Did Roberts Change His Mind ?

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Rumors had been circulating in legal circles for weeks that Chief Justice Roberts in particular was under enormous political pressure not to be the vote that would overturn the most significant piece of social legislation passed by Congress in decades. Indeed, in April President Obama took the unusual step of issuing something of a public warning on the subject, saying that he was “confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.”

It is impossible for a lawyer to read even the first few pages of the dissent without coming away with the impression that this is a majority opinion that at the last moment lost its fifth vote. Its structure and tone are those of a winning coalition, not that of the losing side in the most controversial Supreme Court case in many years. But when we get to Page 13, far more conclusive evidence appears: No less than 15 times in the space of the next few pages, the dissent refers to Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s concurring opinion as “Justice Ginsburg’s dissent.”

There is one likely explanation for this: The dissent was the majority opinion when those who voted to overturn the entire ACA signed off on sending their text to the printer. In other words, Chief Justice Roberts changed his vote at the very last possible moment.

Did John Roberts switch his vote? - Salon.com

Enormous political pressure to not overturn ?

How in the hell does a CJ bow to political pressure. I don't give a rats ass about the "legitimacy" of the court. If Roberts caved, he should remove himself from the court. We don't need him.

The very idea that we have this sorry assed legislation because he bowed...makes me vomit.

And, I like that the article specfically points out that Obama made those public statements.

Obama...our so-called "Constitutional Scholar"/Moron-In-Chief basically would be guilty of interfering with what is supposed to be a separate branch of government.

But you libs liked that...anything for the victory...You've joined Obama in wiping your asses with the constitution for decades. You might as well have it printed on Charmin so you can make the job easier.

Maybe he was thinking that he was going to take the blame for biggest piece of partisan political sabotage since he allowed corporate control of our national elections. You guys have that, with that you can get all kinds of societal sabotage and chaotic change for the worse. Be glad, republicans will probably still be able to dump huge numbers of poor people from other things.

Maybe he was thinking that he was going to take the blame for biggest piece of partisan political sabotage since he allowed corporate control of our national elections. You guys have that, with that you can get all kinds of societal sabotage and chaotic change for the worse. Be glad, republicans will probably still be able to dump huge numbers of poor people from other things.

If he was thinking that....he should quit.

There is no getting around the fact he saved the law from the pathetic arguments of the admin by finding a backdoor for it.

If you are still bitter about Citizens United.....I thought it sucked....you can join PockFace Brown to get it overturned. I think it was bad law. it should be challenged legislatively.

Just like Obamacare.

I guess two wrongs make a right in the world of the left and John Roberts.

Personally I think he was swayed, but then again... it doesn't matter to a hill of beans... we will not know for decades.

Personally I think he was swayed, but then again... it doesn't matter to a hill of beans... we will not know for decades.

It matters to me that somehow the administration might have gotten to Roberts.

It is clear that Obama was openly challenging them. Besides the fact that he is an arrogant asshole.......he claims to know the constitution....

Mabye the first affirmative action president does not think the constitution applies to him.

Maybe he should quit, maybe he no longer has the stomach to be a right wing jerk.

Who did roberts receive this enormous pressure from.....?

Certainly not just a statement by the president....

So who was this supposed pressure from, that runs in Robert's circle?

Sorry, that is just too much like a conspiracy projection than anything else....

It matters to me that somehow the administration might have gotten to Roberts.

It is clear that Obama was openly challenging them. Besides the fact that he is an arrogant asshole.......he claims to know the constitution....

Mabye the first affirmative action president does not think the constitution applies to him.

I am in full agreement with you, but do you actually think that anyone in office has the balls to stand up to these constitution killing bastards?
Frankly I don't... look at how they have let Obama and Holder walk all over the rule of law... look at how they are letting Obama thumbs his nose at the border... look at how they let him enforece some laws but not others....

The Repubix do not have the intestinal fortitude to beat a traffic ticket in court.

Yep, it would be nice to know, but that won't happen any time soon.

(I think there will be things come out about this regime many years from now that will be staggering, but thats just me.)

