Did you ever fall for the "scientific miracles in the Qur'an" thing?

Not Flat that was man who thought that.
The bible says circle round.
A round circle (even one with four corners on it like in the Bible) would still be flat, yes?

Firmament- not a solid dome, also mans interpretation.
"And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters." - Genesis 1:6

Firmamentum, firmamenti (n): Support, prop.

God put a big prop between the waters on Earth and the waters above Earth. Says so right there.

A round circle (even one with four corners on it like in the Bible) would still be flat, yes?

"And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters." - Genesis 1:6

God put a big prop between the waters on Earth and the waters above Earth. Says so right there.

the bible was not written in Latin. Scriptural writings ----from the bible to the Gita to Beowulf-----are poetry----not physics text books

Is there a protective layer or not?
The Bible and Science says there is.
Science now calls it the ozone layer.

The Quran is full of bunk, but its so obscure and short on details, it is difficult to clarify it.. I concluded that what the Quran actually says is, the sun orbits the flat earth in a semi circle and is reset every dawn. What is more I can prove it with a hadith that clearly says so.

Since when has circles every had corners?
Since Isaiah 11:12. :p

the bible was not written in Latin. Scriptural writings ----from the bible to the Gita to Beowulf-----are poetry----not physics text books
The Vulgate was. Firmament is the Anglicization of firmamentum, which is the word Jerome used to translate stereoma, which is the Septuagint's translation of the original Hebrew term raqia.

I don't think the ozone layer is an immovable propr or support separating the waters above it from the oceans.

The Vulgate was. Firmament is the Anglicization of firmamentum, which is the word Jerome used to translate stereoma, which is the Septuagint's translation of the original Hebrew term raqia.

I don't think the ozone layer is an immovable propr or support separating the waters above it from the oceans.

Isaiah 11;!2 has nothing to do with the circle of the earth.
You are misinterpreting that 2nd one.

I don't think that the ozone layer is an immovable propr or support separating the waters above it from the oceans either.

The Quran is full of bunk, but its so obscure and short on details, it is difficult to clarify it.. I concluded that what the Quran actually says is, the sun orbits the flat earth in a semi circle and is reset every dawn. What is more I can prove it with a hadith that clearly says so.

The koran has a bit less in the field of "science" than does the
Kama sudtra------but more than Beowulf. HOWERVER in terms of sublime Literature-----the Odyssey bests all three

Isaiah 11;!2 has nothing to do with the circle of the earth.
You are misinterpreting that 2nd one.

I don't think that the ozone layer is an immovable propr or support separating the waters above it from the oceans either.

I think that any attempt to try to so minutely INTERPRET words in poetic scriptural writings-----requires the original-----
BUT is not a worthwhile exercise anyway

The Bible... that depicts Earth as a flat square covered by a solid dome that keeps the water in the sky from crashing down on us?

>>
The Earth Is Round
earth.jpg

The Bible indicates that the earth is round. Consider Isaiah 40:22 which mentions the “circle of the earth.” This description is certainly fitting—particularly when the earth is viewed from space; the earth always appears as a circle since it is round.

Another verse that indicates the spherical nature of our planet is Job 26:10. This verse teaches that God has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness. This boundary between light and darkness (day and night) is called the “terminator” since the light stops or “terminates” there. Someone standing on the terminator would be experiencing either a sunrise or a sunset; they are going from day to night or from night to day. The terminator is always a circle, because the earth is round.

One of the great delights of observing the moon through a small telescope is to look at its terminator, especially during the first or third quarter phases when the terminator is directly down the middle of the moon. The craters are most easily seen at this boundary since the sun is at a low angle and casts very long shadows there. The moon looks particularly three-dimensional when viewed through a telescope during these phases; it is clear that the moon is a sphere—not a flat disk (see photo below).

moon.jpg

For the earth, the terminator occurs not on a cratered rocky surface, but primarily on water (since the earth’s surface is 70 percent water). Job 26:10 suggests a “God’s eye” view of the earth. This biblical passage would be nonsense if the earth were flat, since there would be no true terminator; there is no line to “step over” that separates the day from night on a flat surface. Either it is day everywhere or night everywhere on a hypothetical “flat earth.” However, the earth does indeed have a boundary between light and darkness which is always a circle since the earth is round.

Curiously, many astronomy textbooks credit Pythagoras (c. 570–500 B.C.) with being the first person to assert that the earth is round.1 However, the biblical passages are older than this. Isaiah is generally acknowledged to have been written in the 700s B.C. and Job is thought to have been written around 2000 B.C. The secular astronomers before the time of Pythagoras must have thought the Bible was wrong about its teaching of a round earth, yet the Bible was exactly right. It was the secular science of the day that needed to be corrected.<<

Forum List

Back