Did Jesus ever work?

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
I know the bible says he was the son of a carpenter (more accurately translated to handyman). But does it actually speak of him doing any work?

how does carpenter equal handyman? I have a beautiful Armoire built by his dad right here.....got hid name on it...

According to a professor of theology at a nearby Methodist Seminary that is an accurate translation.

Yes I used to go there and hang out with them some. Curious activity for an atheist but then I am a curious person.

Seems like Jesus just mooched off of his affluent friends.

Heck they were working to keep the boat from sinking and where was Jesus? Below deck asleep...

how does carpenter equal handyman? I have a beautiful Armoire built by his dad right here.....got hid name on it...

The aramaic word for carpenter used in the NT doesn't mean carpenter as in wood worker, as we recognize the word today. There wasn't that much wood available...Christ probably worked as a builder...though not as an architect...he probably worked with a variety of mediums...wood, stone, daub or whatever they call the mud/straw stuff...

There is a long gap in the bible between Jesus' childhood and when he began his ministry. Most scholars assume these were year in which he was working as a carpenter.

There is a long gap in the bible between Jesus' childhood and when he began his ministry. Most scholars assume these were year in which he was working as a carpenter.

Well that just does not fit these idiots template that Jesus would was just like the occupoopers.

This thread needs to be in Rubber Room.
:cuckoo:

Well that just does not fit these idiots template that Jesus would was just like the occupoopers.

Oh, so now we're all critical 'n shit now that yer not a mod........:eusa_whistle:

He worked six days. and rested on the seventh , before he came in the flesh to save the world - no greater work has been done!

You want it in there with you?

This thread represents a valid question.

I know the bible says he was the son of a carpenter (more accurately translated to handyman). But does it actually speak of him doing any work?

Carpenters worked as ship and boat builders. Carpenters built roof systems and what we today call roof trusses. They built supports or centring for laying up stone and brick arch work. As is the case now, masons (always a very important specialty) had to have all the skills of carpentry framing.

There were plenty of cedar trees just up the Mediterranean coast in the Levant, IE "The Cedars of Lebanon" From there the wood parts of temples and structures were supplied all around the region, including for ship building. The Phoenicians controlled the Lebanon, and were in alliance with the Hebrews, with the Hebrews serving as their land based working population, for instance scribes, stock and warehouse keepers.

Last edited:

The aramaic word for carpenter used in the NT doesn't mean carpenter as in wood worker, as we recognize the word today. There wasn't that much wood available...Christ probably worked as a builder...though not as an architect...he probably worked with a variety of mediums...wood, stone, daub or whatever they call the mud/straw stuff...

τέκτων (Tekton) is not Aramaic, it is Greek. It is the same word used for what we would call a shipwright. It can be used for any craftsman, including a poet. Anyone that tries to tie it back to an Aramaic word is using nothing but conjecture. It is the same mindset that once called Koine a language that was made up for the Bible because it is not the language of the classics.

Jesus worked a lot better back in the day, especially when taken in conjunction with vitamin C just before or after a meal. It seems that Jesus works less and less lately, however, as heavy, widespread application has caused many bacteria to mutate and become immune. I blame the trial lawyers association. With constant fear of overblown malpractice lawsuits, many doctors are only too quick to over-prescribe.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back