Did we really have to nuke Japan?

Did we have to nuke Japan?

• Total voters
We had plenty of ships to spare? That means AMERICAN LIVES!!

You literally stated we had PLENTY OF AMERICAN LIVES TO SPARE!

On the wrongs side of the war, you are.

That's what fighting wars is all about. How willing are you to throw away lives in order to acheive your goals.

We could have had peace with Japan in 1944. We didn't want that. We wanted Japan to know damned well it had been defeated and we were willing to throw away American, Japanese, and Chinese lives to do it.
If by "we" you mean Truman and his inner circle, okay.
If the American people knew Japan offered to surrender, they would have demanded it be accepted.

And that was the point. By 1945, Americans were sick of World War II. They were sick of drafts, they were sick of rationing. they were sick of the men who would come by the house to inform you Little Johnny was coming home in a box. Or not coming home at all.

The reason why Okinawa was such a PR disaster was that it was the first time the folks back home got to see what a dead soldier looked like.

We had plenty of ships to spare? That means AMERICAN LIVES!!

You literally stated we had PLENTY OF AMERICAN LIVES TO SPARE!

On the wrongs side of the war, you are.

That's what fighting wars is all about. How willing are you to throw away lives in order to acheive your goals.

We could have had peace with Japan in 1944. We didn't want that. We wanted Japan to know damned well it had been defeated and we were willing to throw away American, Japanese, and Chinese lives to do it.
If by "we" you mean Truman and his inner circle, okay.
If the American people knew Japan offered to surrender, they would have demanded it be accepted.

And that was the point. By 1945, Americans were sick of World War II. They were sick of drafts, they were sick of rationing. they were sick of the men who would come by the house to inform you Little Johnny was coming home in a box. Or not coming home at all.

The reason why Okinawa was such a PR disaster was that it was the first time the folks back home got to see what a dead soldier looked like.
Okinawa began at about the time the war in Europe was ending. It got bad PR because over 12,000 Americans were killed and another 38,000 wounded. This was not the first time Americans got to see what a dead soldier looked like. That is like saying no one was paying attention during the entire war in Europe. That is just ridiculous. What they were not accustomed to seeing were so many casualties in such a short amount of time. Okinawa came on the heels of Iwo Jima which cost 7,000 killed in action and 20,000 wounded. America was dealing with almost 5,000 killed and wounded every week from the time Iwo Jima began at the end of February until Okinawa ended at the end of June.

They really DID mean to fight to the last man, woman, and child...!

Don't be stupid.
Yes, to the last child, if you read the posts, one side of this argument actually posts facts, not feelings.

Preparations for Invasion of Japan World War II Database

Perhaps the eeriest fact was that after the war the United States discovered even children were trained to become suicide bombers when necessarily, strapping explosives around their torsos and rolling under the treads of American tanks. "This was the enemy the Pentagon had learned to fear and hate", said Dan van der Vat, "a country of fanatics dedicated to hara-kiri, determined to slay as many invaders as possible as they went down fighting"

We could not of had peace in 1944.

The Emperor never sought peace.

The Military never sought peace.

If you honestly believe that we had a chance in 1944, show us how. Who, when, and where?

Best place to actually base this on history is to search Dulles, Sweden, Japanese Surrender.

Do you actually know the story of the Japanese surrender after Nagasaki? It is a great story, you can actually read that story without upsetting your other "ideas" of what happened in WW II.

A chance for peace in 1944?

Yeah, when Tojo was replaced as Prime Minister.

I mean, I'm really not talking to you anymore, because you're like a fucking crazy person.
Obviously, you are not so fast with Google, as you brag. Answers just can not be found by you.

When Tojo was replaced? Right, Tojo was replaced because Japan was losing the war, specifically Saipan in the Mariana Islands.

18 July of 1944, Tojo resigned. I believe the revisionists themselves would not make a claim such as yours, that there was an attempt at surrender, associated with the replacement of Tojo.

Quick to Google in the past, I imagine you learned your lesson, best to be vague and just post your opinion without a link.

I am sure if you found one, it would be here, right? A link to support your claim.

Okinawa began at about the time the war in Europe was ending. It got bad PR because over 12,000 Americans were killed and another 38,000 wounded. This was not the first time Americans got to see what a dead soldier looked like. That is like saying no one was paying attention during the entire war in Europe. That is just ridiculous. What they were not accustomed to seeing were so many casualties in such a short amount of time. Okinawa came on the heels of Iwo Jima which cost 7,000 killed in action and 20,000 wounded. America was dealing with almost 5,000 killed and wounded every week from the time Iwo Jima began at the end of February until Okinawa ended at the end of June.

