Did Newt Gingrich Out Brit Hume’s Dead Gay Son?

What's the problem? Everything became fair game after that univision asswhipe went after Rubio over his cousin I think it was three decades back for a cocaine possession.

Game on.

My website will be up and running within 2 weeks so I can get every bit of dirt on every media personality and their families.

Hey. What's good for the goose right? I want every bit of dirt from every media person reporting on every political individual.

I am so looking forward to this.

does it matter, edwards outted Cheneys daughter, so?

R U cheering?

Mary Cheney looks more manly than Chaz Bono. No one needed to "out" her.

Oh shut up. What a horrid thing to say.

That's not funny at all. Not at all. I know many just drop dead beautiful women that are gay. It's not fair to play that card. Not at all.

And you know what? I probably could play hockey against Chaz and be thrilled. How you look doesnt define who you are. And I'm thrilled that the Chaz's sp? and the Mary Cheney's are out there fighting for equality.

Thanks for the interesting post and info. I wasnt aware of any of this. And, i really like Britt Hume and that is sad to hear this happened to his family. But, for the connection with Newt, what type of info was going to be put out?

R U cheering?

No, he didn't. It was already common knowledge and Edwards was saying nice things about the Cheneys and their daughter in the comment. Apparently some people don't even want the word gay mentioned except as an insult...which is how they see it.

Get real. When Edwards and Kerry went after Cheney's daughter, the intent was to drive a wedge between fundies and the ticket. Democrats aren't above gay-bashing when it serves their purposes.

It completely backfired on them because people generally don't like it when you go after families. Something Mittens needs to keep in mind if he wants to keep going after Newt's family life.

Did Newt Gingrich Out Brit Hume’s Dead Gay Son?

Out of nowhere, the Miami Herald has dusted off and expanded upon one of Washington's oldest and juiciest political rumors: The one about a rising young beltway journalist and his gay affair with a powerful GOP congressman, and how the journalist shot himself in the head when his lover's political rival threatened to out them. According to the Herald, that rival may have been Newt Gingrich.

The rumor, in brief, is as follows: In the summer of 1997, the Hill's Sandy Hume—the then-28-year-old son of Fox News' Brit Hume—broke a blockbuster story about four GOP congressman who plotted, and failed, to overthrow Newt Gingrich as Speaker. One of those men was Bill Paxon, a New York Republican who was married to fellow Congresswoman Susan Molinari. Another of the plotters, Majority Leader Dick Armey, scuttled the coup when he learned that Paxon, and not he, would replace Gingrich. Armey later disavowed the whole attempt and claimed not to have been involved.

A few months later, in February 1998, Paxon launched an attempt to unseat Armey from his leadership position. Just days later, Sandy Hume killed himself with a gunshot to the head. Just days after that, Paxon suddenly and inexplicably resigned and never returned to public life. Almost immediately, rumors began flying that Hume and Paxon had been having an affair, and that Armey had threatened to out them. Hence the suicide and the sudden resignation. The theory was common knowledge among the D.C. press corps, but it never made it to print (as far as I can tell) beyond the dark corners of the internet and an angry passage, years later, in Joe Scarborough's Rome Wasn't Burnt in a Day accusing Armey of smearing Hume. (Scarborough's take was later picked up in this Huffington Post piece.)

But today, pegged to a conference call with Molinari organized by the Romney campaign and designed to bash Newt Gingrich, the Miami Herald's Marc Caputo has rehashed the "imbroglia" in a blog post, shining more light on the rumor (though without any reporting) than it has seen in more than a decade. But Caputo adds a new wrinkle to the tale: "Some" blame Gingrich, and not just Armey, he says, for the threat to go public with information about Hume and Paxon's alleged relationship.

About the same time, rumors surfaced that Hume and Paxon had been involved in a a gay affair. Some (namely MSNBC's Joe Scarborough) blamed Armey for leaking the information to stop Paxon. Some blamed Gingrich, since he benefitted most. Some blamed them both for the rumor.

Because South Florida is New York's sixth borough, word of the Paxon-Gingrich-Hume imbroglia has been the subject of whispers by some political operatives tied to the Empire State (Paxon was a Buffalo rep.). It's almost impossible to know just what specifically happened all those years ago, but there's clearly deep scar tissue here that gainsays a simple political narrative that will unfold on a 30 minute conference call.

If true, of course, Gingrich's role in Sandy Hume's suicide is likely the cause of some behind-the-scenes agita at Fox News, where Sandy's father is an emeritus anchor and still a frequent on-screen analyst. The GOP field seems increasingly to be narrowing down to Mitt Romney versus the guy who may have caused one of Fox's most beloved on-air personalities to suffer a personal tragedy beyond measure.

Gingrich is sub human, such a gossipy bitch. Of course Dick Army just had to be involved.

Wow, desperation is deep with this one.

I think it's stupidity. It's a 12 year old rumor. If the Democrats are running on 12year old rumors they have big problems because the GOP is going to run on the economy.

