Did Someone Say "Un-American?"...

LibocalypseNow

Jul 30, 2009
New York Democrat Rep. Eric Massa boldly announced yesterday..."I will adamantly vote against the interests of my District if it will be helpful." "Helpful?" God only knows what he means by that. This man is unfortunately typical of what our U.S. Congress has become. When our nation was founded,the U.S. Congress was created to serve the people and now it has sadly become the opposite. Our U.S. Congress now expects the people to serve them. They now actually believe that they are celebrities who are above dealing with or answering the people. If you don't believe me then just go ahead and try to schedule an appointment with Pelosi or Reid. See how far that gets you. This man is openly boasting about how he doesn't care what his constituents think. Pretty sad stuff if you ask me. So i will just have to say again that Mrs. Pelosi was truly wrong when she called protesters "Un-American" because in the end it is shallow & inept politicians like this man and her who are Un-American. I can't think of anything more Un-American than what this man has said. :(

Last edited:
"Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

My worthy colleague says, his will ought to be subservient to yours. If that be all, the thing is innocent. If government were a matter of will upon any side, yours, without question, ought to be superior. But government and legislation are matters of reason and judgment, and not of inclination; and what sort of reason is that, in which the determination precedes the discussion; in which one set of men deliberate, and another decide; and where those who form the conclusion are perhaps three hundred miles distant from those who hear the arguments?"

The words of a conservative.

Today's Congress unfortunately demands that we the people serve them instead of them serving we the people. It's all upside down at this point. More & more people now fear our Government. It's actually gone back to how we feared England and the King before our Revolution. Our Government can destroy any one of us anytime they choose. They now control most of our lives unfortunately. Just like the King of England did. We shouldn't ever fear our Government yet most of us now do. That's certainly not what our Founding Fathers ever intended. It's all very sad. :(

Did you not realise thats the way it works, did no one tell you that politicians don't represent the people they represent the people who put them in power, can you see the difference between the two.

People are lead to believe that they are represented but its not worked that way for a long time and probally never has. Whilst the rich and powerful can buy politicians at two a penny then the people should be aware of what is really going on. Politics is just a front, a shop window display nothing more. yes there may be the odd honest one but they are drowned out by the sea of corruption all around them.

Did you not realise thats the way it works, did no one tell you that politicians don't represent the people they represent the people who put them in power, can you see the difference between the two.

People are lead to believe that they are represented but its not worked that way for a long time and probally never has. Whilst the rich and powerful can buy politicians at two a penny then the people should be aware of what is really going on. Politics is just a front, a shop window display nothing more. yes there may be the odd honest one but they are drowned out by the sea of corruption all around them.

I would imagine that most posters know that's the case (even if some choose to ignore it), but it is unusual for an elected official to say in such a direct manner that he doesn't give two hoots for what benefits his constituents.

Today's Congress unfortunately demands that we the people serve them instead of them serving we the people. It's all upside down at this point. More & more people now fear our Government. It's actually gone back to how we feared England and the King before our Revolution. Our Government can destroy any one of us anytime they choose. They now control most of our lives unfortunately. Just like the King of England did. We shouldn't ever fear our Government yet most of us now do. That's certainly not what our Founding Fathers ever intended. It's all very sad. :(

You can vote I assume? And what's changed recently? The situation you are describing could apply at any time now and in the past. I don't mean to be offensive but could it be that the wrong Party is in power?

What is Un-American is what my congressman Dan Lipinski( D from Il)is doing, he is hiding from his constituants and not having a town hall meeting to get the views of the people in his district. What a pussy, scared little rabbit hiding in a hole, waiting to scurry back to D.C., afraid to hear what the people really want. To scared to hold a meeting and take the beating that he deserves after voting in favor of the Cap and Trade bill after not even reading the bill and backing this lousy Obama care Death bill . He should be impeached or removed from office for this cowardly behavior!!!

New York Democrat Rep. Eric Massa boldly announced yesterday..."I will adamantly vote against the interests of my District if it will be helpful." "Helpful?" God only knows what he means by that.

