Diet Kugal Recipe (sweet noodle side dish or dessert)

HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
8 ounces broad eggless noodles
8 ounces low fat cottage cheese
6 ounces no fat sour cream
1/3 cup soy milk
1/4 cup move over butter (imitation butter), melted
1/3 cup splenda imitation sugar
2 eggs, beaten if on a low cholesterol diet use egg beaters or just 1 egg
hand full of raisens and a handful of marachino cherries sliced in halves. Instructions:
Cook noodles in boiling water for 8-10 minutes dependingvon oackage instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
In a large bowl, mix the noodles with the cottage cheese, sour cream, soy milk, butter, imitation sugar and eggs then mix in the raisens and cherries.
Pour into a greased 4x8 inch high corningware pan.
Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degree Fahrenheit or until the top is brown.
Kugal is great served hot or cold, as a side dish or even a dessert snack.
This diet version can taste just as good as regular deli Kugal.
Experiment with baked chopped apple slices instead of cherries, ricotta instead cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of splenda instead of 1/3 cup and create your style dish.

Damn I haven't had Tsimmes in over 26 years, please share details if you can. :)

sounds yummy. I'll give it a try without the diet stuff though. lol

You mean all this time my Bubbie was leaving out the sweet potatoes and carrots?
She always made it as a dessert that way.
A pressure cooker would be good for this, thanks for the recipe!

I miss real Kishka

We make kasha varnishkes

2 large onions, sliced in rounds
2 to 3 tablespoons chicken fat
1 large egg slightly beaten
1 cup medium or coarse kasha
2 cups water or bouillon
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3/4 pound large or small bow tie-shaped noodles
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Last edited:
I haven't had good Kishka for a long time.
A deli near Boca Raton was the last real one, the veagan one my Sister in law brought to our Shabbos dinner doesn't count *L*

I haven't had good Kishka for a long time.
A deli near Boca Raton was the last real one, the veagan one my Sister in law brought to our Shabbos dinner doesn't count *L*

people deride kishka-----as a PEASANT FOOD-------very few people are willing to admit they LIKE IT (I haven't had any for the past-----40 years. ------I liked it 40 years ago). culinary snobbism is not confined to Ashkenazi jews-------it is UBIQUITOUS in the USA-------one has to know "pairings" which wine with which cheese------and which wine with fried pig skin --------the big time SPECIAL CHEESE is big time --------never say you like "American cheese" << I do.
The culinary snobbism is not confined to us-------my hubby was born in a shariah shit hole---------there is a kind of cooked clarified goat butter that-------they ALL CLAIM TO DESPISE-------samneh

Usually that's the food they offer guests they don't like.
Like being offered rotting tofu in Asia, or even Durian fruit.

Forum List

Back