Did we really have to nuke Japan?

Did we have to nuke Japan?

• Total voters
That's it? You claim some casualty estimate of 46,000 and when I post legit sources that say you are a fool you simply call all those who authored the numbers propagandists? Perhaps you should look at the names attached to the numbers I posted and compare them to your source (which you have yet to post).
Think about conditions in Japan in mid 1945. If you can, you would know they had no ability to inflict 500k casualties on the worlds most powerful military.

Uh-huh. So I can believe your unposted source or the virtual "1945 Who's Who America" I posted in support of the 500,000 number. The question is: why in the face of facts to you continue to bash Truman and America? Does your membership in The Loony Leftist Society require it? Why do all Leftists hate America like it's your job?
I love America more than most.
Do you not recognize propaganda when you see it? Those casualty rates are exponential higher than any we experienced during the war. All lies.

That's it? You claim some casualty estimate of 46,000 and when I post legit sources that say you are a fool you simply call all those who authored the numbers propagandists? Perhaps you should look at the names attached to the numbers I posted and compare them to your source (which you have yet to post).
Think about conditions in Japan in mid 1945. If you can, you would know they had no ability to inflict 500k casualties on the worlds most powerful military.

Uh-huh. So I can believe your unposted source or the virtual "1945 Who's Who America" I posted in support of the 500,000 number. The question is: why in the face of facts to you continue to bash Truman and America? Does your membership in The Loony Leftist Society require it? Why do all Leftists hate America like it's your job?

What absolute crap.

Look- as a proud 'liberal'- I have been in this thread arguing against gipper from the beginning- so let me just say you are just full of crap in your claims.

FDR was a 'leftist'- Truman was a 'leftist'- I am a 'leftist'- saying we all hate America is absurd- and stupid as when someone says all Conservatives are racists or all Conservatives are fascists- it is stupid- and ignorant.

I will say this again- this is monday morning quarterbacking 60 years after the fact. America was convinced that we needed an unconditional surrender from Japan and was prepared to invade- and suffer horrific casualties. Dropping atomic bombs seemed at the time to be logical alternatives- and we do not know for certain how anything would have turned out if we didn't.

We do know that Japan went from being one of the most imperialistic and jingoistic nations prior to the war, to being a vibrant democracy and ally today. We know what we did achieved both our short term and long term goals.

Well then, I stand corrected and I agree with and appreciate your thoughtful, rational posts on this subject. It's not libs I have a prob with here but rather leftists. You know ... those so wedded to their ideology that they hate America because we don't see things their way.
Haters gotta hate.

Well then call them that- there is no distinction between 'leftists' and 'liberals'- to me its like the guy who says he is justified calling blacks he disagrees with (a poster on this board) n*ggers- because he only calls blacks that when they deserve it.

There are as many close minded conservatives who are idiotic- good look at Protectionist- and who hate Americans because he disagrees with them as there are liberals who are idiotic- pisses me off when there are such broad generalizations.

Disagreeing with Truman's dropping of the A bombs has nothing to do with one's political persuasion or love of country. It has to do with morality and the truth.

What is strange is how many on the right defend Truman, yet he was a big gov progressive statist.

The Japanese government was putting out feelers?

You still have not came up with a good Goggle answer, have you. The Japanese would never of surrendered, not after the Fire Bombing in Tokyo, not after the lost of Okinawa, funny how the Japanese never quit shooting, never quit Hari Kari, funny how so many fought to the death, took not one but two Nuclear attacks, and even then it was pretty rough for them to Surrender.

You know what, why do I get the feeling you don't even KNOW any Japanese people. But you read a book once.
My daughter is Japanese, makes my mother in-law Japanese, that makes you about the dumbest person here? Yes?

So joeb131 quotes and links a page that speaks of Eisenhower, only problem the quote does not exist on that page or any page near the one referenced. joebb131 at the same time claims Google searches are fast and best (insert foot in mouth).

Now joeb131 knows better to not respond with links to lies.

You learn fast, yes? Or is it you are still busy doing the fast Google search.

So now joeb131 vaguely claims the Japanese Government sought a surrender before Nagasaki.

How about it, still got nothing joeb131, how about another personal insult, see if you can come up one that actually makes someone around here chuckle.

This has all been done. Japan and the US were negotiating peace even as Japanese ships were steaming to Pearl Harbor to bomb us. The peace feelers she sent to the USSR were an attempt to set up a Japanese-USSR alliance. If Japan wanted peace she had but to contact the US.

Well, no, not really. The USSR had no reason to ally with Japan. they were hoping for a peace deal that allowed them to keep some of their gains in China.

Guide to Decision Part I
  • Intercepted cables showed Japan responding positively to a U.S. offer of a surrender based on the "Atlantic Charter" as put forward in an official July 21, 1945 American radio broadcast. The key clause of the Charter promised that every nation could choose its own form of government (which would have allowed Japan to keep its Emperor).

Yeah, when Tojo was replaced as Prime Minister.

I mean, I'm really not talking to you anymore, because you're like a fucking crazy person.

Tojo was not replaced in July of 1945.

