Did The Obama Presidency End Bipartisanship?

Dschrute3

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2016
In my opinion, it did. Barack Obama changed the game. He came in and immediately boasted about not needing Republicans and having that pen and phone. That set the tone. There was no chance for Bipartisanship. He was gonna go it alone.

And honestly, he did get most of his agenda through. He was right. He didn't need Republicans after all. I feel Obama created the new template. And Donald Trump's gonna follow it. He has that pen and phone now. He's gonna go it alone too. I'm not saying it's right, but it does appear to be the new reality.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
The Republicans under Obama ended bipartisanship. As soon as he took office, they bragged how their sole goal was to make him a one-term president. They didn't want to help the USA. They wanted to screw Obama, period, no matter how badly they screwed the USA.

Obama, he tried to be bipartisan. Over and over, he tried to work with Republicans on health care reform. In return, the Republicans kept playing Lucy pulling away the football. They'd say "just add this, and we'll accept", and Obama would add in what they wanted, and then they wouldn't accept. Finally, getting fed up with being lied to so often, Obama had to move on without them.

Obama was one of the most bipartisan presidents ever. He appointed quite a few Republicans to his admin. How many Democrats has Trump appointed?

The Republicans under Obama ended bipartisanship. As soon as he took office, they bragged how their sole goal was to make him a one-term president. They didn't want to help the USA. They wanted to screw Obama, period, no matter how badly they screwed the USA.

Obama, he tried to be bipartisan. Over and over, he tried to work with Republicans on health care reform. In return, the Republicans kept playing Lucy pulling away the football. They'd say "just add this, and we'll accept", and Obama would add in what they wanted, and then they wouldn't accept. Finally, getting fed up with being lied to so often, Obama had to move on without them.

Obama was one of the most bipartisan presidents ever. He appointed quite a few Republicans to his admin. How many Democrats has Trump appointed?

I didn't see Obama attempting to work with Republicans. I just didn't see it. However i did see him boasting about Republicans being kicked to the back seat, and him having his pen & phone. I think he set the new template for future Presidents to follow. Bipartisanship may be dead.

I would argue the republicans under Dubya are who ended bipartisaship.

I disagree. I truly feel George W. Bush did try to reach out to Democrats. It's what his father taught him. His father prided himself on being able to work with the other side. He was very diplomatic.

But I think Obama has created the new template for future Presidents to follow. He proved you don't necessarily need the other side to get an agenda through. I think it's very dangerous, but it's gonna continue for many years.

Obama, he tried to be bipartisan

Starting with the "stimulus"? LOL!

Obama was one of the most bipartisan presidents ever.

Sorry to hear about your brain injury. Hope you recover soon.

On his last day in office, he gave the Palestinians 221 million.

If he wanted to be thought of as bi-partisan, giving millions of dollars that will be used for terrorism sure is a funny way to go about it.

DISSENT.jpg

On his last day in office, he gave the Palestinians 221 million.

If he wanted to be thought of as bi-partisan, giving millions of dollars that will be used for terrorism sure is a funny way to go about it.

Yeah, i don't support that. Those Tax Dollars would have been better spent on Americans. Or better yet, not spent at all. I mean we are $20 Trillion in Debt for God's sake.

I would argue that bipartisanship ended in the mid-90's when the two parties decided that winning and keeping 'the other' out power was far more important then governing. The only thing the seem to ever agree on is naming new post offices and patting themselves on the back.

I disagree. I truly feel George W. Bush did try to reach out to Democrats. It's what his father taught him. His father prided himself on being able to work with the other side. He was very diplomatic.

But I think Obama has created the new template for future Presidents to follow. He proved you don't necessarily need the other side to get an agenda through. I think it's very dangerous, but it's gonna continue for many years.
No Bush's political strategy was to label opposition as traitors and soldier haters. You accused us of cheering soldier deaths when all we wanted was to bring them home. You accused us of sympathizing with terrorists even though we're the ones who get attacked by terrorists. Republicans of the Dubya era were as vile and divisive as anything I've ever seen.

