Did Unemployment Offices really operate like this in the 1970's?

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
I was watching a episode of Sanford and Son and Lamont when to the Unemployment Office to file for unemployment. But the guy said as long as we can find a job based on your education and work experience you won't need to collect UC

Damm why can't it be way that now?

151016washington3.jpg

no, they were not that way in the 70's

the purpose for UE is to give a person time to find a new job that they do have skills for, with at least the same pay, they were once making, and not have to take a job, below their skill level and experience level, because they need anykind of income, to pay their bills.

Employers pay a tax to the gvt for all their employees, that goes in to a kitty, for those they choose to lay off, so the employee can collect UE.

If you work for an employer for a certain length of time, and the employer dissolves the position or simply pink slips you for no, or any, reason... back then and now, you can collect UE.

the purpose for UE is to give a person time to find a new job that they do have skills for, with at least the same pay, they were once making, and not have to take a job, below their skill level and experience level, because they need anykind of income, to pay their bills.

Employers pay a tax to the gvt for all their employees, that goes in to a kitty, for those they choose to lay off, so the employee can collect UE.

If you work for an employer for a certain length of time, and the employer dissolves the position or simply pink slips you for no, or any, reason... back then and now, you can collect UE.

I seen the person behind the desk on Good Times and Sanford and Son going through a book trying to find JJ and Lamont a job

So that was just a TV thing?

I was watching a episode of Sanford and Son and Lamont when to the Unemployment Office to file for unemployment. But the guy said as long as we can find a job based on your education and work experience you won't need to collect UC

Yes they did and in the eighties and nineties

It's unemployment insurance. Why do conservatives and others act as if it is a welfare program, and do they view health insurance that way?

Yes they did and in the eighties and nineties
explain

I knew people (We called them payroll patriots) who collected every summer, and then went on General Relief/Welfare until the seasonal construction type work they did opened up (or their Uncle was paying them off the books for a few months for p/t work while collecting)

It was Mr Liberal Michael Dukakis who scuttled General Relief in Massachusetts, and that is part of why he lost his reelection campaign LOL

I seen the person behind the desk on Good Times and Sanford and Son going through a book trying to find JJ and Lamont a job

So that was just a TV thing?
no, not wrong.... way back when, there was no internet etc to help you find a job or even file...

you had to go in, in person every week or two weeks? you had to meet with an employment counselor who had lists of jobs available that you could interview with.... if that is what you mean? When I was in high school I worked for an employer after school part time then in summers I worked full time.... it was a summer resort town.... real busy in the summer, not so much in winter

the owner decided he would close some of the winter months... when he closed, I was able to collect UE, you had to go in person to the UE office

No clue what you´re on about.

Today the Unemployment Office only gives you 6 months to find a job

In 1971 the Unemployment Office helped you find a job
Good idea. On the other hand, long-term unemployment is not a mass phenomenon in the US.
not a mass phenomenon- does not equate to - not a problem, correct?
No, it doesn´t. But what to do? We got the full blown welfare over here. And while it is good to keep people alive it also doesn´t make people go out find a job.

Today they have a web site that list jobs and you can apply online for them. My UE only lasted 10 weeks before they kicked me to the curb.

It is!!!

Today they have a web site that list jobs and you can apply online for them. My UE only lasted 10 weeks before they kicked me to the curb.

Fuck a website I prefer to have someone help me at the UC Center

Forum List

Back