Did Scientology Play a Role in Jett Travolta's Death?

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
Clips: Scientology Founder Slams Drugs That Might Have Saved Travolta's Son
Ostensibly fearing liver damage, John Travolta removed his teenaged son from the anti-seizure medication Depakote. Jett Travolta later succumbed to convulsions and died. Why wasn't he put on other medication?

For one thing, the underlying cause of the seizures was unclear.

John Travolta said his son had Kawasaki disease. But at least one doctor says the disease does not cause seizures.

One disease that is associated with elevated risk of seizures is autism. In 2006, celebrity writer Mark Ebner cited five anonymous sources who said Jett had that disease, not Kawasaki disease ("a media rep from the Autism Society of America (ASA), an executive from Cure Autism Now, a major Hollywood producer and parent of an autistic child, and a Hollywood actor-parent").

This weekend the Mirror cited an anonymous "close friend" of John Travolta's brother Joey. The source said Joey, who made a documentary about autism, strongly believed John's son Jett had the condition.

But movie star John, a high-ranking member of the Church of Scientology, would not likely have embraced an autism diagnosis; by all accounts, the church does not recognize the disorder as requiring medical treatment (as with any other illnesses the cult deems "psychosomatic").

Gawker has been one of the most interesting sources of information on high profile celebrity scientologists. They were one of the only media outlets to maintain a link to Tom Cruise's utterly crazy "scientology interview."

If you haven't seen it, you should.

Exclusive: The Cruise Indoctrination Video Scientology Tried To Suppress

As a person who has had to battle these idiots on the medical level, I can assure you, they are nuts. They can believe in what they wish, but, when they begin playing doctor and they do, do that, they cross lines they need to not cross. JMO.

Scientologists also will not accept you if you have ever been treated by a Psychiatrist. I did do the "purification program" it rid me of toxins.

As a person who has had to battle these idiots on the medical level, I can assure you, they are nuts. They can believe in what they wish, but, when they begin playing doctor and they do, do that, they cross lines they need to not cross. JMO.

You know.......Scientologists aren't the only ones that do this. Anyone remember the little girl that died about a year ago because her parents (who were 7th Day Adventists) refused to allow her to have her diabetes medication?

There are spiritual kooks everywhere.

You know.......Scientologists aren't the only ones that do this. Anyone remember the little girl that died about a year ago because her parents (who were 7th Day Adventists) refused to allow her to have her diabetes medication?

And secular kooks too.

one set of parents from the 7th dayers....not the whole religion....like the scientologists

Clips: Scientology Founder Slams Drugs That Might Have Saved Travolta's Son

Gawker has been one of the most interesting sources of information on high profile celebrity scientologists. They were one of the only media outlets to maintain a link to Tom Cruise's utterly crazy "scientology interview."

If you haven't seen it, you should.

Exclusive: The Cruise Indoctrination Video Scientology Tried To Suppress

There have been several well documentated cases where people haven't taken needed medication do to Scientology beliefs and they have either died or killed people.

one set of parents from the 7th dayers....not the whole religion....like the scientologists

Hey......that's just one example.....there are MANY "people of faith" that have allowed their kids and family members to become ill or even die because they believe that "faith is enough".

Scientology isn't the only one.

There being other religious lunatics in the world doesn't improve the standing of Scientology.

Why are we singleling out religious kooks?--there are some quite wacky people out there who do things for totally secular reasons.
Women took thalidomide thinking it was a perfectly fine way to treat nausea while pregnant. It wasn't.

There being other religious lunatics in the world doesn't improve the standing of Scientology.

Never said that I was defending Scientology. What I'd said is that those loonies aren't the only ones.

And.......from what I've seen on the news thus far, I don't think that John Travolta, nor his family contributed to this in any way. It's just bad luck.

Matter of fact, had a friend of mine that I was stationed with in Newport RI, by the name of Eric Dew. Big black guy, only around 20 or so, and one day, he was playing basketball in the gym, and just dropped dead from a stroke. He died before he hit the floor.

It happens.

What none of you understands is seizure disorder. My son had it and I cared for a man who had it for two years. The man I cared for was in constant danger of epileticus staticus, which is prolonged seizure that eventually results in death. Each time someone has a prolonged seizure, the brain is compromised.

Medication does not make seizure disorder go away, and often does very little to make the patient's life any better at all. You can't just jump around between medications...depakote is a big nasty one with all sorts of side effects...including liver damage. People get to decide for themselves and their loved ones how they want to cope with seizure disorder. Many choose not to medicate, because the medication can be just as troublesome and potentially deadly as the disorder.

My son hated it. We experimented with medications until we landed on depakote..and each experiment resulted in increased seizures. He missed a whole year of school and never regained his footing academically or socially.

My client hated it, though I actually counted a seizure a minute for a prolonged period of time while he was in my care. That was with medication. Huge doses of it.

Unless you've actually been there, you really don't know what prompted the decisions the family of somebody with seizure disorder makes. These people have to make very difficult decisions, and they all have consequences of one sort or another. And I know scientology is nutzoid. But I have no problem with parents of a teenager opting not to medicate their son to death if he has seizure disorder, and just to deal with the seizures. There's no guarantee the medication will save an epileptic's life at any rate...and often it makes the situation that much worse.

Hey......that's just one example.....there are MANY "people of faith" that have allowed their kids and family members to become ill or even die because they believe that "faith is enough".

Scientology isn't the only one.

okay i will type real slow here.....name another religion that as a whole rejects medically proven proceeds and denys diseases...before you just on the jw's they only deny blood..and as a religion have aided in research to replace blood products with things they can take...even serpent handlers will seek medical attention and are allowed to...most dont...as you say depending on their faith...that is there choice ...as adults..they do not allow the wee ones to handle...you must be 18 and over to take up the serpents

o hell....and there are people of many faiths that leave their kids in hot cars to die....you simply are not getting what i am putting down...

I wonder if Tom Cruse is even going to show his face and try to spin this childs death? :evil:

I think he's currently downplaying his personal brand of jump on the couch crazy to promote his new film since it hurt him so badly during MI3.

What none of you understands is seizure disorder. My son had it and I cared for a man who had it for two years. The man I cared for was in constant danger of epileticus staticus, which is prolonged seizure that eventually results in death. Each time someone has a prolonged seizure, the brain is compromised.

Medication does not make seizure disorder go away, and often does very little to make the patient's life any better at all. You can't just jump around between medications...depakote is a big nasty one with all sorts of side effects...including liver damage. People get to decide for themselves and their loved ones how they want to cope with seizure disorder. Many choose not to medicate, because the medication can be just as troublesome and potentially deadly as the disorder.

My son hated it. We experimented with medications until we landed on depakote..and each experiment resulted in increased seizures. He missed a whole year of school and never regained his footing academically or socially.

My client hated it, though I actually counted a seizure a minute for a prolonged period of time while he was in my care. That was with medication. Huge doses of it.

Unless you've actually been there, you really don't know what prompted the decisions the family of somebody with seizure disorder makes. These people have to make very difficult decisions, and they all have consequences of one sort or another. And I know scientology is nutzoid. But I have no problem with parents of a teenager opting not to medicate their son to death if he has seizure disorder, and just to deal with the seizures. There's no guarantee the medication will save an epileptic's life at any rate...and often it makes the situation that much worse.

i would not assume that

there are 3 types of people....group a...will never seizure.....group b...may do it once and never again....or have a few seizures...group c...will seizure

unless that has changed...i think you should avoid telling others what they dont know about

seizure disorders and the 3 groups of people who have or dont have them..and your assine assumptions that you know more than anyone else about these things

Forum List

Back