I would argue that bipartisanship ended in the mid-90's when the two parties decided that winning and keeping 'the other' out power was far more important then governing. The only thing the seem to ever agree on is naming new post offices and patting themselves on the back.

I agree for the most part, but i feel George W. Bush did reach out a bit. He didn't boast about kicking Democrats to the back seat, and having a pen & phone. There was some chance for Bipartisanship. But i think it ended there. At least for awhile anyway.

I didn't see Obama attempting to work with Republicans. I just didn't see it.

Of course you didn't. FOX News and your other sources didn't want to you to see it, so they either didn't show it to you, or they made up a story about that awful Obama not being bipartisan.

Todd brings up the stimulus.

Did Obama say "stimulus only for Democratic districts!" Of course not. It went everywhere. Totally bipartisan.

Trump, on the other hand, has said flat out he plans to screw every person and area that didn't vote for him. Least bipartisan president ever, and all the Republicans support that policy.

Obama never insulted red areas of the country. Trump does insult blue areas of the country.

Democrats are bipartisan, Republicans are hyperpartisan. If any of you disagree, you can show it by condemning Trump for his "screw everyone that didn't vote for me" and "Democratic districts are crap" rhetoric, tactics that the supremely classy Obama never used.

Why is it, by the way, that conservatives think it's okay for Republicans to rip on blue areas? A congressmen criticizes a liberal area, conservatives sing his praises. We liberals, however, are consistent in how we think we're all Americans, and nobody in government should be criticizing any parts of the USA like that.

No Bush's political strategy was to label opposition as traitors and soldier haters. You accused us of cheering soldier deaths when all we wanted was to bring them home. You accused us of sympathizing with terrorists even though we're the ones who get attacked by terrorists. Republicans of the Dubya era were as vile and divisive as anything I've ever seen.

Can't disagree too much with that. Those were some pretty ugly times. But even still, i do feel George Bush did try to reach out. He didn't boast about having a pen and phone. He did engage Congress.

He didn't boast about having a pen and phone.

That statement had nothing to do with not wanting to work with congress. Why are you pretending it did?

Obama On Executive Actions: 'I've Got A Pen And I've Got A Phone'
---
“We’re not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we’re providing Americans the kind of help they need. I’ve got a pen and I’ve got a phone,” Obama said Tuesday as he convened his first Cabinet meeting of the year.
----

Saying he can sign EO's is not saying "I won't work with congress". The two issues are separate.

He did engage Congress.

As did Obama, over and over. You're just giving us a fantasy version of events.

Can't disagree too much with that. Those were some pretty ugly times. But even still, i do feel George Bush did try to reach out. He didn't boast about having a pen and phone. He did engage Congress.
He had a supermajority and control of congress for 6 years. He used reconciliation 3 times. He didn't reach out because he never needed to. Until the economy collapsed and he had to turn to Democrats to bail us out.

He didn't boast about having a pen and phone.

That statement had nothing to do with not wanting to work with congress. Why are you pretending it did?

Obama On Executive Actions: 'I've Got A Pen And I've Got A Phone'
---
“We’re not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we’re providing Americans the kind of help they need. I’ve got a pen and I’ve got a phone,” Obama said Tuesday as he convened his first Cabinet meeting of the year.
----

Saying he can sign EO's is not saying "I won't work with congress". The two issues are separate.

He did engage Congress.

As did Obama, over and over. You're just giving us a fantasy version of events.

He basically declared he was gonna go it alone. And that's what he did. He actually got much of his agenda through. He created a new template. And now Trump's gonna follow it. He doesn't need Democrats. He'll get it done without em. Bipartisanship may be dead.

Regardless of who/when bipartisanship began or ended, it never should have happened to begin with. It's dangerous and damaging to ideology and should never be tried under any circumstances.

Forum List

Back