Did many blacks willingly immigrate to the US before the civil rights movement at all?

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
There was some black immigration from the Caribbean; from Africa, not so much. But the real story is the huge internal migration of African-Americans from the South to the industrial cities of the North.
So did blacks want civil rights?
Your ideas?
MLK-gesturing-at-March-on-DC.jpg

There was a huge migration (migrations) from the South to industrial cities, having many causes including (in the first wave) treatment by former owners after Emancipation, and (more recently, post WW2) frantic mechanization of agriculture in the South displacing the need for workers in general. In between, in the early 20th century, there was a draw from the emerging automaking technology and related support industries like steel that brought migrations especially to the Midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Ohio).

But I don't think I understand what the question is or how it relates to migrations. On what basis are we asking if blacks wanted civil rights? Why would they not want them?

There was some black immigration from the Caribbean; from Africa, not so much. But the real story is the hugeinternal migration of African-Americans from the South to the industrial cities of the North.

Some blacks immigrated via the sailing and shipping industries.

The northern migration was caused by job opportunities in the North that paid a living wage.

There was some black immigration from the Caribbean; from Africa, not so much. But the real story is the huge internal migration of African-Americans from the South to the industrial cities of the North.
So did blacks want civil rights?
Your ideas?
MLK-gesturing-at-March-on-DC.jpg
They wanted out of the South.

And the Industrial Heartland of the world became the Rust Belt.

I'll leave you to decide if there was any relationship between the blackening of the Old Northwest Territory and the rusting and ghettoization of the once proud Northern cities like Detroit, Chicago, et al.

Forum List

Back