Did man create God

I do think, however, that out of its own vanity and arrogance, humankind does attempt to create an image of God.

I also think that image is nothing like God.

If I was going to create a god, he would be a whole lot more explainable and predictable than the God we have.

But then any god we could create or even explain or predict wouldn't be much of a God would he.

Prove that the guy driving in an oncoming lane isn't gonna cross the line before he passes you.

You are saying I have faith that they will not do that? I assume that is always a possibility and watch for it and as always driving is a crapshoot with your life.

You do have faith that he will not cross, or, in your case, the possibility is remote.

If didn't then you wouldn't drive.

Of course God existed -

He was a local tribal leader who got sick and tired of that cave dwelling hillbilly called Adam and his bitch stealing food from his orchard. Damn monkeys!

So he ran them out of the area.

And the rest is history (kinda halfway).

Not to mention that freak show, snake worshipping friend of their's...what was his name...oh yeah, Satan...what a case!

Prove that the guy driving in an oncoming lane isn't gonna cross the line before he passes you.

You are saying I have faith that they will not do that? I assume that is always a possibility and watch for it and as always driving is a crapshoot with your life.

You do have faith that he will not cross, or, in your case, the possibility is remote.

Experience has taught me that most of them will not cross into my lane.
As I said driving is always a crapshoot with your life.

For the people who disagree with this thread title: What part of of man do you feel is in god's image? Clearly nor our mental capacity, because anyone who questions god is met with some vague hand-waiving of "you can't begin to comprehend his ways". Hopefully not our physical features, because what use would god have with testicles? Or a gall bladder? Theoretically not our frailty. So what part of MAN was made in a god's image?

It's not about proof but faith. Do you have proof that Armstrong landed on the moon? No, you have faith in the newspaper report or the TV feed you saw when he uttered those words "One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind." You were not there so you have to rely on others so you have to have faith in them.
Let's go with that little idea for a moment, and rank the validity of various methods of documenting events. Of the following media, tell me which you feel is the best and worst fidelity?

Single written statement of an event
Multiple written statements verifying the event
Single oral statement of an event, passed down between people
Multiple oral statements verifying an event, passed down between people
Experiencing an event firsthand
Single video of and event
Multiple videos of an event
Multiple videos of a reproducible event

Rank those for me, please.

I don't know if man created God, but if he did, it was a pretty cool invention.;)

Desperation created God, Thor, Allah, Budda....whatever we want to call it that gives us hope in a hopeless situation

I dunno. Maybe God was created so that people could leverage power over their peers, or maybe God doesn't really care either way about human affairs, but exists as some kind of creative energy. Then there's also the possibility that God is dreaming and we all play roles. I have no idea if God is a figment of our imagination, or we are figments of it's own imagination. Whatever it is (or isn't), I'm okay with it.:)

"I do not have faith in anything not proven"

Oh, you can deny it is "faith" all you want,

but that's what it's called when you're going down a two lane with no shoulder, and you see an 18 wheeler coming the opposite way: At some point you just give your life over to the other guy staying on his side of the road. There is NO PROOF that every time you pass, he will stay in his lane.

You yourself said "most of the time:" That means that SOMETIMES they will cross.

Last edited:

but that's what it's called when you're going down a two lane with no shoulder, and you see an 18 wheeler coming the opposite way: At some point you just give your life over to the other guy staying on his side of the road.

that is the crapshoot angle I have been talking about.
It is not faith but rolling the dice and hoping if he swerves over I can respond fast enough to miss him/her.

Faith is believing in something with no factual data to support your belief.
My factual data is that most all of them do not swerve into my lane.
So it is not faith it is more statistics.

I have no factual data of a heaven or hell or god though.
To believe in those takes faith.

You are getting all squiddy over this....

Last edited:

but that's what it's called when you're going down a two lane with no shoulder, and you see an 18 wheeler coming the opposite way: At some point you just give your life over to the other guy staying on his side of the road.

It is not faith but rolling the dice and hoping if he swerves over I can respond fast enough to miss him/her.

Meh, believing in statistics is a faith in and of itself: You're practically making it a religion.

But then again, if I meet something, experience something I am not operating on faith, but on experience or knowledge of the reality of what I have experienced. For me there is factual data.

If you didn't see it or experience it, it is easy for you to assume that there is no factual data.

I will know better, but there is no way that I can convince you unless you happen to trust me implicitly.

Religion can be the ultimate scam.

Do what I say now and you will be rewarded after you die.

That attitude also cheapens the only existence we are proven to have.
Lets make the here and now the best we can instead of killing each other and such.

You seem to be taking into account primarily the Abrahamic religions. Most of the religious history of the world was more about reverence, celebration, and hopes than the ones we see now. There is a human need for many people to practice ritualistic lives, even some of those who are not knowingly religious. Sure religion can be used to instill fear, but that is most certainly not the only focus of religious practice.

But then again, if I meet something, experience something I am not operating on faith, but on experience or knowledge of the reality of what I have experienced. For me there is factual data.

If you didn't see it or experience it, it is easy for you to assume that there is no factual data.

I will know better, but there is no way that I can convince you unless you happen to trust me implicitly.

Exactly: You've basically described the experience of a "Student driver." When we began driving, we had no "experience" in the passing lane (niether did USC). There was no "data."

Now, despite the fact that each passing driver represents the same probability of death and dismemberment as those first drivers we passed, we feel safer telling ourselves that there is "less probability."

Exactly: You've basically described the experience of a "Student driver." When we began driving, we had no "experience" in the passing lane (niether did USC). There was no "data."

Now, despite the fact that each passing driver represents the same probability of death and dismemberment as those first drivers we passed, we feel safer telling ourselves that there is "less probability."

Well there is that too, and I see where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree.

But I'm speaking of something more absolute than just probability assumed via experience.

If I have a close encounter of the third kind in my back yard tonight, and shake hands and converse with a genuine extraterrestrial personage, and then he saucers off ito a distance galaxy leaving no trace behind, I would know with certainty that it happened. But YOU would have to take on faith what I told you about it, and might be unable to believe it.

For many, an up close and personal encounter with God is like that and is quite real to the person experiencing it. That person has the factual data to believe. But it is not so easy to believe by those who have not experienced it.

Religion can be the ultimate scam.

Do what I say now and you will be rewarded after you die.

That attitude also cheapens the only existence we are proven to have.
Lets make the here and now the best we can instead of killing each other and such.

You seem to be taking into account primarily the Abrahamic religions. Most of the religious history of the world was more about reverence, celebration, and hopes than the ones we see now. There is a human need for many people to practice ritualistic lives, even some of those who are not knowingly religious. Sure religion can be used to instill fear, but that is most certainly not the only focus of religious practice.

It is enough to cause reluctance towards clearer forward thinking. The concept of a "god" is a catch all and a cop out to an understanding of the true meaning of "forever forward in time and always has been in the infinite past". We are beginning to realise that our universe has had no beginning and will have no end. That idea that "there must have been a beginning" is strictly human. It is easy to prove wrong because one of the few constants that has never been proven wrong is that matter and or energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Our tiny brains have known that long enough that it should be trusted. Still most of us want to look backwards instead of ahead. It seems we cannot easily believe what is right in front of us. So what was there before the bang? A universe like ours that collapsed to the ball that eventually became unstable and blew up...and on...and on... infinitely before and after our time. I suspect that life evolved through the countless rolling of the dice to a point where the next collapse and bang will spew even better chances of life and on into the future with subsequent bangs seeding the future with progressively richer enviroments.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back