Sorry, that is just too much like a conspiracy projection than anything else....

Sorry, but I can't quote the whole article.

If you read it (and it is from Salon.....not National Review), it says what a lot of people are saying.

Ginsburg wrote what she calls a dissent. She was prepped to put out a minority opinion. She whines about not getting a whack at the majority opinion.

That only happens if Roberts changes his mind.

As to the political pressure...you'll need to ask Salon.

I am saying that if that existed...someone is screwing with the separation of powers.

And the statement by the president could be just the tip of the iceburg. I am sure there are people out there looking into this and if there was some form of pressure applied, it's gonna get ugly.

:dunno:

I don't have any idea what on earth you are talking about... :2up:

Maybe he should quit, maybe he no longer has the stomach to be a right wing jerk.

Maybe Dick Cheney could take him and Ginsburg duck hunting !

It is not unusual for judges to fail to meet partisan expectations after they have occupied the position for a while.

A non-statement.

The guy who wrote the article is putting together a 2 plus 2 type of analysis using the decisions themselves.

Not to mention his weak reasoning itself....almost looking like he needed a reason and made one up.

Take on the article. I am not going to deal with assertions like this.

Sorry, but I can't quote the whole article.

If you read it (and it is from Salon.....not National Review), it says what a lot of people are saying.

Ginsburg wrote what she calls a dissent. She was prepped to put out a minority opinion. She whines about not getting a whack at the majority opinion.

That only happens if Roberts changes his mind.

As to the political pressure...you'll need to ask Salon.

I am saying that if that existed...someone is screwing with the separation of powers.

And the statement by the president could be just the tip of the iceburg. I am sure there are people out there looking into this and if there was some form of pressure applied, it's gonna get ugly.
if there was some sort of pressure that roberts succumbed to then Roberts was never cut out for the job of chief Justice and President Bush made a huge mistake in picking him.

and honestly, I don't see roberts as someone who succumbs to any kind of pressure....he's a tough cookie, I wouldn't cut him short.... I don't thoroughly understand his decision, but 10 to 1, he knows what he is doing and his choice did not come lightly, I'm sure it was thoroughly weighed by him.

the only pressure that roberts had on him was that he didn't want another decision to come down 5 to 4...

but the reality is also that he was correct in his statement that it is the obligation of the court to sustain laws passed by congress unless there is no lawful way to do so... even if you don't think a particular law is a good idea.

that's called being 'conservative'.

unlike the radicals like scalia and thomas.. (have to admit i'm kind of surprised by kennedy)

and as far as Gingsburg, she did disagree on part of the majority opinion, is what an update on your article said....and that can't be ruled out as easily as the opinion writer wants to....

Last edited:
and as far as Gingsburg, she did decent on part of the majority opinion, is what an update on your article said....and that can't be ruled out as easily as the opinion writer wants to....

She joined the majority.

From the web....

Nine times Scalia refers to Ginsburg’s opinion on the mandate not as a concurrence–agreeing with the result, but for different reasons–but as a “dissent”. An opinion that reaches the same result but by a different road is not a dissent. And there was not “a” dissent. There were three: Thomas’s, Ginsburg’s, and Scalia’s. When there are three dissents–two other dissents–to refer to one of them as “the” dissent is, at the least sloppy.
Is this deliberate–that Scalia wants us to know that his opinion was originally written to be the opinion of the Court? Or is this simply sloppy draftsmanship–chronic laziness at revision?

And what made Roberts peel off?

Inquiring minds want to know…

the only pressure that roberts had on him was that he didn't want another decision to come down 5 to 4...

but the reality is also that he was correct in his statement that it is the obligation of the court to sustain laws passed by congress unless there is no lawful way to do so... even if you don't think a particular law is a good idea.

unlike the radicals like scalia and thomas.. (have to admit i'm kind of surprised by kennedy)

Yet it was a 5-4 decision. Did someone hack your account to make you look like an idiot or did you really write that?

Yet it was a 5-4 decision. Did someone hack your account to make you look like an idiot or did you really write that?

:eusa_think:

Forum List

Back