Did we ever have a President in office - without a Vice President?

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
I heard this on televsison last night. If I had heard it before I sure as hell did not remember it. What does this mean? Nuttin! I just found it interesting. :eusa_whistle:

President John Tyler 1841–1845
Vice President None 1841–1845

John Tyler, Jr. (March 29, 1790 – January 18, 1862) was the tenth President of the United States (1841-1845), and the first ever to obtain that office via succession.

Not the greatest source - but the first one I found when doing a search. :tongue:
John Tyler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I heard this on televsison last night. If I had heard it before I sure as hell did not remember it. What does this mean? Nuttin! I just found it interesting. :eusa_whistle:

John Tyler, Jr. (March 29, 1790 – January 18, 1862) was the tenth President of the United States (1841-1845), and the first ever to obtain that office via succession.

Not the greatest source - but the first one I found when doing a search. :tongue:

Jerald Ford was the only President to NEVER have been elected. He was appointed to VP after Spirow Agnew resigned. When Nixon resigned, he became President....

Wonder how many people realize that for about two years we had a Pres that was NEVER elected?????

Jerald Ford was the only President to NEVER have been elected. He was appointed to VP after Spirow Agnew resigned. When Nixon resigned, he became President....

Wonder how many people realize that for about two years we had a Pres that was NEVER elected?????

He was fairly popular until he pardoned Nixon. HIs approval rating plummetted 20 points over night.

It used to be that there was no succession process for creating a new Vice President. When the President died and Vice President took over the office remained empty, if the new President had died they had a list of succession to follow I believe, I will go look at the Constitution.

In 1967 the following amendment was added to the Constitution.

LII: Constitution

Until that addition section 1 of article 2 of the Constitution states that if both the President and Vice President are dead or unable to preform thei duty of President that Congress shall make a law designating what officer or officers the duty shall fall on.

That would be the succession law and I believe it is similar today to in the past.

Yep. I remember this. :) And I remember him pardoning Nixon :eusa_eh:

Thanks for the link's, Js. and RetiredGySgt

LBJ and Harry Truman both had no VP during their first terms as well. there was no mechanism to fill the office in the case of death until the late 60's, i believe.

LBJ and Harry Truman both had no VP during their first terms as well. there was no mechanism to fill the office in the case of death until the late 60's, i believe.

So what this all wraps up to is if McCain should happen to get elected ... he could actually not have a vice president, at all??

:eusa_pray: Please say yes! :eusa_pray:

No, he has to have a VP on his ticket. Besides, if he goes into office without a VP and croaks, you know who becomes President? Nancy fucking Pelosi.

Once again, since 1967 and the 25th Amendment when A vacancy occurs the President submits a name to Congress and if Congress agrees that Person becomes Vice President.

Once again, since 1967 and the 25th Amendment when A vacancy occurs the President submits a name to Congress and if Congress agrees that Person becomes Vice President.

But, if McCain went into office without a VP and died on his first day, we'd be stuck with Pelosi, and I'd /suicide.

Forum List

Back