Did Unemployment Offices really operate like this in the 1970's?

I was watching a episode of Sanford and Son and Lamont when to the Unemployment Office to file for unemployment. But the guy said as long as we can find a job based on your education and work experience you won't need to collect UC

Damm why can't it be way that now?

That is the way it is now and always has been.
In fact, to collect unemployment, I had to keep showing a list of places I applied to and was turned down.
If I ever failed to accept a job they arranged for me, they cut off unemployment.

But if you think you are paying taxes towards unemployment, you are totally wrong.
The applicant is only getting the money the government took out of the applicants paycheck while they were working, as well as an employer contribution.
No additional money is ever put into unemployment payouts.
It is always just the applicants own money being given back to them, as well as an employer contribution.

The job that they arranged for you was it based on your experience and background?
no answer?

If I have 20 years experience in Administrative Support/Customer Service they better not give me a lead for a Janitor lol
Doesn't the janitor job pay more?

it doesn;t matter, i prefer a inside job. Plus health wise I am not eligible for labor work

I was watching a episode of Sanford and Son and Lamont when to the Unemployment Office to file for unemployment. But the guy said as long as we can find a job based on your education and work experience you won't need to collect UC

In fact, to collect unemployment, I had to keep showing a list of places I applied to and was turned down.
If I ever failed to accept a job they arranged for me, they cut off unemployment.

But if you think you are paying taxes towards unemployment, you are totally wrong.
The applicant is only getting the money the government took out of the applicants paycheck while they were working, as well as an employer contribution.
It is always just the applicants own money being given back to them, as well as an employer contribution.

The job that they arranged for you was it based on your experience and background?

Yes, you fill out a skills profile when you apply for unemployment.
Then they send you out openings.
You have to respond to every one.
But you could just deliberately blow the interview and then be rejected by them and not have to justify further.
I was also required to go to classes, like how to interview, etc.
This all varied from state to state, but no state just ignored you after the first couple of weeks.

no answer?

If I have 20 years experience in Administrative Support/Customer Service they better not give me a lead for a Janitor lol

Incompatible with experience or too low of pay was a valid reason to reject a job offer.

Today they have a web site that list jobs and you can apply online for them. My UE only lasted 10 weeks before they kicked me to the curb.

Why?
Was my first thought

UC is 26 weeks, why was yours only 10
He probably got a job after 10 weeks, or more likely, he did not have enough qualifying weeks of work to be eligible for more than 10 weeks of unemployment compensation.

That happens a lot with people who have a difficult time holding a job and jump from employer to employer often with periods of inactivity between jobs.

Although 26 weeks is the max, if you worked less than the max time, you get shorter unemployment compensation.
Remember it is only the money put in by you and your past employers that get paid out.
When it runs out, you are through.

It's unemployment insurance. Why do conservatives and others act as if it is a welfare program, and do they view health insurance that way?
And just like lazy fat smokers abuse the healthcare system, many useless deadbeats abuse unemployment insurance. Too many takers out there.

It's unemployment insurance. Why do conservatives and others act as if it is a welfare program, and do they view health insurance that way?
And just like lazy fat smokers abuse the healthcare system, many useless deadbeats abuse unemployment insurance. Too many takers out there.

Does not cost anyone else anything. Unemployment only pays out what the person and employer paid in. No more.

Does not cost anyone else anything. Unemployment only pays out what the person and employer paid in. No more.
I am an employer and you are clueless. It is a tax collected by the government. It is not voluntary insurance program.

I am an employer and you are clueless. It is a tax collected by the government. It is not voluntary insurance program.

No, you are wrong. If you do not want to pay into unemployment compensation, you can just hire independent contractors instead. No one is forced to pay in, so it is not a tax. But that has nothing to do with what I wrote. I wrote that it was not welfare that anyone else other than the employee and employer were paying in for, and no more is paid out than those 2 parties pay in.

It is a voluntary insurance program because you do not have to hire anyone who is eligible for unemployment compensation.
You just lose some control over subcontractors in comparison to employees.
I am also an employer, and I always have to choose which way I want to do it.

It is not voluntary in one sense, but it is the will of the people through their elected representative government

No, you are wrong. If you do not want to pay into unemployment compensation, you can just hire independent contractors instead. No one is forced to pay in, so it is not a tax. But that has nothing to do with what I wrote. I wrote that it was not welfare that anyone else other than the employee and employer were paying in for, and no more is paid out than those 2 parties pay in.

It is a voluntary insurance program because you do not have to hire anyone who is eligible for unemployment compensation.
This is a great example of how to shut a blowhard

"I'm an employer so trust my every word" bullshit. As if being an employed equals knowing everything. It's like having a bad plumber who when confronted with the fact the leaks is still there - says, "trust me it's not bad. I fixed it"

The people who pay in are only the employer and employee, who then are also the ones who benefited from it.
So it does no harm to anyone else, and is not at all like welfare or a gift.

"I'm an employer so trust my every word" bullshit. As if being an employed equals knowing everything. It's like having a bad plumber who when confronted with the fact the leaks is still there - says, "trust me it's not bad. I fixed it"
Both of you are morons that have no idea what you are babbling about.

7 Unemployment Tax Questions for Employers

I know exactly what I am talking about. If it were a tax, then it would always have to be paid by you when you get services.
But if you do not mind giving up some control over when and where the person works to get the job done, you can hire an independent contractor to do the job, and then you pay no unemployment compensation. The independent contractor then is not eligible for unemployment compensation, and pays in nothing either. Generally you then may also have to pay by the job and not the hour. It varies from state to state.

and you babble on as if you do

check mate

Because, especially in the last recession from the housing crisis, people were collecting far more than they were entitled to based on their contribution, via extensions that seemed to never end

no, they were not that way in the 70's

the purpose for UE is to give a person time to find a new job that they do have skills for, with at least the same pay, they were once making, and not have to take a job, below their skill level and experience level, because they need anykind of income, to pay their bills.

Employers pay a tax to the gvt for all their employees, that goes in to a kitty, for those they choose to lay off, so the employee can collect UE.

If you work for an employer for a certain length of time, and the employer dissolves the position or simply pink slips you for no, or any, reason... back then and now, you can collect UE.

I seen the person behind the desk on Good Times and Sanford and Son going through a book trying to find JJ and Lamont a job

So that was just a TV thing?

About 2001 or so, the unemployment office made a switch to all-telephone and internet claims. Before that, the unemployment claims and job search functions were both in the same office. If someone was permanently out of work, claimants definitely had to look for a job and counselors at the unemployment office were there to help. Unemployment claimants had to show up in person regularly. If you looked at pictures taken during the Carter Recession and Steel Collapse of the late 70's, many offices had lines around the block. Nowadays, like during the Obama Recession, you don't get the same optics as the 99 weekers are all sitting at home.

Forum List

Back