiences and exposures which are governed by the locality that they were raised and live in. I seen this years ago when dealing with programs that were programmed by people in different countries. It is really interesting the various ways that people think about things. For instance, many Asian programmers will use double negatives for a check instead of a positive. I.e. - if x is not NOT equal to 5 then... that is the same statement as if x is equal to 5.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anaïs Nin

The brain is the same, the way we see the world different. Consider only the differences of opinion on usmb. Worldviews are made up, check out Ian Hacking's 'The Social Construction of What' or Nisbett's book below.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Geography-Thought-Asians-Westerners-Differently/dp/0743255356/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently...and Why (9780743255356): Richard Nisbett: Books[/ame]

"To say that truth is not out there is simply to say that where there are no sentences there is no truth, that sentences are elements of human languages, and that languages are human creations. The suggestion that truth is out there is a legacy of an age in which the world was seen as the creation of a being who had a language his own." Richard Rorty

Folks,

this argumentation is extremely dangerous. Now you´re following any obscure meanings with "Different cultures have different brains" thinkings. How far is it from this to "we have the better brains"? And then, say welcome to the "Herrenrasse" meanings. But then it might be too late. Stop now, wrong way!

Forum List

Back