Did Someone Say "Un-American?"...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LibocalypseNow, Aug 18, 2009.

1. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    New York Democrat Rep. Eric Massa boldly announced yesterday..."I will adamantly vote against the interests of my District if it will be helpful." "Helpful?" God only knows what he means by that. This man is unfortunately typical of what our U.S. Congress has become. When our nation was founded,the U.S. Congress was created to serve the people and now it has sadly become the opposite. Our U.S. Congress now expects the people to serve them. They now actually believe that they are celebrities who are above dealing with or answering the people. If you don't believe me then just go ahead and try to schedule an appointment with Pelosi or Reid. See how far that gets you. This man is openly boasting about how he doesn't care what his constituents think. Pretty sad stuff if you ask me. So i will just have to say again that Mrs. Pelosi was truly wrong when she called protesters "Un-American" because in the end it is shallow & inept politicians like this man and her who are Un-American. I can't think of anything more Un-American than what this man has said. :(

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    "Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

My worthy colleague says, his will ought to be subservient to yours. If that be all, the thing is innocent. If government were a matter of will upon any side, yours, without question, ought to be superior. But government and legislation are matters of reason and judgment, and not of inclination; and what sort of reason is that, in which the determination precedes the discussion; in which one set of men deliberate, and another decide; and where those who form the conclusion are perhaps three hundred miles distant from those who hear the arguments?"

The words of a conservative.

3. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    Today's Congress unfortunately demands that we the people serve them instead of them serving we the people. It's all upside down at this point. More & more people now fear our Government. It's actually gone back to how we feared England and the King before our Revolution. Our Government can destroy any one of us anytime they choose. They now control most of our lives unfortunately. Just like the King of England did. We shouldn't ever fear our Government yet most of us now do. That's certainly not what our Founding Fathers ever intended. It's all very sad. :(

4. publicprotector

publicprotector Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Did you not realise thats the way it works, did no one tell you that politicians don't represent the people they represent the people who put them in power, can you see the difference between the two.

People are lead to believe that they are represented but its not worked that way for a long time and probally never has. Whilst the rich and powerful can buy politicians at two a penny then the people should be aware of what is really going on. Politics is just a front, a shop window display nothing more. yes there may be the odd honest one but they are drowned out by the sea of corruption all around them.

5. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    I would imagine that most posters know that's the case (even if some choose to ignore it), but it is unusual for an elected official to say in such a direct manner that he doesn't give two hoots for what benefits his constituents.

6. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    You can vote I assume? And what's changed recently? The situation you are describing could apply at any time now and in the past. I don't mean to be offensive but could it be that the wrong Party is in power?

7. keee keee

keee keee Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +142
    What is Un-American is what my congressman Dan Lipinski( D from Il)is doing, he is hiding from his constituants and not having a town hall meeting to get the views of the people in his district. What a pussy, scared little rabbit hiding in a hole, waiting to scurry back to D.C., afraid to hear what the people really want. To scared to hold a meeting and take the beating that he deserves after voting in favor of the Cap and Trade bill after not even reading the bill and backing this lousy Obama care Death bill . He should be impeached or removed from office for this cowardly behavior!!!

8. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
  9. Bill O'Olberman

Bill O'Olberman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Political Science 101 Lesson of the Day: A representative as a trustee versus a representative a delegate. Look it up.

I am assuming in this situtation the dude is acting as a trustee and hopefully by "helpful" he means what he believes is in the best interests of the nation as a whole.

10. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,970
    Hate to be the one to break this to you, but this is exactly what the founders intended. This is why we have a representative Democracy, not a direct Democracy. I'm not saying that I agree with what Rep. Massa said - but this is exactly what the founders intended - that the people would elect someone, in affect trusting that persons judgment for future events. This is how a representative Democracy works. If you were a constituent of Massa, and he made a decision that you didn't agree with, then you vote against him next time. Really, that's the only way to know whether or not your constituents agree with you or not.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009