did you ever try 'hog jowls' or 'pig cheeks' OR 'PIG JOWLS" if you like Bacon you'll love JOWLS

pismoe

Platinum Member
May 17, 2014
' pig FACE ' they are great and greezy . ---4 Delicious Recipes to Make with Pork Jowl --- I like them fried or baked at about 425 for 20 minutes and then flipped for another 10 minutes till brown and crisp . If you like BACON you should like 'jowl' even better . I just ate a pound of baked 'jowl' with a couple slices of bread and its good stuff .

' pig FACE ' they are great and greezy . ---4 Delicious Recipes to Make with Pork Jowl --- I like them fried or baked at about 425 for 20 minutes and then flipped for another 10 minutes till brown and crisp . If you like BACON you should like 'jowl' even better . I just ate a pound of baked 'jowl' with a couple slices of bread and its good stuff .

Barbacoa.....
Fantastic stuff when done right.
Flour or corn tortilla,onions,cilantro some chopped jalapeno and a squeeze of lime.
gallery_medium.jpg

The small mehican restaurants do it every weekend around here.

might be hard to find , talk to a butcher perhaps . Also , try SCRAPPLE , made from pig parts [scraps] and corn meal , seasoning and kinda like Pork Sausage and its Pennsylvania Dutch or Pennsylvania German . Comes in a small block of about a pound of cake and you slice and fry in a bit of butter or oil Compost .

might be hard to find , talk to a butcher perhaps . Also , try SCRAPPLE , made from pig parts [scraps] and corn meal , seasoning and kinda like Pork Sausage and its Pennsylvania Dutch or Pennsylvania German . Comes in a small block of about a pound of cake and you slice and fry in a bit of butter or oil Compost .
Thanks. I'll ask a butcher. If he doesn't have any, there's some Amish folk around here who like to barter. I've got some duck eggs to trade. Wish me luck!

Thanks. I'll ask a butcher. If he doesn't have any, there's some Amish folk around here who like to barter. I've got some duck eggs to trade. Wish me luck!

Why I love Texas.....
You can buy a cow head at your local mexican butcher shop if you're so inclined.
The traditional way to make it is to wrap it in banana leaves and bury it it in a pit full of hot coals and dirt and un earth it the next day.
These days ya wrap it in foil and wet burlap.
Cow-head-barbacoa-DSC9116.jpg

aa97e0_10558785dd824c1aabb03bd72e493af7~mv2.jpg

For Gods Sake NO!!!!!!
You're basically referring to head cheese,the southern version of scrapple.
It's nothing like head meat...excuse the head meat comment.

JOWL and SCRAPPLE is excellent EARLY and Authentic American food !! Pennsylvania DUTCH [deutch] or German . Use the scraps and Waste not and want not eh . And both are much , much better than 'lutefisk' eh . And then boiled or broiled 'finlander' patata sausage is pretty good stuff with ketchup or hot tamata sauce . But be careful as it will split from the natural casing if not watched as it cooks 'hweGo??

and NO , Real SCRAPPLE is made of scraps of pig meat , ground up boiled and mixed with corn meal or other grain meal , seasonings and formed into cakes or small blocks as it cools down . After that you cut it up into quarter - half inch thick slices and fry in butter or oil 'hweGO .