You stated specifically when Tojo resigned, that was in the summer of 1944, supposedly through Germany, now you link to the history of the summer of 1945? Zero reference to Tojo.

While, at least you are trying but its plain to see that Joeb131 is trying to figure it out after Joeb131 runs his mouth (I am assuming you are a man, just so you know I am a man as well, not a girl like you think, my avatar is of a record label, not the movie!).

You stated specifically when Tojo resigned, that was in the summer of 1944, supposedly through Germany, now you link to the history of the summer of 1945? Zero reference to Tojo.

While, at least you are trying but its plain to see that Joeb131 is trying to figure it out after Joeb131 runs his mouth (I am assuming you are a man, just so you know I am a man as well, not a girl like you think, my avatar is of a record label, not the movie!).

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I was clear I wasn't talking to you anymore because you're a fucking crazy person.

I'm sorry you don't get that, but until you get back on the anti-crazy pills, I'm really not talking to you anymore.

My daughter is Japanese, makes my mother in-law Japanese, that makes you about the dumbest person here? Yes?

Oooookay, this just got weird. I'm done
Where is your quote, cherry picker? Give up on the USMB rules??

You stated I know, zero Japanese. Must suck to be wrong, even while you try to flame, yes?

No, it sucks to try to have a rational conversation with someone who got internet access as part of their therapy.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I was clear I wasn't talking to you anymore because you're a fucking crazy person.

I'm sorry you don't get that, but until you get back on the anti-crazy pills, I'm really not talking to you anymore.
Point is, again you screwed up your super fast Google search, you stated the time period when Tojo resigned in 1944, not 1945.

You can run from all your posts and attack me, that just confirms you are fuming at the keyboard.

Point is, again you screwed up your super fast Google search, you stated the time period when Tojo resigned in 1944, not 1945.

You can run from all your posts and attack me, that just confirms you are fuming at the keyboard.

NO, I just realized you went completely off the rails and aren't even following the conversation anymore.

Elektra, I'm moved on to openly mocking you at this point.
Oh, I am so sorry, to point out repeatedly that you do not know what you are talking about. Mocking, that just sucks for me, mocking is making fun of someone in cruel way. I wonder if you can get away with being cruel here.

That is what mocking is, right, a cruel way of making fun of someone. Just making sure you know what you are doing cause you keep getting it wrong in your posts that are on topic.

Just so you know, mocking could be against the USMB rules.

I am not sure I can take mocking, I mean it really hurts when anonymous fools on the internet call my a crazy lady, now open mocking.

Boy, this will really make my day bad.

I could ignore you, but then I would not be able to point out all you feeble attempts to have Google save your pathetic posts.

Maybe you will be better at openly mocking, so go ahead, you got my okay to openly mock me.

idiot

Okay, for rational people now.

Was the Bombing of Hiroshima Necessary Three Myths Debunked TakePart

Much has been made of the Japanese kamikaze spirit, but by early summer, Emperor Hirohito was already making overtures to surrender -- weeks before the bombing of Hiroshima.

In a cable intercepted on July 12, 1945, Hirohito revealed that he was ready to end the war on the condition that the monarchy be granted immunity from war crimes -- conditions which the U.S. only accepted after dropping two atomic bombs on the country.

I
n Truman’s own journal he called the message a “telegram from Jap Emperor asking for peace.” And years later, in his book Secret Surrender, Secretary of State John Foster Dulles said he had relayed a similar message.

"On July 20, 1945, under instructions from Washington, I went to the Potsdam Conference and reported there to Secretary [of War] Stimson on what I had learned from Tokyo – they desired to surrender if they could retain the Emperor and their constitution as a basis for maintaining discipline and order in Japan after the devastating news of surrender became known to the Japanese people.’"

Disagreeing with Truman's dropping of the A bombs has nothing to do with one's political persuasion or love of country. It has to do with morality and the truth.

What is strange is how many on the right defend Truman, yet he was a big gov progressive statist.

Horse crap. There is nothing moral or honest about twisting the truth to satisfy your hate for Truman or America.

They really DID mean to fight to the last man, woman, and child...!

Don't be stupid.
Yes, to the last child, ]

I thought I told you not to be stupid. Now, try actually thinking about it for a second.
You thought? Stretching the truth again, are you!

There you go again being stupid.
Cause all you know is stupid? You seem to find a lot of stupid, maybe you are a stupid magnet.

Was the atomic bombing of Japan justifiable
The Japanese government plans a fanatical defence of Japan's home islands to the last man, woman and child

In April 1945, the Japanese Suzuki government had prepared a war policy called Ketsugo which was a refinement of the Shosango victory plan for the defence of the home islands to the last man. These plans would prepare the Japanese people psychologically to die as a nation in defence of their homeland. Even children, including girls, would be trained to use makeshift lethal weapons, and exhorted to sacrifice themselves by killing an American invader. To implement this policy of training children to kill, soldiers attended Japanese schools and trained even small children in the use of weapons such as bamboo spears.

Maybe that's the morality and truth rising above political persuasion?

Forum List

Back