It was the first time that pictures of dead Americans were published in the press, that was the point. Up until that point, the Government was censoring the shit out of everything, hiding things like the 700 guys who got killed during a practice excercise for D-Day because some German torpedo boats slipped past their protection.

Point was, the Japanese government was putting out feelers for peace long before we dropped the bomb. We dropped these horrible weapons anyway.

I never said that. I did state that the US military projected US deaths at 46k, if we invaded...

3 months earlier we suffered nearly 7000 dead and over 19,000 wounded at Iwo Jima. Anyone now claiming that we would have suffered "only" 46,000 casualties had we invaded Japan's home islands is desperately trying to win an argument he can't.

Operation Downfall - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
  • In a letter sent to Gen. Curtis LeMay from Gen. Lauris Norstad, when LeMay assumed command of the B-29 force on Guam, Norstad told LeMay that if an invasion took place, it would cost the US "half a million" dead.
  • In a study done by the Joint Chiefs of Staff in April, the figures of 7.45 casualties/1,000 man-days and 1.78 fatalities/1,000 man-days were developed. This implied that a 90-day Olympic campaign would cost 456,000 casualties, including 109,000 dead or missing. If Coronet took another 90 days, the combined cost would be 1,200,000 casualties, with 267,000 fatalities.
  • A study done by Adm. Nimitz's staff in May estimated 49,000 U.S casualties in the first 30 days, including 5,000 at sea. A study done by General MacArthur's staff in June estimated 23,000 US casualties in the first 30 days and 125,000 after 120 days. When these figures were questioned by General Marshall, MacArthur submitted a revised estimate of 105,000, in part by deducting wounded men able to return to duty.
  • In a conference with President Truman on June 18, Marshall, taking the Battle of Luzon as the best model for Olympic, thought the Americans would suffer 31,000 casualties in the first 30 days (and ultimately 20% of Japanese casualties, which implied a total of 70,000 casualties). Adm. Leahy, more impressed by the Battle of Okinawa, thought the American forces would suffer a 35% casualty rate (implying an ultimate toll of 268,000). Admiral King thought that casualties in the first 30 days would fall between Luzon and Okinawa, i.e., between 31,000 and 41,000. Of these estimates, only Nimitz's included losses of the forces at sea, though kamikazes had inflicted 1.78 fatalities per kamikaze pilot in the Battle of Okinawa, and troop transports off Kyūshū would have been much more exposed.
  • A study done for Secretary of War Henry Stimson's staff by William Shockley estimated that conquering Japan would cost 1.7–4 million American casualties, including 400,000–800,000 fatalities, and five to ten million Japanese fatalities. The key assumption was large-scale participation by civilians in the defense of Japan.
Outside the government, well-informed civilians were also making guesses. Kyle Palmer, war correspondent for the Los Angeles Times, said half a million to a million Americans would die by the end of the war. Herbert Hoover, in a memorandums submitted to Truman and Stimson, also estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 fatalities, and those were believed to be conservative estimates; but it is not known if Hoover discussed these specific figures in his meetings with Truman. The chief of the Army Operations division thought them "entirely too high" under "our present plan of campaign."
Do you not recognize propaganda when you see it? Those casualty rates are exponential higher than any we experienced during the war. All lies.

That's it? You claim some casualty estimate of 46,000 and when I post legit sources that say you are a fool you simply call all those who authored the numbers propagandists? Perhaps you should look at the names attached to the numbers I posted and compare them to your source (which you have yet to post).
Think about conditions in Japan in mid 1945. If you can, you would know they had no ability to inflict 500k casualties on the worlds most powerful military.

Uh-huh. So I can believe your unposted source or the virtual "1945 Who's Who America" I posted in support of the 500,000 number. The question is: why in the face of facts to you continue to bash Truman and America? Does your membership in The Loony Leftist Society require it? Why do all Leftists hate America like it's your job?
I love America more than most. I do know that American pols lie and I hate lying and I am the opposite of a leftist.
Let's see...the Japanese people who were starving were going to inflict 500k casualties on a battle hardened US military who controlled air and sea, with pitchforks.

