Did Michelle Obama Send the Wrong Message With Obesity Comments?

But not by cricizing them or talking about how fat they were.

Some kids go through pudgy phases. It's not a sign of looming obesity, and harranguing them about it at a young age is NOT going to prevent eating disorders.

Toned arms or not, Michelle's own ass is about two axe hundles wide, and the narrowest part of her torso is one inch below her breasts. I

Some kids go through pudgy phases. It's not a sign of looming obesity, and harranguing them about it at a young age is NOT going to prevent eating disorders.

Toned arms or not, Michelle's own ass is about two axe hundles wide, and the narrowest part of her torso is one inch below her breasts. I

That may have been true when you were a child, but look around. The evidence that our kids are not going through a 'pudgy' phase is all around you.

So, tell me. Who would you rather hear the 'woes of weight' from, a 20 something, single, super sleek super model; or a 40 something mother with children struggling to control her weight and the weight of her kids;, but is giving it the ole college try?

You have to be overweight before obesity. As the root of many of our health problems I would think we would applaud the efforts of the first lady to discuss the problem. Personalizing it helps on an issue like this. There is a certain amount of courage that is necessary to speak about it.

On a percentage basis, obesity is a far greater problem than some other eating disorder. The Obama family is no stranger to criticism. I think they can handle it.

humm, kids as props?

First Lady's Mention of Daughters While Discussing Obesity Triggers Debate
By HUMA KHAN
Feb. 5, 2010

Michelle Obama has earned accolades for making healthy living and eliminating childhood obesity a priority as first lady. But when it came down to personalizing the issue in relation to her daughters, the remarks touched a nerve with some, and praise from others.

Michelle Obama shares stories about her family during obesity campaign in Va.The first lady made the issue of healthy eating personal last week at an event in Alexandria, Va., where she kicked off a campaign addressing the issue of childhood obesity.

"We went to our pediatrician all the time," Obama said. "I thought my kids were perfect -- they are and always will be -- but he [the doctor] warned that he was concerned that something was getting off balance."

She's absolutely right. Obesity is the main link to several causes of M/M in our society (CAD, DM, etc).

On average, a diabetic started showing impaired glucose tolerance 12 years before their diagnosis of diabetes (which can only be managed, not cured). Impaired glucose tolerance can be corrected by lifestyle and diet changes and save someone from a lifetime of medications, which saves the system money.

Furthermore, once you are obese, you visceral fat cells can never be eliminated. At best, you can try and burn all the triglycerides out of them and shrink them down. But they are always there, ready to expand if you go off your diet and exercise.

I'm sorry, but if you can't see your kid getting fat then you have a bigger problem than just a fat kid.

Horseshit. Kids go through normal weight fluctuations as they develop. Apparently the doctor noticed a trend early on before it became a real problem and pointed it out to her.

Obesity isn't a "normal weight fluctuation" and if you need a doctor to tell you that your kid is obese then you need to seek counseling yourself.

Actually, the medical definition for obese is a BMI of over 30, and a lot of people with a BMI of 30 don't look "obese". They just look like they have a little bit of extra weight around the midline.

Horseshit. Kids go through normal weight fluctuations as they develop. Apparently the doctor noticed a trend early on before it became a real problem and pointed it out to her.

Obesity isn't a "normal weight fluctuation" and if you need a doctor to tell you that your kid is obese then you need to seek counseling yourself.

Actually, the medical definition for obese is a BMI of over 30, and a lot of people with a BMI of 30 don't look "obese". They just look like they have a little bit of extra weight around the midline.

...or they look like bodybuilders. BMI is a poor indicator of obesity. Percentage body fat is much better.

...or they look like bodybuilders. BMI is a poor indicator of obesity. Percentage body fat is much better.

I understand that. Again, the standard is the standard. It's pretty obvious that a weightlifter is not obese.

That may have been true when you were a child, but look around. The evidence that our kids are not going through a 'pudgy' phase is all around you.

No, obesity is an issue but at the same time, you aren't going to prevent it by MENTIONING YOUR DAUGHTERS ARE OVERWEIGHT on national tv.

And it remains true today. Kids still do go through and grow out of pudgy phases. It hasn't stopped happening just because we've gotten fatter as a nation.

Forum List

Back