Did the Democrats start the trend of interrupting Presidential speeches?

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
YouTube - Democrats Boo Bush During 2005 SOTU

Just saying, Wilson is not the first time a president speaking in front of congress was interrupted by a member or members of that congress.

And in reality people stop and cheer constantly, interrupting presidents, is that tacit approval of a comment giving an opening to those who may want to boo instead? Could be...its an interesting thought excercise to think of at least.

EDIT: I think yelling out liar was out of line.

Last edited:
it's not the interruption it was the calling of names. Having said that the other guy called names first. Neither of them should have done it.

Congress should be more like British Parliament or the Knesset. I won't be happy until they start swinging at each other

YouTube - Democrats Boo Bush During 2005 SOTU

Just saying, Wilson is not the first time a president speaking in front of congress was interrupted by a member or members of that congress.

And in reality people stop and cheer constantly, interrupting presidents, is that tacit approval of a comment giving an opening to those who may want to boo instead? Could be...its an interesting thought excercise to think of at least.
like willow said, neither side should of done it. The dems were wrong in 2005 and Wilson is wrong now, but he did apologize.
I think both parties need to sit back and look at how some of them are acting and maybe remember that they are congressman and develope a little respect for the job and the people they represent.

I love watching the Parliament. It's a hoot,, probably a much more honest debate too.

At least Joe Wilson apologized. You can't say the same for the Democrats in 2005.

well to be honest I was not talking about 2005 I was talking about the leader of the free world calling Republicans liars. He should apologize to the American people.. say they are mistaken if you want but don't call them liars.. unless you do it in private.

well to be honest I was not talking about 2005 I was talking about the leader of the free world calling Republicans liars. He should apologize to the American people.. say they are mistaken if you want but don't call them liars.. unless you do it in private.

I can't rep you again willow...stop the good posts already would ya :)

This is a false premise.

Cheering and booing have been a part of these speeches for some time now, not starting in 2005.

The Republicans ALL booed this time around also.

The difference was Joe Wilson loudly calling the President of the United States a liar in the middle of the speech.

Which is why Wilson was singled out.

The fact that Wilson was incorrect in his accusation is another matter altogether.

Last edited:
This is a false premise.

Cheering and booing have been a part of these speeches for some time now, not starting in 2005.

The Republicans ALL booed this time around also.

The difference was Joe Wilson loudly calling the President of the United States a liar in the middle of the speech.

Which is why Wilson was singled out.

The fact that Wilson was incorrect in his accusation is another matter altogether.

Wilson has apologized. Your guy has not! let that be on the record.

Presidents didn’t even address Congress between 1800, when John Adams held the job, and 1913, says Fred Beuttler, deputy historian at the House of Representatives, who calls the Wilson incident "highly unusual, if not unique."

"Occasionally, members of the opposing party have been known to boo and jeer as expressions of dissent on a specific point," says Beuttler, citing instances during the Bill Clinton and George W. Bush administrations. But before Wednesday, he says, "expressions of individual opposition of members to a president’s speech had not been recorded."

NorthJersey.com: Heckling of president in Congress a rare event

You're asking the President to apologize for the truthful content of his speech? Yeah, that's gonna happen. Are you always this crazy, or are you just a bit off today?

Contradicting what the president had to say is what the Republican response is for.

Not to mention the fact that Republicans had been calling the president a liar and blatantly lying about his health care plan for weeks before the speech, which was the reason for the speech in the first place.

I'll tell you what, if you get every Republican that called the president a liar, and lied about his health care plan to apologize first, I'm sure he'd be happy to apologize to them.

Last edited:
You're asking the President to apologize for the truthful content of his speech? Yeah, that's gonna happen. Are you always this crazy, or are you just a bit off today?

Contradicting what the president had to say is what the Republican response is for.

Not to mention the fact that Republicans had been calling the president a liar and blatantly lying about his health care plan for weeks before the speech, which was the reason for the speech in the first place.

I'll tell you what, if you get every Republican that called the president a liar, and lied about his health care plan to apologize first, I'm sure he'd be happy to apologize to them.

sure and if we are not going to ask him to apologize for callin republicans liars then joe wilson has no reason to apologize either. it's just that simple.

sure and if we are not going to ask him to apologize for callin republicans liars then joe wilson has no reason to apologize either. it's just that simple.
Why did the GOP leadership make him do it then?

why? is he a puppet?
Why did the GOP leadership make him do it then?

why? is he a puppet? it's your fault I abused my office? pathetic.

Forum List

Back