Did money buy the election or not?

Was money what made the biggest difference between winning or losing?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Both money and ideas equally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain in the topic why)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Munin

VIP Member
Dec 5, 2008
This has been the most expensive election in human history, 6 billion $ spend in total (1 billion by each campaign and another 4 by interest groups on both sides)

My question now is, if the $ have become the main factor to take into account in future elections.

Yes Romney is a millionaire, but his party financial system didn't allow him as much money as Obama. And Obama is a better fundraiser then Romney (at least over the years), he also has a better party financial system that allows him to spend more. Obama is also able to get more from individual middle income families (as he was able to prove in the mccain ellection).

This has been the most expensive election in human history, 6 billion $ spend in total (1 billion by each campaign and another 4 by interest groups on both sides)

My question now is, if the $ have become the main factor to take into account in future elections.

Yes Romney is a millionaire, but his party financial system didn't allow him as much money as Obama. And Obama is a better fundraiser then Romney (at least over the years), he also has a better party financial system that allows him to spend more. Obama is also able to get more from individual middle income families (as he was able to prove in the mccain ellection).

Well part of that was Romney was working on matching funds, which Obama did not....so he couldnt spend any money until after the convention.....that hurt, but we'll have to see....People said after Citizen United it was the evil corporations that would rule everything, and unless they backed Obama, it's false

I think the campaign adds on TV won the campaign, most people don't follow elections as closely as the people here on the forums. They get more easely influenced by outside information like adds

Mitt Romney not being the most charming personality also helped to enforce his flaws rather than him being able to enforce his strengths he had to defend himself and try to pose as not being the rich millionaire that is out of touch with the common folk: "basically he s the guy with the bank account in Switserland" and according to the polls that seemed to have worked (asked a question in a poll: who's interests do you think Romney will protect the most the poll showed that the rich and that ROmney favoured the Rich above the middle class and the poor by a large margin (the 3 choices were: Rich, middle class and poor)

Obama had more middle class support as he was seen more as the middle class and the poor class supporter (which is probably the reason why reps came up with the strategy to brand him a communist, as most Americans fail to grasp the meaning of the word it wouldn't matter if it was true or not)

Last edited:
I vote NO.

I vote NO because both parties spend billions thus negating each other's huge investments.

Obama won. Romney was soundly repudiated.

The gop better read the tea leaves or some of the predictions by the left on here will become reality

I think the superpacs money made it a lot closer that it otherwise would have been.

No, Obama won because he was a much better candidate, Willard is a clown.

Absolutely, but the answer is other because money kept the 'debate' between only two parties and people. That is the real shame on the country.

There is entirely too much spent in general on elections, but the major problem is the two party dictatorship.

Forum List

Back