Political Science 101 Lesson of the Day: A representative as a trustee versus a representative a delegate. Look it up.

I am assuming in this situtation the dude is acting as a trustee and hopefully by "helpful" he means what he believes is in the best interests of the nation as a whole.

New York Democrat Rep. Eric Massa boldly announced yesterday..."I will adamantly vote against the interests of my District if it will be helpful." "Helpful?" God only knows what he means by that. This man is unfortunately typical of what our U.S. Congress has become. When our nation was founded,the U.S. Congress was created to serve the people and now it has sadly become the opposite. Our U.S. Congress now expects the people to serve them. They now actually believe that they are celebrities who are above dealing with or answering the people. If you don't believe me then just go ahead and try to schedule an appointment with Pelosi or Reid. See how far that gets you. This man is openly boasting about how he doesn't care what his constituents think. Pretty sad stuff if you ask me. So i will just have to say again that Mrs. Pelosi was truly wrong when she called protesters "Un-American" because in the end it is shallow & inept politicians like this man and her who are Un-American. I can't think of anything more Un-American than what this man has said. :(

Hate to be the one to break this to you, but this is exactly what the founders intended. This is why we have a representative Democracy, not a direct Democracy. I'm not saying that I agree with what Rep. Massa said - but this is exactly what the founders intended - that the people would elect someone, in affect trusting that persons judgment for future events. This is how a representative Democracy works. If you were a constituent of Massa, and he made a decision that you didn't agree with, then you vote against him next time. Really, that's the only way to know whether or not your constituents agree with you or not.

Last edited:
The latest news now is that this White House is actually compiling an Enemies List. Our Founding Fathers certainly never intended for we the people to fear our Government. Our Revolution was supposed to end this kind of fear which was prevalent when the King Of England ruled the colonies. I would say that most Americans do now fear our Government very much in the same way people feared the King of England back before our Revolution. At any moment our Government could completely destroy any one of us. These are very disturbing times for our nation. That's why i still stand by my belief that less Government intervention in our lives is far better than more Government intervention in our lives. I just hope & pray more people start holding to this belief.

The latest news now is that this White House is actually compiling an Enemies List. Our Founding Fathers certainly never intended for we the people to fear our Government. Our Revolution was supposed to end this kind of fear which was prevalent when the King Of England ruled the colonies. I would say that most Americans do now fear our Government very much in the same way people feared the King of England back before our Revolution. At any moment our Government could completely destroy any one of us. These are very disturbing times for our nation. That's why i still stand by my belief that less Government intervention in our lives is far better than more Government intervention in our lives. I just hope & pray more people start holding to this belief.

The "latest news"? From where? I don't know what you're talking about, I don't think anyone aside from the far fringes of the political spectrum "fears" their government. I agree with you that less government intervention into my life is better - but I'm not lying awake at night expecting to be carted of to the FEMA camps either. Paranoia is a dangerous master.

New York Democrat Rep. Eric Massa boldly announced yesterday..."I will adamantly vote against the interests of my District if it will be helpful." "Helpful?" God only knows what he means by that.

Political Science 101 Lesson of the Day: A representative as a trustee versus a representative a delegate. Look it up.

I am assuming in this situtation the dude is acting as a trustee and hopefully by "helpful" he means what he believes is in the best interests of the nation as a whole.

Telling someone to look something up is not a lesson.

a rebelious servant

Thought this might help:

The Oxford Guide
US Government Guide: House of Representatives
The House of Representatives has been called the “people's body.” No one ever became a member of the House by appointment or any means other than standing for election by the people. Because of the House's close connection to the voters, the Constitution gave the House authority to originate all bills to levy taxes and spend government money.

Representatives serve two-year terms. Each state has at least one representative. States with larger populations are divided into districts, whose lines are redrawn every ten years according to the latest federal census. The House has sole authority to determine any disputed elections and to expel members by a two-thirds vote.

