CDZ Did Rhett Butler sexually assault Scarlett?

Many of my female friends have Gone With The Wind as a favorite movie.

Is this scene romantic, or is it sexual assault? Do women really want the lines redrawn concerning how men approach women?

. LOL.. Hollywood was at it back then just like it is today. Hollywood is the main gauge people have used to base modern day society on, and it has been mimicked over and over again throughout time by the generations. Has it got it right over the years or wrong ? According to law enforcement, it best not to try in real life hardly none of what Hollywood produces today, but whose counting anymore right ?

I've always considered Hollywood to be bonking mad!!

Greg

the phrase is "barking mad".
. I thought he said boinking mad.. lol

She needed a straight jacket and Rhett needed a woman that wasn't so needy and wackadoodle. I loathed Scarlett. LOVED Melly, and Rhett.

Rhett needed YOU, Gracie!!! We all know that.

Greg
He needed a mix of Scarlett and Melly both. Scarlett was too wackadoodle, Melly too sweet. Ashley was a powderpuff of a man, which is probably why Scarlett wanted him. Rhett was TOO much man for her. Her loss.
Hated the second book, too. Rhett would have never taken her back.

Soap Opera writers read too many historical romances. 99% of them were the man raping the woman and they fighting and screwing through the whole book until they realize they "loved each other". *gag*
But the history parts were pretty good, which is why I read them. I skimmed the corny parts. Well..except for the woman that turned pirate after being raped, then shaving off his penis with her own sword and cramming it down his throat. That was pretty cool. :D

Some great posts here. Another thing about the old movies is that if a woman received unwanted advances she slapped the crap out of someone. While this doesn’t cover all advances I think if a woman stood up for herself a lot of this stuff would fall by the wayside. It is not only men who have lost their manhood, it is the ladies too. A kick to the groin and a if you ever do that again the whole world is going to know about it threat is not only effective but empowering. A state I thought women wanted to be in.

For the record my wife has a picture of Rhett on the set sitting and drinking a bottle of milk and he still reeks sex appeal and we both think Gone With The
Wind is one of the greatest films of all time.

Did Rhett Butler sexually assault Scarlett?

Repeatedly ...

gwtw-scarlett-bed.jpg

Many of my female friends have Gone With The Wind as a favorite movie.

Is this scene romantic, or is it sexual assault? Do women really want the lines redrawn concerning how men approach women?

By today's standards it would certainly be considered that. Some of James Bond's scenes as well. Times have changed a lot.

But do women want the death of the alpha male?

Is being an "alpha male" necessarily synonymous with being a cad? I don't think so.

Some great posts here. Another thing about the old movies is that if a woman received unwanted advances she slapped the crap out of someone. While this doesn’t cover all advances I think if a woman stood up for herself a lot of this stuff would fall by the wayside. It is not only men who have lost their manhood, it is the ladies too. A kick to the groin and a if you ever do that again the whole world is going to know about it threat is not only effective but empowering. A state I thought women wanted to be in.

For the record my wife has a picture of Rhett on the set sitting and drinking a bottle of milk and he still reeks sex appeal and we both think Gone With The
Wind is one of the greatest films of all time.
Another thing about the old movies is that if a woman received unwanted advances she slapped the crap out of someone.

That they did, yet by the same token, old movies "socialized" the notion that with just one kiss a man could convert a woman to fancy him. Sorry, but I don't believe women were ever that "easy" or a kiss that powerful.

Soap Opera writers read too many historical romances. 99% of them were the man raping the woman and they fighting and screwing through the whole book until they realize they "loved each other". *gag*
But the history parts were pretty good, which is why I read them. I skimmed the corny parts. Well..except for the woman that turned pirate after being raped, then shaving off his penis with her own sword and cramming it down his throat. That was pretty cool. :D

:eek: What kind of books are you reading, woman?

In movies, television and cartoons/comics, characters routinely rise from the dead, for Christ's sake. Whether Rhett did or didn't isn't really the issue because Gone with the Wind is a work of fiction. Fiction may reflect reality, but no sane person takes fiction as their guide for how to live in reality.

I used to read historical romance..for the historical parts. The sexy stuff was corny.

I used to read historical romance..for the historical parts. The sexy stuff was corny.

Mmmm hmmm. Yeah sure. :lol:

Just like men read Playboy for the "articles." Right Gracie? :poke:

Lol! I'm just teasing! :D

But tis true! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the descriptions of castles, pirate ships, wars in foreign lands, cowboys and indians and all the maidens involved along with their gallant men they romp with..without reading the details of the rompings, lol.

"He felt her silky thighs and kissed her mount of venus"
"I wanted him to insert his mighty pulsing sword into my moist warm sheath"

Shit like that made me roll my eyes. So..I skimmed.:lol:

And..i wouldn't read ANY "romance" book that was later than 1850. I wanted to read the ones set in the 14th century and beyond. This is how I learned about Sultan Sulieman the Magnificent. Book is called The Kadin.

But tis true! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the descriptions of castles, pirate ships, wars in foreign lands, cowboys and indians and all the maidens involved along with their gallant men they romp with..without reading the details of the rompings, lol.

I know. My mom used to read Harlequin Romance Novels. Lol!

Watch out, you are going to probably excite some of the guys around here talking all dirty like that! :lol:

I hated Harlequin. They were set in this century and last century. I wanted to learn the HISTORY of the settings much much earlier. And I did. :)

I write historical fiction. I use mostly real characters. My women are all badass killers, deeply flawed, who all but rape, and sometimes rape, unwilling or marginally willing men.

Forum List

Back