Did Perry's 53 second Brain-fart End His Run?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
NoStupidPeople.jpg

I remember when I was in front of the E6 board I had a similar brain-fart. I forgot the answer to a question.

Well, it was on the tip of my tongue, but I just couldn't spit it out. I knew the rest of the questions, no problem, but for some strange reason the key word to an answer totally escaped me. So to stall I asked the SGM to rephrase the question. While he was attempting to rephrase the question the answer came to me and I blurted it out. They knocked 2 points off my score leaving me with a 198 instead of a perfect 200, which I later learned they really wanted to give me.

Seriously, these things happen. Perry seemed to be doing well until he couldn't remember that one of the 3 departments he wanted to eliminate was the Dept. of Energy. Problem is, with Obama we can't afford to have these kinds of mishaps . We need someone that will tie his lying ass into knots. It doesn't matter that Perry's state is responsible for most of the jobs Obama claims to have created. He keeps screwing these debates up. It's gonna be tough enough beating him with all of his money, armies of lawyers and protestors, and his media helping him. We can't have someone up there that seems as stupid Liberals always claim Republicans stereotypically are.

So I think Perry is toast.

Course Perry can't be as stupid as the folks that think Obama has less to do with the economy than Bush.

obama-economy-stupid-140x140.jpg

Rick Perry swiftly came to the spin room after the end of the GOP debate Wednesday night and directly told reporters that he screwed up on stage.

"I'm glad I had my boots on tonight," Perry said. "I stepped in it out there."
Continue Reading

Perry froze up on stage as he attempted to list the three federal departments he planned to cut, naming Education and Commerce but forgetting the Department of Energy.

Said Perry: "I may have forgotten Energy, but I haven't forgotten my conservative principles."

Asked by a reporter if that moment was embarrassing, Perry said: "I stepped in it, man. Yeah, it was embarrassing. Of course it was."

He told reporters, however, that he would not reconsider his debate performance in light of tonight's fumble.

Read more: Rick Perry on debate gaffe: 'I stepped in it' - Alexander Burns - POLITICO.com

Asking if Perry was embarrassed was just as retarded.

It's similar to asking him "Just how stupid are you".

The problem is, your average voter doesn't have the good sense your SGM had.

The thing is, not that he's made gaffe's, but that gaffes have become the narrative of his campaign, and this was a big one.

And Romney "helpfully" suggesting EPA as the third agency to be eliminated, which Perry agree with and then immediately had to walk back, probably hurt him as well.

So Cain's imploding, Romney's unacceptable to the vast majority of Republicans, and Perry has proven he simply can't play the game at this level.

Which kind of leaves us with Gingrich.

It was exactly the kind of forgetful moment I have on a regular basis. In the current climate, however, it was probably the final nail in an already-sealed coffin. It's kind of disappointing that we define a candidate by a momentary memory lapse instead of the breadth of his policy prescriptions.

I'm clearly no fan of Perry, but on some points I actually found him to be quite smart and honest. Ah well.

I saw the clip. They've been playing it all morning on CNBC and its pretty bad.

I felt bad for the guy, in the same way I feel bad for watching an unfunny comedian onstage - you just wish he'd get off and stop.

It's hard to believe he will be the nominee but it has been probably the weirdest primary election I've ever seen, so you never know.

Some days you get the bear some days the bear gets you.

If Perry's overall proformance is good, one gaff won't sink him.

It was exactly the kind of forgetful moment I have on a regular basis. In the current climate, however, it was probably the final nail in an already-sealed coffin. It's kind of disappointing that we define a candidate by a momentary memory lapse instead of the breadth of his policy prescriptions.

I'm clearly no fan of Perry, but on some points I actually found him to be quite smart and honest. Ah well.

I think if it were the only thing, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But it is not.

I think if it were the only thing, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But it is not.

True. He really should have taken his own advice and skipped some debates:lol:

Some days you get the bear some days the bear gets you.

If Perry's overall proformance is good, one gaff won't sink him.

In the history books, I think this might be the moment that ends up defining him. Very much in the same way that Howard Dean is defined by his outburst after the Iowa caucus. In both cases, the candidate was in big trouble long before the moment, but the moment comes to define the downfall.

True. He really should have taken his own advice and skipped some debates:lol:

Or just speaking in public in general...

I feel bad for Rick Perry. He's certainly not the man I want in the Oval Office who gets that 3am call ie, red button call.. I think this run may have harmed his entire political career. He seems like a genuinely very kind man and I wish he and his family the best.

Plenty of people have this happen. And I suspect people are sympathetic. In any case, people have a short memory and this will fade quickly.

obama has completely gaffed up many speeches. It never hurt him, but he's not a republican. Months ago democrats knew that obama could not be reelected on his record. The only thing they could do is to make all the republican candidates appear to be unfit. They are doing an excellent job of that one.

It's no mystery that you would connect with Perry, after all he is a liberal in a "rino" costume.

People who have had to engage in public speaking (one of the great stress events in daily life for lots of people) probably have all had moments like that.

On the other hand, most of us aren't running for President of the United States.

Overall, that embarrassing performance seems to capture the essence of his campaign.

So, my impression is that the people who might feel a sense of pity for the fact that he had to suffer through that embarrassment are not going to "just forget it."

It appears to me that this might be the capstone to his campaign. Stick a fork in it. It's done.

Forum List

Back