Did Obama Vote for the Debt He "Inherited"

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
The Democrats took control of Congress in 2006, yes?

Obama was a Senator from 2004 - 2008 when the Democrats took control?

Senators vote on laws and budgets yes?

So the question is, did Obama vote for the Debt he whines about "Inheriting"?

That depends....

Barack Obama Votes With President Bush
September 15, 2008 · Filed Under Joe Biden, John McCain, News

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

The Barack Obama campaign is running their campaign on the scare tactic that John McCain is the same as President Bush. This assertion is based on Senator McCain’s voting record in 2007 where Team Obama touts that McCain votes with Bush 90% of the time.

But what is Obama failing to say?

First of all, George Bush is not in the Legislative Branch, and doesn’t actually vote on laws with McCain, Obama and Biden.

As you (hopefully) know, Congress votes on bills and they go to the desk of the President to either be signed or vetoed.

So, if we are going to be intellectually honest, nobody is ever voting with President Bush.

The numbers we keep hearing are based on votes where the Bush administration had taken a clear position on before the vote, as estimated by the Congressional Quarterly.

The same report from the Congressional Quarterly reveals that Obama voted “with Bush” 40 percent of the time.

Joe Biden voted “with Bush” 52 percent of the time.

It’s also important to note that these sorts of tallies can only count when a Senator votes yes or no on a law.

Obama didn’t vote over 40 percent of the time since he’s been in the Senate - that’s 228 of the 568 times he could have voted, according to Project Vote Smart.

Rather than taking a stance on issues, he voted “NV”, which means Not Voting, Excused, Absent, or Present.

Based on the Project Vote Smart records, some areas where Obama likes to avoid having an opinion:

Abortion Issues - 75% NV
Agriculture Issues - 86% NV
Budget, Spending and Taxes - 54% NV
Business and Consumers - 47% NV
Civil Liberties and Civil Rights - 44% NV
Defense - 29% NV
Education - 55% NV
Energy Issues - 35% NV
Environmental Issues - 64% NV
Family and Children Issues - 50% NV
Foreign Aid and Policy Issues - 56% NV
Gun Issues - 25% NV
Health Issues - 67% NV
Housing and Property Issues - 100% NV
National Security Issues - 39% NV
Reproductive Issues - 75% NV
Technology and Communication - 33% NV
Trade Issues - 38% NV
Transportation Issues - 63% NV
Veterans Issues - 34% NV
Welfare and Poverty - 64% NV
Women’s Issues - 67% NV
I’ve got to wonder how closely aligned Barack Obama would be with Bush if he was showing up and voting for a full work week.

http://obama2.com/archives/barack-obama-votes-with-president-bush/

An argument could easily be made that a "no vote" IS a vote -- to do NOTHING, to say NOTHING about the problem. That being the case, Obama deserves to inherit whatever problems he has.

It is not that he did not know regardless. Besides I don't think to many legislators are concerned about the debt they have been building in this country. Too many are still working on filling their pockets or their constituents pockets at this point to make a difference or even try to make a difference.

I doubt it junior was gone a week after he got there,, had better things to do..:eusa_whistle:

I if you want to believe that with his one vote Obama means he was able to craft legislation and a budget that reflected his personal preferences and objectives.

But the debt was alread at about $9 trillion before he took office. He didn't vote for that.

It doesn't matter one bit how he voted now... he OWNS this economy... he's gotten EVERYTHING HE'S WANTED. The spending has been RAMPANT, and it's ALL HIS. When this country is in the tiolet six months, a year, two years from now.... IT'S ALL ON OBLAHMA!

Iriemon:
I if you want to believe that with his one vote Obama means he was able to craft legislation and a budget that reflected his personal preferences and objectives.

But the debt was alread at about $9 trillion before he took office. He didn't vote for that.

Let me see if I can 'splain this to you. IF Obama voted FOR Bush's budget(s), and other appropriations that contributed to that debt [before Obama took office], that would make Obama responsible for the debt that he "inherited" [after Obama took office]. It is Congress that votes on/approves the expenditures, ya know.... Even when they [Congress] vote on/approve more than was requested....

Iriemon:

Let me see if I can 'splain this to you. IF Obama voted FOR Bush's budget(s), and other appropriations that contributed to that debt [before Obama took office], that would make Obama responsible for the debt that he "inherited" [after Obama took office]. It is Congress that votes on/approves the expenditures, ya know.... Even when they [Congress] vote on/approve more than was requested....

