Did Obama End Combat in Iraq or Not?...

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Today:

CTCentral - News from the Associated Press

BAGHDAD (AP) -- U.S. and Iraqi forces launched a joint raid in the former insurgent stronghold of Fallujah early Wednesday, killing seven people, Iraqi officials said.

President Barack Obama declared the end of combat operations in Iraq on Sept. 1 when the number of American troops fell below 50,000. The remaining soldiers can fire to defend themselves and their bases. Their primary focus is on training Iraqi security forces and taking part in operations hunting insurgents only at the request of the Iraqi government.

---

So which is it?...

Seriously, I'm Confused about this.

:)

peace...

Combat brigades have been removed. That doesn't mean that the remaining troops will see no combat. It also doesn't mean that US forces will fail to support Iraqi operations, combat and otherwise.

US forces won't lead combat operations.

Combat brigades have been removed. That doesn't mean that the remaining troops will see no combat. It also doesn't mean that US forces will fail to support Iraqi operations, combat and otherwise.

If only you would have Supported the Previous President this way...

There might be more People Alive today!... :thup:

Let me know when you want to Discuss the Bold/Larger type in the AP Story in my OP.

That's Specifically what I was Taking Issue with.

But you did a halfway Decent Job of Spinning for the Party. :clap2:

peace...

What the fuck are you talking about? Who said I support this plan by Obama?

If everyone else had NOT supported the previous president's war plan as I did NOT support the president's plan, there would be thousands more people alive today.

Last edited:

Then Stop Excusing it and Distracting from the Purpose of this Thread...

I Highlighted the Issue I have in the OP with the AP...

peace...

peace...

You asked a question. I answered it. I didn't "Excuse" anything.

the remaining troops are combat brigades; they've just been redesignated as advisory brigades. personally, i think it's a sleazy politically driven ploy to *designate* them as such, but i'm glad that they're able to defend themselves.

The Army has three different standard brigade combat teams: infantry, Stryker and heavy. To build an Advise and Assist Brigade, the Army selects one of these three and puts it through special training before deploying....

To prepare for their mission in Iraq, heavy, infantry and Stryker brigades receive specialized training that can include city management courses, civil affairs training and border patrol classes.

As far as equipment goes, the brigades either brought their gear with them or used equipment left behind that is typical to their type of brigade, said Ratcliff.

Combat brigades in Iraq under different name - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

obama can no more end combat in iraq than king canute could command the tides-only a rube would think otherwise

peace...

You asked a question. I answered it. I didn't "Excuse" anything.

You really Believe that, don't you?... :rofl:

peace...

Holy shit you're dumb. Let's review:

you said:
"U.S. and Iraqi forces launched a joint raid in the former insurgent stronghold of Fallujah early Wednesday, killing seven people.....

American troops fell below 50,000. The remaining soldiers can fire to defend themselves and their bases.

---

So which is it?

I replied:

in other words, it's both. No one said US forces would no longer see combat -that's your own wetdreaming.

[/QUOTE]

peace...

hope this helps-good luck

Will Meek PhD: Counseling Psychologist & Therapist in Vancouver WA

NO. Bush, Junior ended the war in Iraq. Ask any Republican or Conservative or Tea Bagger.

It's kind of like Mission Accomplished.

The combat mission was accomplished...

Only it wasn't.

Only it wasn't.

Ah... The USS Lincoln's Mission End... I Remember it like it was Yesterday... Longest Mission of it's Life...

peace...

Paulie, et al,

The entire concept of the Iraq War (Liberation, etc) is subjective and very controversial; to say the least. The notion of "success" is undefined. Different evaluators see this from different perspectives, and through lenses that refract the light of success in alternatives ways.

Only it wasn't.
(COMMENT)

If one looks at the convensional military conflict, and Regime Change, then most evaluators would say, the term of engagement was an "unqualified success" for Allied Forces (AKA: CJTF-7 and all support elements).

In another sense, if you included the post-conflict phase, then the outside observer cannot fully evaluate the mission in terms of success or failure; because the end-state has not been achieved. All that can be said, is that the stated expectations have not been aquired.

If the evaluation is based on the National Strategy, then clearly, the evaluator must do a comparative analysis between the actual ground truth (now) and the defined steps outlined in the strategy:

Victory in Iraq is Defined in Stages
  • Short term, Iraq is making steady progress in fighting terrorists, meeting political milestones, building democratic institutions, and standing up security forces.
  • Medium term, Iraq is in the lead defeating terrorists and providing its own security, with a fully constitutional government in place, and on its way to achieving its economic potential.
  • Longer term, Iraq is peaceful, united, stable, and secure, well integrated into the international community, and a full partner in the global war on terrorism.
In this case, the post-conflict stage is still in the short-term range. All the more recent word pictures presented by GEN Odienro (and others) indicates that US Political-Military Advise & Assistance (over $1T using our best Military and Diplomatic Minds) have yet to achieve any results beyond the initial Short-term starting point.

It is clearly not meeting the Medium term criteria:
  • Iraq is not fully leading the the fight against terrorists, in fact it still requires US Advisors and support.
  • While it is providing for some of its security needs, there are still an array of US Advisors in the area of local security, insurgency suppression, border security and airport security.
  • It clearly cannot manage this on its own. Personnel still depend on a Rhino to get them back and forth between the old Green Zone (now Pink), and the Air port/Camp Victory. It does not have a Constitutional Government in place.
  • The elections were late and the outcome is undetermined.
Iraq making steady progress in fighting terrorists, meeting political milestones, building democratic institutions, and standing up security forces, are KEY to even the most basic short term objectives. Instead, what we find today is something very different.
  • The Iraqi Constitution calls for Islam to be the source of all legislation. (Islamic State) All we need is a radical cleric to be in charge.
  • Iraq’s elections were 7 months ago with no government in place yet.
  • Former PM Ayad Allawi, wins, but is blocked-out.
  • Current PM Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, loses, but is still in power.
  • Current PM makes a deal with Terrorist Cleric via Iranian intervention.
  • Currently, SOI/Awakening element are slipping away (from the GOI/ISF) to the insurgents.

One has to look at the question in an unemotional and cold evaluation of the facts, as they are, and not how we would like them to be.

(REMEMBER) With the strange attachments our creation is making in the open, we are still planning:

BAGHDAD --- The Pentagon has proposed selling arms worth $4.2 billion to Iraq as it drives to bolster the country's new-era military amid the U.S. withdrawal and to provide Persian Gulf states with massive infusions of advanced weaponry to stand up to Iran.

The package proposed by the Department of Defense this week includes 18 Lockheed Martin F-16 strike jets, Raytheon AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air, heat-seeking missiles for dogfighting, laser-guided bombs and reconnaissance equipment.

The Pentagon said the sale would make Baghdad "a more valuable partner in an important area of the world as well as supporting Iraq's legitimate needs" regarding self-defense.

QUESTION: Now how much sense does that make when the Prime Minister of Iraq is in bed with Iran and Syria, not to mention, the anti-American Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr?

We need to retract, in our entirety and let Iraq choose its own destiny. Our best and brightest (Military & Foreign Service) has botched this up to a degree that is almost unimaginable, if I hadn't lived through it and been there. Worse than Vietnam.

Most Respectfully,
R

Forum List

Back