Stop believing in fairy tales and lying progressive statists.

Last edited:
3 months earlier we suffered nearly 7000 dead and over 19,000 wounded at Iwo Jima. Anyone now claiming that we would have suffered "only" 46,000 casualties had we invaded Japan's home islands is desperately trying to win an argument he can't.

• In a letter sent to Gen. Curtis LeMay from Gen. Lauris Norstad, when LeMay assumed command of the B-29 force on Guam, Norstad told LeMay that if an invasion took place, it would cost the US "half a million" dead.
  • In a study done by the Joint Chiefs of Staff in April, the figures of 7.45 casualties/1,000 man-days and 1.78 fatalities/1,000 man-days were developed. This implied that a 90-day Olympic campaign would cost 456,000 casualties, including 109,000 dead or missing. If Coronet took another 90 days, the combined cost would be 1,200,000 casualties, with 267,000 fatalities.
  • A study done by Adm. Nimitz's staff in May estimated 49,000 U.S casualties in the first 30 days, including 5,000 at sea. A study done by General MacArthur's staff in June estimated 23,000 US casualties in the first 30 days and 125,000 after 120 days. When these figures were questioned by General Marshall, MacArthur submitted a revised estimate of 105,000, in part by deducting wounded men able to return to duty.
  • In a conference with President Truman on June 18, Marshall, taking the Battle of Luzon as the best model for Olympic, thought the Americans would suffer 31,000 casualties in the first 30 days (and ultimately 20% of Japanese casualties, which implied a total of 70,000 casualties). Adm. Leahy, more impressed by the Battle of Okinawa, thought the American forces would suffer a 35% casualty rate (implying an ultimate toll of 268,000). Admiral King thought that casualties in the first 30 days would fall between Luzon and Okinawa, i.e., between 31,000 and 41,000. Of these estimates, only Nimitz's included losses of the forces at sea, though kamikazes had inflicted 1.78 fatalities per kamikaze pilot in the Battle of Okinawa, and troop transports off Kyūshū would have been much more exposed.
  • A study done for Secretary of War Henry Stimson's staff by William Shockley estimated that conquering Japan would cost 1.7–4 million American casualties, including 400,000–800,000 fatalities, and five to ten million Japanese fatalities. The key assumption was large-scale participation by civilians in the defense of Japan.
Outside the government, well-informed civilians were also making guesses. Kyle Palmer, war correspondent for the Los Angeles Times, said half a million to a million Americans would die by the end of the war. Herbert Hoover, in a memorandums submitted to Truman and Stimson, also estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 fatalities, and those were believed to be conservative estimates; but it is not known if Hoover discussed these specific figures in his meetings with Truman. The chief of the Army Operations division thought them "entirely too high" under "our present plan of campaign."
Do you not recognize propaganda when you see it? Those casualty rates are exponential higher than any we experienced during the war. All lies.

That's it? You claim some casualty estimate of 46,000 and when I post legit sources that say you are a fool you simply call all those who authored the numbers propagandists? Perhaps you should look at the names attached to the numbers I posted and compare them to your source (which you have yet to post).
Think about conditions in Japan in mid 1945. If you can, you would know they had no ability to inflict 500k casualties on the worlds most powerful military.

Uh-huh. So I can believe your unposted source or the virtual "1945 Who's Who America" I posted in support of the 500,000 number. The question is: why in the face of facts to you continue to bash Truman and America? Does your membership in The Loony Leftist Society require it? Why do all Leftists hate America like it's your job?

I love America more than most. I do know that American pols lie and I hate lying and I am the opposite of a leftist.
Let's see...the Japanese people who were starving were going to inflict 500k casualties on a battle hardened US military
who controlled air and sea, with pitchforks.

Stop believing in fairy tales and lying progressive statists.

It was the first time that pictures of dead Americans were published in the press, that was the point. Up until that point, the Government was censoring the shit out of everything, hiding things like the 700 guys who got killed during a practice excercise for D-Day because some German torpedo boats slipped past their protection.

Point was, the Japanese government was putting out feelers for peace long before we dropped the bomb. We dropped these horrible weapons anyway.
It is true the US Gov was indeed censoring photo's but Okinawa was not the first time a photo of a dead American was published. A full paged photo of three dead Americans at Buna was published in TIME magazine 1943.

time.com/3524493/the-photo-that-won-world-war-ii-dead-americans-at-buna-beach-1943/

On these boards It sounds like the Japanse were falling all over themselves trying to surrender. Japanese military were so looking forward to the invasion they had set up beach chairs and had snacks ready for the American invaders.

