Did the SEIU buy Obama's election?

so you are ok with unions spending 60 million dollars to elect a president?

yes or no

and provide proof corporations have spent more than 60 million to elect a president.

Hell yes! You too can spend that much and I won't quibble with you.

Proof? Politico reports that the Kochs have set a target goal for themselves of raising $88 million to “steer” towards Republican candidates and conservative causes in 2012.

that is not proof corporations have spent more than 60 million dollars to elect a president....

are you joking?

No, it is proof they will, and I am not joking, not even laughing.

The Koch brothers of Koch Industries, the second-largest private corporation in the country, are billionaires ten times over and have become the center of the fundraising universe for the Republican Party.

The Koch brothers of Koch Industries, the second-largest private corporation in the country, are billionaires ten times over and have become the center of the fundraising universe for the Republican Party.
FreedomWorks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FreedomWorks and Americans for Prosperity both originated from a campaign called Citizens for a Sound Economy, which split in two in 2004. CSE was set up by businessman David Koch (Koch Industries).[2] Citizens for a Sound Economy merged with Empower America in 2004 and was renamed FreedomWorks, with Dick Armey, Jack Kemp and C. Boyden Gray serving as co-chairmen, Bill Bennett focusing on school choice as a Senior Fellow, and Matt Kibbe as President and CEO
Just to clarify, the Bennett in there isn't the one outed as a congenital gambler who wrote The Book of Virtues and was in Reagans cabinet :lol:

Hell yes! You too can spend that much and I won't quibble with you.

Proof? Politico reports that the Kochs have set a target goal for themselves of raising $88 million to “steer” towards Republican candidates and conservative causes in 2012.

that is not proof corporations have spent more than 60 million dollars to elect a president....

are you joking?

No, it is proof they will, and I am not joking, not even laughing.

its not proof that they are going to spend that to elect a president. that is not what they claimed. further, you tried to pass that off as proof of TM's claim that corps have already spent more than 60 million to elect a president...

fail

i thought dems were against this kind of thing....they are furious over Citizens and constantly claim corporations buy elections....but apparently its ok for a union to spend $60 million dollars to elect a president...

I thought that angst was kind of strange too. Corporations and unions have always tried to influence elections. My understanding is that Citizens made it so they don't have to go through PACs anymore, and the corps' or union's general funds can now take a bee-line to the politicians' campaigns. I think.

Here's an interesting list of top donors from 89-10. SEIU is at #11.

Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2010 | OpenSecrets

iirc....Citizens said corps and unions cannot give to an individual campaign, rather, they can use their money to buy ads and so forth, but cannot donate to a candidates campaign.

Yeah now that I think about it I think you're right. It's been awhile since I read Kennedy's opinion, and there's been tons of spin from both sides on this issue since then. Also, if I remember right, the justices left room in the decision for Congress to set disclosure requirements in the ads... but as of yet no legislation has become law on that.

I thought that angst was kind of strange too. Corporations and unions have always tried to influence elections. My understanding is that Citizens made it so they don't have to go through PACs anymore, and the corps' or union's general funds can now take a bee-line to the politicians' campaigns. I think.

Here's an interesting list of top donors from 89-10. SEIU is at #11.

Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2010 | OpenSecrets

iirc....Citizens said corps and unions cannot give to an individual campaign, rather, they can use their money to buy ads and so forth, but cannot donate to a candidates campaign.

Yeah now that I think about it I think you're right. It's been awhile since I read Kennedy's opinion, and there's been tons of spin from both sides on this issue since then. Also, if I remember right, the justices left room in the decision for Congress to set disclosure requirements in the ads... but as of yet no legislation has become law on that.

thats correct...i hope that legislation passes. it makes for a more informed society....

thats correct...i hope that legislation passes. it makes for a more informed society....

It would. But what politician would want that? :razz:

Union money is a drop in the bucket compared to corprate money

We spent a fortune to elect Barack Obama — $60.7 million to be exact — and we’re proud of it.

Unplugged: The SEIU chief on the labor movement and the card check - Sunday, May 10, 2009 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

and...

University of California $1,591,395
Goldman Sachs $994,795
Harvard University $854,747
Microsoft Corp $833,617
Google Inc $803,436
Citigroup Inc $701,290
JPMorgan Chase & Co $695,132
Time Warner $590,084
Sidley Austin LLP $588,598
Stanford University $586,557
National Amusements Inc $551,683
UBS AG $543,219
Wilmerhale Llp $542,618
Skadden, Arps et al $530,839
IBM Corp $528,822
Columbia University $528,302
Morgan Stanley $514,881
General Electric $499,130
US Government $494,820
Latham & Watkins $493,835
Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

this doesn't include the nea etc etc

It would. But what politician would want that? :razz:

.........um........mmmmmmmm......i'll get back to you on that :lol:

Andy Stern, Service Employees International Union president

"We spent a fortune to elect Barack Obama — $60.7 million to be exact — and we’re proud of it."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...ment-and-card/

The right wanted unlimited campaign contributions and they got it from Justice Robert'$ So whats the dilemma especially since your article is dated 2009?

you're wrong. reread Citizens.

and i brought it up because i just became aware of it....and given the anti corp cries by the left lately over Citizens, i am just curious where they stood given SEIU spent $60 million to elect a president.

and not surprisingly, the left is largely silent and TM of course supports the union spending this money.

"We spent a fortune to elect Barack Obama — $60.7 million to be exact — and we’re proud of it."

SHOCKING! .

.... Lobbyists and interest groups actually using money to influence US elections .....

WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT!

If this was such a concern, why didn't the Republicans put an end to it under the Bush Administration when they were in control of the White House for 8 years and held majorities in both the House and the Senate for 6 years.

Actually, the Republicans, have a long history of outspending their political opponents during elections and never felt compelled to apologize for their "multitude of riches" in the past!

It just never occurred to them that someday (2008) those "dastardly" Democrats would actually beat them at their own game - and now they're crying

FOUL!

Last edited:

SHOCKING! .

.... Lobbyists and interest groups actually using money to influence US elections .....

WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT!

If this was such a concern, why didn't the Republicans put an end to it under the Bush Administration when they were in control of the White House for 8 years and held majorities in both the Hoise and the Senate for 6 years.

Actually, the Republicans, have a long history of outspending their political opponents during elections and never felt compelled to apologize for their "multitude of riches" in the past!

It just never occurred to them that someday (2008) those "dastardly" Democrats would actually beat them at their own game - and now they're crying

FOUL!

what?

New Topics

Forum List

Back