Sheer numbers have shaped the House. The original House consisted of 65 members, one for every 30,000 citizens. After the first census the number rose to 105, and it grew steadily as the population increased and new states were added. In 1910 Congress fixed the membership at 435, and districts are reapportioned every ten years following a new census.

As its membership grew, the House changed its rules to limit time for debate and to strengthen majority rule. When Asher Hinds compiled the first volumes of House precedents in 1907, he observed that “the pages of these volumes show a constant subordination of the individual to the necessities of the whole House as the voice of the national will.” Nearly a century later, in 1992, House majority leader Richard Gephardt (Democrat-Missouri) reconfirmed that “the Senate is a collection of individuals, while the House, by virtue of its size, forces you to function in a group.”

Leadership in the House

The House sets its own rules and elects its own officers, headed by the Speaker. Depending upon the personality and philosophy of the various Speakers, they have acted as impartial presiding officers or as strong partisan leaders. Speakers of the stature of Henry Clay, James G. Blaine, Thomas B. Reed, Joseph G. Cannon, Nicholas Longworth, Sam Rayburn, Thomas P. (“Tip”) O'Neill, Jr., and Newt Gingrich have shaped the development of the House. So, too, have strong committee chairs, notably of the powerful Rules Committee and of the “money” committees: Appropriationsand Ways and Means. Traditionally, a small number of committee chairs, ranking minority members, and other senior representatives have dominated the House, and junior members have had little influence. Committee reforms in 1975 opened the chairmanships, particularly of subcommittees, to more members and gave members of the majority party the opportunity to vote to remove committee chairs who acted arbitrarily.

Constituent services

House members often receive less national press attention than do senators, and they tend to devote more time to constituent services. If effective, they assure that their district will have a voice in national—and international—affairs and that the federal government will be responsive to its needs, whether in road building, federal water projects, public housing, military bases, Social Security payments, or any number of other areas.

The atmosphere of the House chamber has traditionally differed from that of the more staid Senate. The larger body has often been the more boisterous one, with shouts of “Vote! Vote!” and other commotion on the floor, causing Woodrow Wilson to describe the House as a “mass of jarring elements.” The Speaker, as presiding officer, holds the responsibility for keeping order. He is assisted by the sergeant at arms, who during particularly tumultuous moments has lifted the House mace, the symbol of the authority of the House, as a means of quieting the chamber.

After 200 years the House of Representatives remains the branch of government closest to the voters and the most conscious of operating with the “consent of the governed.” Its members therefore constantly strive to make sure that their constituents' voices are heard and their interests are fairly considered within the federal system.

The rep as a trustee/delegate, just a couple of questions. Is it in the job description that they have to be one or the other? Do you know the law on it, again, do they have to be one or the other?

I get a sense of Burke out of this bloke, it tends to sound a bit patronising but basically the idea is that the electorate put him in there to exercise his judgement on their behalf. If he had a meeting with his electorate every time a decision faced him in the legislature it would be a thorough pain. So I'm not sure if the "delegate" model is useful for anything other than a single issue event.

The rep as a trustee/delegate, just a couple of questions. Is it in the job description that they have to be one or the other? Do you know the law on it, again, do they have to be one or the other?

I get a sense of Burke out of this bloke, it tends to sound a bit patronising but basically the idea is that the electorate put him in there to exercise his judgement on their behalf. If he had a meeting with his electorate every time a decision faced him in the legislature it would be a thorough pain. So I'm not sure if the "delegate" model is useful for anything other than a single issue event.
I agree with you. Once elected the representative may vote how (s)he chooses, mindful that the electorate may actually pay attention and protest currently and vote differently in the future. Messy for certain, fair in the main.

I'd say the outcome of the most recent Democratic presidential primary says all there is to say on the matter.

I'd say the outcome of the most recent Democratic presidential primary says all there is to say on the matter.

Our history is replete with Representatives and Senatos voting against the people's wishes.

And our Prez and Veep often do the same. Remember "Loose Lip" Cheney's, "so?" I feel that it is somewhat poignant that he must now travel overseas incognito with heavy armed guard so that he will not be arrested as a war criminal.

Forum List

Back