The first pictures of American dead were published much earlier. they were from the battle of Buna early in the war, Dead GI's lying on the beach near Buna station, New Guinea.I strongly suspect from the 32nd division. The beach was called maggot beach. At that time it was pretty hard to hide things, even errors, but then people were not viewing the war as a political board game to enhance their political views. Today we have to paint everything with a political brush, even going back seventy years hoping to find some usable political fodder.

The Japanese government was putting out feelers?

You still have not came up with a good Goggle answer, have you. The Japanese would never of surrendered, not after the Fire Bombing in Tokyo, not after the lost of Okinawa, funny how the Japanese never quit shooting, never quit Hari Kari, funny how so many fought to the death, took not one but two Nuclear attacks, and even then it was pretty rough for them to Surrender.

The Japanese Government? The Diet? The Prime Minister? Any text of the conversations? Any photos of the messages?

Tojo never attempted to surrender.

The Japanese Supreme command, never tried to surrender.

At any time the Japanese could of surrendered, laid down its weapons, and stopped killing people, but they never did.

How about some of those fast Google searches, I am sure you must of tried to come up with something better than, "The Japanese Government tried to surrender".

The Japanese government was the Military, they were in control, them and a couple of old families, the Diet, the Supreme council, so quit being vague.

Tell us who you are talking about, are you talking about the Emperor, come on, spill the beans, give us dates, give us names.

Was it Dulles in Sweden? Are you speaking of the Palace Revolt? Tojo and Germany? The Ambassador? The Prime Ministers? There were a few Prime Ministers, yes?

I don't think Truman ever thought of the bombing as an immoral act. After all those bombings were just the culmination of destroying Japanese cities by conventional bombs.
So if Truman did not think it immoral, well then it can't be immoral. Is that your position?.

I was responding to your claim:
Truman made up the lie about 500k casualties ....., in an effort to justify the immoral act..

You claimed that Truman was attempting to justify an 'immoral act'- my point is that I do not believe that Truman thought it was an immoral act- and therefore had no reason to justify it.
Okay...but my point is he knew it was immoral and chose to lie in an effort to justify it and dupe Americans.

Okay- so you are offering your opinion that Truman believed the same thing, but chose to lie to Americans- most of whom had no problem with Japanese being incinerated by a bomb at that point if they thought it would save one American GI life.
If our gov told the truth and showed pics of the damage and victims, Americans would have been apalled.

That really applied to every single battle we took part in except Pearl Harbor.

IF our government had not censored photo's of the D-Day invasion- Americans would have been appalled.
IF our government had not censored photo's of Iwo Jima- Americans would have been appalled.
Heck- our government even censored photo's of concentration camps- because of concerns on how Americans would react.

I agree- Americans would recoil at the real images of the tragedy of war- look at the uncensored photo's of the Civil War.

But in general- Americans were fine with killing Japanese civilians in 1945- doesn't make it right- but I think it is BS to claim that Truman was concerned about how Americans would view the deaths- Americans were sick of receiving telegrams about their sons dieing and would have accepted almost anything to a) defeat Japan and b) reduce the number of Americans dying to accomplish that.

I love America more than most.
I never said that. I did state that the US military projected US deaths at 46k, if we invaded...

What absolute crap.

Look- as a proud 'liberal'- I have been in this thread arguing against gipper from the beginning- so let me just say you are just full of crap in your claims.

FDR was a 'leftist'- Truman was a 'leftist'- I am a 'leftist'- saying we all hate America is absurd- and stupid as when someone says all Conservatives are racists or all Conservatives are fascists- it is stupid- and ignorant.

I will say this again- this is monday morning quarterbacking 60 years after the fact. America was convinced that we needed an unconditional surrender from Japan and was prepared to invade- and suffer horrific casualties. Dropping atomic bombs seemed at the time to be logical alternatives- and we do not know for certain how anything would have turned out if we didn't.

We do know that Japan went from being one of the most imperialistic and jingoistic nations prior to the war, to being a vibrant democracy and ally today. We know what we did achieved both our short term and long term goals.

I asked for a link to that source before- and I would sincerely like to review any information you have on previous Japanese peace offers.

I love America more than most.

What absolute crap.

