did not try to make pets of fawns and other little wild things

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
there is a really cute thread showing a video of a fawn coming thru a cat door....

cute...but you know the fawn has been trained and taken in....do not remove fawns from the woods...if you come on one..laying down...leave it be..the doe has left it there and will return for it...many states outlaw totally have a pet deer unless you have a license and have a complete paper work trail showing where and how you got the fawn....in nc if you do not have the paper work...the wildlifes agents will come in and kill your deer...o the horror but they have their reason....there is a disease attacking deer...i dont know the full real name...we call it the bleeding disease...you will find a dead deer and its tongue is all bloody and swollen....the wildlife guys are trying to prevent this from spreading...i know this due to working on a farm that was okayed for raising fawns...when they were orphaned wildlife agents would call...and bring them to the farm.

a lady who raised fawns got them illegally...the agents had to come in...kill her deer ..(they do not enjoy having to do this...the agents hate killing deer to save them)..she was arrested in the fight that ensued....take the deer's brains out and send them off for testing...dont put yourself in that mess....leave the fawns alone...

BTW, I have no sympathy for the wildlife assholes. I lived out in the middle of nowhere, and occasionally would come across an injured bird of prey. I rescued a long eared owl with a broken wing, and a red tail hawk, and a sparrow hawk baby my dog caught. In all instances I called the vet, then the state police, to find out who could take the animals.

They had no clue, and didn't know what to tell me. The hawk I kept in the pantry (it had windows) and fed chicken until it was strong enough to be put back where I got it. It's weird because it's family recognized it. They swooped down and it flew away with them (there was a whole bunch of them who lived there).

The owl I took to the vet, who then put it with a bird rescue outfit, who were able to rehab and re-release it. The hawk was picked up by a STATE COP who then took it to the rehab.

So I'm sitting at my house at around 7:30 at night and the phone rings. Some ASSHOLE was on the other line telling me it's illegal to have birds of prey and telling me I'm supposed to report it to Fish and Game or whatever. 7:30 at night? Was he flipping drinking? I think he was. I explained that I'd called the State Police and nobody could give me a name or a number, and I'd turned the birds over to the vet and the police.

Anyway, he was a class A pig about it. I laughed at him and hung up. What a puke.

they have to test the deer for the bleeding disease....unfortunately the only test is a test ran on their brains...let me see if i can find a url on this

East Tennessee deer feeling effects of EHD : Outdoors : Knoxville News Sentinel

they are simply trying to stop the spread of this...and other diseases...i feel for the agents they dont make the laws but end up having to enforce them...

but i know what you are saying about raptors...luckily we have an rescue for birds only in this area....i take any dead birds i find...if not too decayed to the local university to the bio people..they fight over who gets them...well the dead raptors

Why on earth do they "have" to test them any more than they "have" to test wild deer?

See, this is where the wildlife commission and I part ways. There's no reason to kill those animals. They just can't stand the thought of anyone besides themselves interfering.

that is a good question....why take the captive deers unless they show symptoms....but i looked into a deer urine farm...the laws are just too complex

I live and work in a recreation area deep in the forest. There is a meadow where the elk drop thier calves in the springtime. We always tell people when they come to the store and tell us there is a lost baby elk not to touch it. But, usually they do, thinking it needs rescued. Nature takes care of the animals, and usually when people get involved the animals die. When a cow elk drops a calf she will usually do so in the morning and go into cover not far away for the day, and come to recover the calf ay dusk. i have watched it happen over and over again.
The unknowing people that mean well killed at least 2 calves last spring that i know of, just by touching them. When mama comes back if junior smells like a human, she won't take them back.

Well, in the cases that Strolling is describing, the deer get killed when the game commission gets involved.

And the birds I saved would have died if I'd left them as the asshole who called me at night told me to. As it is, at least two of them survived. I think the redtail was toast.

hmmm isnt that a big misnomer..that the doe wont take them back....i have picked up and carried a fawn...out of traffic...all the rubberneckers had separated the fawn and it was in the road...i picked it up and carried it to the place we saw the mom go into...she took it back....and why would you watch a rejected baby just die? cant you call wildlife?

Not as far as I know. I'm sure if a call goes out, and they happen to come across one then they'll do it, but the truth is, there aren't many places that need or want deer or elk. Game wardens are always big on killing rather than saving.

But heaven help you if you poach!

we had two squirrels when I was a kid.. Those fuckers WILL bite.

Forum List

Back