If Newt is the candidate, unfortunately we're not going to be talking about the economy much. Get used to this stuff.

Actually reading Synthies smear, there's an awful lot of supposition there.

Guy, do you realize the more folks on the left smear Newt, the better the right likes him?

Yeah, but it takes a WHOLE lot of supposition to come up with "Obama is a Kenyan"... :D

The right doesn't pick the President, just their candidate. The rest of the country picks the President. How do you REALLY think Newt is going to fare on the National stage?

On the GOP side the top two candidates are:

Romney (he of the 1%) and Gingrich (the lobbyist for the 1%)

:D

What's the problem? Everything became fair game after that univision asswhipe went after Rubio over his cousin I think it was three decades back for a cocaine possession.

Game on.

My website will be up and running within 2 weeks so I can get every bit of dirt on every media personality and their families.

Hey. What's good for the goose right? I want every bit of dirt from every media person reporting on every political individual.

I am so looking forward to this.

Oh! Really! We can't wait!

Is there any evidence of this at all? What was in the OP I don't think would even count as circumstantial. If there is no further proof it should be dropped and forgotten about.

No proof whatesover. Just rumor and innuendo. And at 12 years old, who the hell cares?

Why?

Gingrich is running for president.

And he's not only an awful politician but a disgusting indivdual.

Guy, do you realize the more folks on the left smear Newt, the better the right likes him?

Yeah, but it takes a WHOLE lot of supposition to come up with "Obama is a Kenyan"... :D

The right doesn't pick the President, just their candidate. The rest of the country picks the President. How do you REALLY think Newt is going to fare on the National stage?

:D

Yep.

And both are more then willing to throw the rest of the 99% into the lake of fire to support the 1%.

Wow, desperation is deep with this one.

I think it's stupidity. It's a 12 year old rumor. If the Democrats are running on 12year old rumors they have big problems because the GOP is going to run on the economy.

If Newt is the candidate, unfortunately we're not going to be talking about the economy much. Get used to this stuff.

I think the whole Marrianne Bomb showed that the voters don't care about this kind of crap... especially when it's this tangental. Romney threw everything he had at Gingrich, and at the end of the day, the voters still found him preferable to a Weird Mormon Robot.

Outside of places like TownHall and other loony bins, I really didn't see anyone who actually thought Obama was born in Kenya.

Again, I think Obama does have an advantage in being the incumbant, but this will all come down to the economy. If people are feeling better, they'll give Obama a second term. If they feel, hey, the economy is still shit, they are going to show him the door.

My worry is that the 1% really wants Romney, but they are a little wary of Gingrich and his populism of late. If they get Romney as the nominee, they might well trigger a double dip to get him elected.

I also think that if you don't really believe Obama is as much in the pocket of the 1% as the other two, you are kidding yourself. Just look at a list of Obama's top donors.

R U cheering?

No, he didn't. It was already common knowledge and Edwards was saying nice things about the Cheneys and their daughter in the comment. Apparently some people don't even want the word gay mentioned except as an insult...which is how they see it.

I often find that very odd myself. Posters on this forum, left and right, desperately try to insult others by calling them 'gay'. I've been "accused" of being gay on the board. I thought it was funny because, if you think that 'insults' me, you could not be more wrong. I'm not gay, but I have no issue with being 'accused' of it.

* The term "you" is used as 'board members', not bodecea as an individual.

I think the whole Marrianne Bomb showed that the voters don't care about this kind of crap... especially when it's this tangental. Romney threw everything he had at Gingrich, and at the end of the day, the voters still found him preferable to a Weird Mormon Robot.

... in South Carolina amongst Republicans.

Finished that for you.

In the meantime, Newt lost badly in Iowa and New Hampshire.

The Democrats are winning if we aren't talking about the economy. We will be talking much less about the economy if Newt is the nominee. If Newt is the nominee, we will be talking a whole lot about Newt.

And Newt's negatives are consistently amongst the highest of all the Republican candidates.

True story.

[
... in South Carolina amongst Republicans.

Finished that for you.

In the meantime, Newt lost badly in Iowa and New Hampshire.

The Democrats are winning if we aren't talking about the economy. We will be talking much less about the economy if Newt is the nominee. If Newt is the nominee, we will be talking a whole lot about Newt.

And Newt's negatives are consistently amongst the highest of all the Republican candidates.

True story.

So what?

New Hampshire and Iowa are not as important as SC. People have won Iowa (Huckabee, Bush-41 in 1980, dole in 1988) and gone on to lose the nomination. McCain came in fourth in Iowa and still took the nomination. Ditto with NH. Neither state is the be all and end all. Bill Clinton lost both states in 1992 (IA to Harken, NH to Tsongas) and still won the nomination.

If Romney's the nominee, we will be talking about the economy, all right, but it won't be in a good way for republicans. It will be a reminder that people like Romney were the ones who stole the middle class, boxed it up and shipped it to China and left us all with McJobs without benefits.

Obama wants to have that argument, and frankly I don't blame him.

Forum List

Back