Did the Bush Administration drop the ball with 9/11?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Modbert, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I've heard it many times in my time here at USMB, that George W. Bush dropped the ball when it came to 9/11 information. That he had no idea that Al Qaeda was going to attack, and that the document dated from August 27, 2001 was not specific enough.

Well, I had to dig around tonight to help a friend with a project. And I came across these two articles, and I was wondering what your thoughts on this were USMB.

U.S. planned for attack on al-Qaida - Security- msnbc.com

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | US 'planned attack on Taleban'

Note: This is not a 9/11 Conspiracy Theory Thread or Promoter of it.

2. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I think organizations like the FBI and CIA dropped the ball.
    But like anything else, it is easy to play the blame game after events like this.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I just find it interesting that they had planned to attack Al Qaeda before 9/11. I mean you always hear how it was a surprise attack on the U.S. While it was for us citizens, it just doesn't seem to be so for the government if they saw the Taliban and such to be a threat to the level where declaration of war was necessary.

4. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I have also heard the theory, the CIA wanted to get into Afganistan for the heroine.

5. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Haven't heard that one.

Though I know that the Taliban had the amount of heroin being made in Afghanistan at record lows because they despised the stuff. After we came in, it's being produced at record highs now.

6. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I heard it on some far left wing documentary.
    I think it was just a bonus to them, when they decided to invade.

And as for the production, I have also heard that was kind of a false statement. For one when we invaded it was harvest time, with sells being down before due to it not being harvest season.

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It is incredibly easy for people to throw criticism around about responsibility. The fact is that, as you say, it is a whole different ball game when you're the one of the government agencies responsible. They were - and continue to be - overwhelmed with information that needs to be analysed and considered. I think, considering the amount of shit these people have to take, they are unsung heroes. We rarely hear about all the successes they have - sadly, we are all painfully aware of the shit that slips through.

There are thousands of Americans who work tirelessly to protect us - and, for the most part - their hard work and dedication goes unrecognized. And worse, they are publicly blamed by a bunch of assclowns in DC.

8. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    I think there is a difference between:

a) These guys are a threat to global stability and security. We need to analyze their operations, study their weaknesses, obtain executive and congressional approval for and funding of possible covert military actions against them. Then we need to come up with specific and actionable intelligence, formulate tactical operations without losing the strategic focus....

and

b) HOLY GODDAMN FUCKING SHIT!! Look what the fucking hell they just did! We gotta go GET those fuckers!

Obviously, plan A was in the works, and then plan B had to take effect.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  9. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,938
    You can tell that Bush knew how fucked our National Security apparatus was because he "asked" that the Clinton team carry over. After West Nile, 93 WTC, Murray Building, Cole, Embassies, TWA800, Bush knew it was a question of when and not if we were going to get hit again so he gave the Clinton Team a choice: stay and we fight together or leave us with this pile of crap and we;ll be sure to let everybody know how many times you screwed the pooch

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Personally, I think we should be above partisan sniping about our national security.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1