Differences between Liberal and Conservative brain structure

RDD_1210

Forms his own opinions
May 13, 2010
Using data from MRI scans, researchers at the University College London found that self-described liberals have a larger anterior cingulate cortex--a gray matter of the brain associated with understanding complexity. Meanwhile, self-described conservatives are more likely to have a larger amygdala, an almond-shaped area that is associated with fear and anxiety.

Will President Obama and the House GOP ever agree? Science suggests no - Yahoo! News

Using data from MRI scans, researchers at the University College London found that self-described liberals have a larger anterior cingulate cortex--a gray matter of the brain associated with understanding complexity. Meanwhile, self-described conservatives are more likely to have a larger amygdala, an almond-shaped area that is associated with fear and anxiety.

Will President Obama and the House GOP ever agree? Science suggests no - Yahoo! News

More idiocy in the name of science. How stupid are you to even post this?

You obviously wouldn't understand the complexity of what I posted. I don't blame you though.

liberal_brain.jpg

conservative-republican-brain.jpg

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

You obviously wouldn't understand the complexity of what I posted. I don't blame you though.

Really?

Did you know that every single study that purported to prove something like this has been debunked by scientists? I particularly love this part of your link.

Observers will notice a familiar name on the report: Oscar-winning actor Colin Firth, who commissioned the report while serving as a guest host of the BBC Radio 4's Today program in London last year. (Neurological sources of stammering don't come into play.) The study, which was conducted with the help of 90 young adult volunteers, comes on the heels of other research that linked political beliefs to genetic differences between liberals and conservatives. Last year, a joint study by the Harvard and the University of California, San Diego, found there might actually be a so-called "liberal gene" that influences political leanings.
While the London study does find distinct differences between Democrats and Republicans, its authors caution that more research needs to be done on the subject. One unknown is whether people are simply born with their political beliefs or if our brains adjust to life experiences--which is a possibility, Kanai writes.
"It's very unlikely that actual political orientation is directly encoded in these brain regions," he said in a statement accompanying the study. "More work is needed to determine how these brain structures mediate the formation of political attitude."

Who do you think has more problems understanding the complexity of the links you post?

Me, who actually reads them, or you, who stops at the headlines?

Really?

Did you know that every single study that purported to prove something like this has been debunked by scientists? I particularly love this part of your link.

Observers will notice a familiar name on the report: Oscar-winning actor Colin Firth, who commissioned the report while serving as a guest host of the BBC Radio 4's Today program in London last year. (Neurological sources of stammering don't come into play.) The study, which was conducted with the help of 90 young adult volunteers, comes on the heels of other research that linked political beliefs to genetic differences between liberals and conservatives. Last year, a joint study by the Harvard and the University of California, San Diego, found there might actually be a so-called "liberal gene" that influences political leanings.
While the London study does find distinct differences between Democrats and Republicans, its authors caution that more research needs to be done on the subject. One unknown is whether people are simply born with their political beliefs or if our brains adjust to life experiences--which is a possibility, Kanai writes.
"It's very unlikely that actual political orientation is directly encoded in these brain regions," he said in a statement accompanying the study. "More work is needed to determine how these brain structures mediate the formation of political attitude."

Who do you think has more problems understanding the complexity of the links you post?

LOL, I love that you're getting so worked up over this.

What exactly is your issue with the quoted portion? That Colin Firth commissioned it?

Really?

What exactly is your issue with the quoted portion? That Colin Firth commissioned it?

i think it's the part where the lead researcher said, and i'm paraphrasing here, that the study doesn't mean shit. :thup:

at least, i found it mildly amusing

Really?

I always have an issue with junk science. I have an issue with people that say that vaccinations cause autism, or people that say that transmission lines cause cancer.

This study was based on a joke, and made claims without presenting any numbers. What do they mean by strong correlation? Where are the peer reviews?

Was your grandfather a proponent of genetic superiority of whites over blacks?

Really?

I always have an issue with junk science. I have an issue with people that say that vaccinations cause autism, or people that say that transmission lines cause cancer.

This study was based on a joke, and made claims without presenting any numbers. What do they mean by strong correlation? Where are the peer reviews?

So if you know this study is a joke why get so worked up over it? Time to lighten up perhaps.

So if you know this study is a joke why get so worked up over it? Time to lighten up perhaps.

Better question: why didn't you know this study was a joke?

You could have posted it in "Humor" rather than "Science and Technology" and saved some of us the trouble of reading this junk science crap.

Conservative philosophy is an appeal to rational reasoning; Liberal dogma (can't really call it a philosophy) is an appeal to base emotions like hatred, jealousy, demonization, suspicion, fearmongering, etc., and therefore it is a dysfunctional operating system. As such it needs "enablement" and finds that in a corrupt media which feeds it's dysfunction, while feeding on it. Publishing pseudo-scientific findings to increase the level of disrespect through ridicule toward fellow citizens too, is a case in point. Consider how juvenile that is.

Last edited:
President Obama and House Republicans may have narrowly averted a government shutdown last weekend, but as the two sides prepare to engage in another round of intra-party feuding over budget proposals, a new study suggests that basic brain science might stand in the way of bipartisanship.

Using data from MRI scans, researchers at the University College London found that self-described liberals have a larger anterior cingulate cortex--a gray matter of the brain associated with understanding complexity. Meanwhile, self-described conservatives are more likely to have a larger amygdala, an almond-shaped area that is associated with fear and anxiety

See: Will President Obama and the House GOP ever agree? Science suggests no - Yahoo! News

threads merged-del

Better question: why didn't you know this study was a joke?

You could have posted it in "Humor" rather than "Science and Technology" and saved some of us the trouble of reading this junk science crap.

Holy crap you loons get worked up at the slightest things. Simply awesome.

Even ASSUMING, which we know where that leads, that this were a REAL and functional study, it would be MEANINGLESS to us in the States.

The participants were from London. England and Europe do not have the same beliefs when it comes to " Conservative" and "Liberal" as the States.

Forum List

Back