Look- as a proud 'liberal'- I have been in this thread arguing against gipper from the beginning- so let me just say you are just full of crap in your claims.

FDR was a 'leftist'- Truman was a 'leftist'- I am a 'leftist'- saying we all hate America is absurd- and stupid as when someone says all Conservatives are racists or all Conservatives are fascists- it is stupid- and ignorant.

I will say this again- this is monday morning quarterbacking 60 years after the fact. America was convinced that we needed an unconditional surrender from Japan and was prepared to invade- and suffer horrific casualties. Dropping atomic bombs seemed at the time to be logical alternatives- and we do not know for certain how anything would have turned out if we didn't.

We do know that Japan went from being one of the most imperialistic and jingoistic nations prior to the war, to being a vibrant democracy and ally today. We know what we did achieved both our short term and long term goals.

Well then, I stand corrected and I agree with and appreciate your thoughtful, rational posts on this subject. It's not libs I have a prob with here but rather leftists. You know ... those so wedded to their ideology that they hate America because we don't see things their way.
Haters gotta hate.

The Japanese government was putting out feelers?

You still have not came up with a good Goggle answer, have you. The Japanese would never of surrendered, not after the Fire Bombing in Tokyo, not after the lost of Okinawa, funny how the Japanese never quit shooting, never quit Hari Kari, funny how so many fought to the death, took not one but two Nuclear attacks, and even then it was pretty rough for them to Surrender.

You know what, why do I get the feeling you don't even KNOW any Japanese people. But you read a book once.

I asked for a link to that source before- and I would sincerely like to review any information you have on previous Japanese peace offers.

Here you go... but don't tell Elektra...It's from the internet and she has "books">

Guide to Decision Part I

• Intercepted cables on July 12-13 showed Japan's Emperor had intervened to attempt to end the war. (See pp. 232-233, Chapter 18) Many other "peace feelers" had preceded this move. (See Chapter 2)

• Intercepted cables showed Japan responding positively to a U.S. offer of a surrender based on the "Atlantic Charter" as put forward in an official July 21, 1945 American radio broadcast. The key clause of the Charter promised that every nation could choose its own form of government (which would have allowed Japan to keep its Emperor).
    The broadcast was allowed to stand with Presidential sanction, but U.S. officials chose thereafter to ignore this indication of Japan's willingness to surrender.

This has all been done. Japan and the US were negotiating peace even as Japanese ships were steaming to Pearl Harbor to bomb us. The peace feelers she sent to the USSR were an attempt to set up a Japanese-USSR alliance. If Japan wanted peace she had but to contact the US.

Here you go... but don't tell Elektra...It's from the internet and she has "books">

Guide to Decision Part I

• Intercepted cables on July 12-13 showed Japan's Emperor had intervened to attempt to end the war. (See pp. 232-233, Chapter 18) Many other "peace feelers" had preceded this move. (See Chapter 2)

• Intercepted cables showed Japan responding positively to a U.S. offer of a surrender based on the "Atlantic Charter" as put forward in an official July 21, 1945 American radio broadcast. The key clause of the Charter promised that every nation could choose its own form of government (which would have allowed Japan to keep its Emperor).
    The broadcast was allowed to stand with Presidential sanction, but U.S. officials chose thereafter to ignore this indication of Japan's willingness to surrender.

A link to a blog?

How about a link to an actual source?

What intercepted cables? 'what many other peace feelers'?

July 21 1945?
July 21, 1945 –
The U.S. broadcasts an offer of unconditional surrender to Japan based loosely upon the Atlantic Charter. Japan does not respond to this offer directly. Rather, on July 25, Americans intercept a Japanese message sent to Moscow that reads in part: “The fact that the Americans alluded to the Atlantic Charter is particularly worthy of attention at this time. It is impossible to accept an unconditional surrender under any circumstances, but we would like to communicate to the other party through appropriate channels that we have no objection to a peace based on the Atlantic Charter.” Meanwhile, a kaiten from a Japanese submarine sinks the transport ship Marathon.

So Japan signaled that it would never unconditionally surrender- which the United States broadcast of 7/21/45 was about.

This is your smoking gun?

I would be glad to read actual sources but the closest you have come that I can somewhat verify is the July 21 1945 cable.

Here is what Japan could have done: it could have surrendered- that would have caught FDR's attention much better than a vague cable to the Soviet Union.

Forum List

Back