The fallacy is the assumption that a vote for something means that it is what you want. Many people voted for McCain, for example, not because he was their ideal candidate and promised everything they way they wanted, but because it was the best option from their perspective.

Same when a Senator votes for something like a budget. The budget he votes on is a compromise of many parties with an interest, and not least of all the WH because with its veto it can stop the whole budget if it doesn't like it. So any budget Obama voted on necessarily reflected a compromise with other senators, the House, and the WH all of which had influence in what was in the bill.

If every senator voted against a bill because it wasn't what they personally wanted would never get anything passed. And then the govt would shut down, and there would be a real mess.

So to say that because Obama voted for a budget that he is therefor "responsible for it is a misimplication. Obama was only a very small cog in who was "responsible" for the budget.

Iriemon:

The fallacy is the assumption that a vote for something means that it is what you want. Many people voted for McCain, for example, not because he was their ideal candidate and promised everything they way they wanted, but because it was the best option from their perspective.

Same when a Senator votes for something like a budget. The budget he votes on is a compromise of many parties with an interest, and not least of all the WH because with its veto it can stop the whole budget if it doesn't like it. So any budget Obama voted on necessarily reflected a compromise with other senators, the House, and the WH all of which had influence in what was in the bill.

If every senator voted against a bill because it wasn't what they personally wanted would never get anything passed. And then the govt would shut down, and there would be a real mess.

So to say that because Obama voted for a budget that he is therefor "responsible for it is a misimplication. Obama was only a very small cog in who was "responsible" for the budget.

i can't believe you honestly believe what you just typed....obama is not responsible, though he voted for the budgets, because obama didn't really believe in the expenditures...wtf? it amazes the logical leaps you obama lovers go to in defending him...obama is not even responsible for his own votes....unbelievable

and if obama didn't believe in expenditures, he sure didn't have any problem out spending bush his first budget proposal....

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Iriemon:

i can't believe you honestly believe what you just typed....obama is not responsible, though he voted for the budgets, because obama didn't really believe in the expenditures...wtf? it amazes the logical leaps you obama lovers go to in defending him...obama is not even responsible for his own votes....unbelievable

and if obama didn't believe in expenditures, he sure didn't have any problem out spending bush his first budget proposal....

You know what, I did some research, and Obama did not vote for Bush's 2006 budget.

But McCain did. Along with all but a few Republicans.

$2.8 trillion budget narrowly passes U.S. Senate - Mar. 17, 2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/17/politics/17spend.html

So I look forward to seeing posts from you guys railing about how McCain and the Republicans are responsible for the national debt.

Last edited:

You know what, I did some research, and Obama did not vote for Bush's 2006 budget.

So I look forward to seeing posts from you guys railing about how McCain and the Republicans are responsible for the national debt.
REALLY????

guess what, thats exactly why they lost in 2006
you really are out of touch with reality

Obama's annual budget next year has a deficit of 2 trillion. So it took well over 200 years to accumulate 9 trillion and in one year Obama is expanding by over 20%. You don't see a problem with that?

The 2006 budget wasn't Bush's it was the Democratic congresses unless you believe them to be even bigger weanies than I think they are. Congress passes budget presidents don't.

The 2006 budget wasn't Bush's it was the Democratic congresses unless you believe them to be even bigger weanies than I think they are. Congress passes budget presidents don't.
the dems didnt take over control till jan 2007
this was a GOP budget

so now you are changing your tune....first he did vote for it, but didn't mean it...you will do anything to defend him...

btw, your links say nada about obama...

and what about 2005, 2007, 2008....

stop deflecting on republicans, we are already upset at them, this is solely about obama saying he inherited the deficit when in reality he voted right along with the deficit...why don't you address that...

obama's voting record:

Voted NO on paying down federal debt by rating programs' effectiveness. (Mar 2007)
Voted NO on $40B in reduced federal overall spending. (Dec 2005)

why don't you post up a link that obama did not vote to approve the budgets and thus the deficits....

Obama's annual budget next year has a deficit of 2 trillion. So it took well over 200 years to accumulate 9 trillion and in one year Obama is expanding by over 20%. You don't see a problem with that?

It was 10.7 trillion when he took office. But sure I see a problem with it.

The Democrats didn't control Congress in 2006.

The post I responded to asserted Obama voted for the budgets. At least in 2006 that was not true.

Forum List

Back